What's new

Going to buy new floor and center channel, need assistance please (1 Viewer)

goodman770

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Hello everyone,

First Post!!!!

I started looking at upgrading my HT system. I recently replaced the receiver and here is what I've got:

Keeping:
Dennon X1300 (80 WPC)
Velodyne Sub

Looking to upgrade:
Klipsch KSF 8.5
Polk Center Channel
Polk rear bookshelf

What I'm looking for: Mostly HT, occasional music.
You know when you go into the HT store and you hear those movies...and it just sounds amazing? I want that. I know they are probably using 20k+ of equipment....but I'd like to get 80% there?

I'll try to compartmentalize my questions:

1. I'd like to buy the same type of floor/center speakers. For both, I'd like to stay under 2k.
2. Bookshelf speakers, under 1k...preferebly less.
3. I don't think I realized the Klipsch I have were no longer made after 1999. Yikes. They certainly sound good to me, but do you guys think there will be a big difference in upgrading? Here are the specs:
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 36Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB
POWER HANDLING 75 watts maximum continuous (300 watts peak)
SENSITIVITY 94dB @ 1watt/1meter
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms
TWEETER K-97-KV 1" (2.54cm) Polymer dome compression driver
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN 6" square 90(o)x60(o) Tractrix(r) Horn
WOOFER K-1054-KV 8" (20.32cm) Poly cone
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)
ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass reflex via rear-mounted port
DIMENSIONS 35.75" (90.8cm) x 10.25" (26cm) x 12.5" (31.8cm)
WEIGHT 47 lbs. (21.3kg)
FINISHES Black, Rosewood vinyl
BUILT FROM 1997
BUILT UNTIL 1999

I'm thinking I will replace the floor and center first....then the rear. I have to have my system setup at lower volumes at night, and have a tile floor with a large area rug/sectional.

I'd appreciate anyone's feedback on their thoughts...thanks!

citywalker

Agent
Real Name
Marco
I would keep the Klipsch, they are very sensitive and easy to play. Try to find matching Klipsch center speaker. And then...spend a lot of money to buy a good subwoofer. And voila, you got the same wow like in the shop!

Prince

Auditioning
Real Name
Diego Montero
Hello everyone,

First Post!!!!

I started looking at upgrading my HT system. I recently replaced the receiver and here is what I've got:

Keeping:
Dennon X1300 (80 WPC)
Velodyne Sub

Looking to upgrade:
Klipsch KSF 8.5
Polk Center Channel
Polk rear bookshelf

What I'm looking for: Mostly HT, occasional music.
You know when you go into the HT store and you hear those movies...and it just sounds amazing? I want that. I know they are probably using 20k+ of equipment....but I'd like to get 80% there?

I'll try to compartmentalize my questions:

1. I'd like to buy the same type of floor/center speakers. For both, I'd like to stay under 2k.
2. Bookshelf speakers, under 1k...preferebly less.
3. I don't think I realized the Klipsch I have were no longer made after 1999. Yikes. They certainly sound good to me, but do you guys think there will be a big difference in upgrading? Here are the specs:
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 36Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB
POWER HANDLING 75 watts maximum continuous (300 watts peak)
SENSITIVITY 94dB @ 1watt/1meter
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms
TWEETER K-97-KV 1" (2.54cm) Polymer dome compression driver
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN 6" square 90(o)x60(o) Tractrix(r) Horn
WOOFER K-1054-KV 8" (20.32cm) Poly cone
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)
ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass reflex via rear-mounted port
DIMENSIONS 35.75" (90.8cm) x 10.25" (26cm) x 12.5" (31.8cm)
WEIGHT 47 lbs. (21.3kg)
FINISHES Black, Rosewood vinyl
BUILT FROM 1997
BUILT UNTIL 1999

I'm thinking I will replace the floor and center first....then the rear. I have to have my system setup at lower volumes at night, and have a tile floor with a large area rug/sectional.

I'd appreciate anyone's feedback on their thoughts...thanks!
I found your post very vague on equipment . Either way if you have a budget of $2k for floors and center. You should consider the klipsch RF-7's and RC-64ii. You can probably find them on eBay for close to your budget. Your going to have to upgrade your receiver if you want better sound. If not your going to have to go with smaller speakers. Other wise you will underpower them or not get good performance. You could also consider bookshelfs for fronts and surrounds with a medium center. There's many options really. Your budget is pretty good. Just in case your interested, I'm selling my klipsch 250s surrounds. I don't use them much with my new set up.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Klipsch makes pretty efficient speakers. If you added a subwoofer, as Marco suggested, and configure your speakers in the Denon 1300W as "small", your receiver should have more than enough power to drive them.

Klipsch have a unique sound with their horn tweeters, so you will definitely want a matching Klipsch center speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks