What's new

Opinion ?? (1 Viewer)

Keats

Auditioning
Real Name
James Keating
I have a Bose Life Style Home Entertainment System. Model # AV18 with a Base Module PS48. Needless to say it's about 16 years old now. For the past couple of years the sound has been fading out occasionally and I have to increase the volume to get it to come back, then turn it back down again. When it's working correctly, the sound is very good. Bose is no longer servicing this item. So, perhaps it's time to replace it.
I'd really like to continue to use the Bose speakers and swapping them out would be a hassle - ceiling mounted etc.
I'm looking for suggestions for a replacement receiver to replace the AV18 unit and I need information about how I could hook up the existing speakers to a new receiver. The Base module I have now uses an "S" cable from the Bose AV18 and then the individual speakers plug into the base module.
Perhaps I would have to plug each speaker into the respective socket on a new receiver and I'd need a new Sub Woofer to complete the system. I really am not very well versed in things like this so if this sounds goofy, please excuse me.
Should I look for a good receiver (recommendations please) and a new Sub Woofer and just try to get the Bose speakers to work with it or do I look for all new speakers ?
I searched the Bose manuals and can't find anything about how many ohms the Bose speakers use. Anyone got that info so I don't do something stupid when I do eventually hook up the Bose speakers to a non Bose receiver.

I'm open to any and all suggestions

Thanks,
Keats
Peoria, Az.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Those Bose Lifestyle systems are proprietary and not really compatible with anything else. Unfortunately, they are an all-or-nothing system and individual components can’t be replaced.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
^What he said. Most HTIBs like the one you have were designed to not be upgradable. It is what it is.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
And for the money that Bose would take from your pocket for something new, you could purchase a very respectable receiver and at least 5.1 surround speakers that will sound worlds better than what you’ve been listening to for years. Bose is basically good at marketing and not much else.

Keats

Auditioning
Real Name
James Keating
So the consensus is to scrap the Bose and look for a receiver and speakers to replace it.
I keep seeing various makes such as Yamaha, Denon, Onyko, etc. Bang for the buck, any suggestions.?
Same thing for the speakers. Keep it the same brand ? 5.1 meaning 5 speakers and a subwoofer ?

Thanks everyone..

Keats
Peoria, Az.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The receiver can be one brand. The speakers are best if they are all from the same line of a different brand than the receiver. The sub can be an entirely different brand. In fact, it should be a different brand, because there are brands that specialize in subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks