What's new

Rumor: Remastered Rocky and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly on the way (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
dpippel said:
I couldn't find the new TGTBATU listed for pre-order on Amazon either.
Hopefully it is listed soon. Some more details would be nice as well.

Or could it be a June release here in the US? Timed with Eastwood's birthday and Fathers Day?

*****UPDATE!!!

It's another trilogy set like the multi film Rocky set...

http://www.amazon.com/With-Trilogy-Remastered-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B00HZN8TBC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1390533162&sr=8-4&keywords=the+man+with+no+name+blu+ray

All of the films were remastered properly this time then?

I'm VERY interested, but will wait to hear what the reviews are like. I do have the previous Man With No Name trilogy set on blu ray.

I just read a review of the 4K Robocop blu ray and it sounds like the transfer is very well done.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Is "Rocky" the single most remastered movie in the history of cinema?

Letterboxed and remastered for vhs and laserdisc, remastered countless times for dvd, remastered for bluray and probably give it another two blasts of remastering before the decade is out -- I don't think even the Shroud of Turin has undergone such microscopic cleanups and digital;pampering than the camera negatives of "Rocky"

If UA or whoever is going to give a remastering assault on a movie franchise, how about doing it to something that hasn't received such royal treatment? My nomination would be "The Pink Panther" -- every picture, including "Return" (leased from Universal) plus Alan Arkin and the two Steve Martin ones, all in one nice little package.

If UA (or I think probably Warner Bros) wanted to be truly brave, the ultimate white whale -- "Gilligan's Island - 50th Anniversary' on bluray, including all 4 reunion movies and two cartoon series.....now, let's see some studio try that one on for size.....

DSmith1984

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Everything I've read indicates that only TGTBTU was actually remastered in this upcoming set. There is the remote possibility that the other 2 Dollars films will be upgraded in some fashion (i.e. using the masters from the German BD releases) but all indications are that this release is gonna simply be a re-release of the previous Man With No Name trilogy set but with the remastered TGTBTU taking the place of the original disc.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Sorry for being a little behind the curve on this one, can anyone help?

I've tried to do a bit of reading, and from what I can tell, with the current US/UK MGM boxed set, For A Few Dollars More isn't too bad,, and other releases are not as good, or at least no better.

As I understand it, the German version of Fistful of Dollars is good, is that right?

If so, is this the correct German version, and does is have English audio?

http://www.amazon.de/F%C3%BCr-eine-Handvoll-Dollar-Blu-ray/dp/B00A990CT6/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1390646972&sr=1-3&keywords=good+bad+ugly

If that is correct, then with the German Fistful, the UK/US Few Dollars More, and (hopefully) the new 4K TGTBATU, we should have a decent trilogy, right? Or have I missed something?

Steve W

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
DSmith1984 said:
Everything I've read indicates that only TGTBTU was actually remastered in this upcoming set. There is the remote possibility that the other 2 Dollars films will be upgraded in some fashion (i.e. using the masters from the German BD releases) but all indications are that this release is gonna simply be a re-release of the previous Man With No Name trilogy set but with the remastered TGTBTU taking the place of the original disc.
It will be great to get some confirmed specs and details about the set. I would be interested if all 3 films were remastered. I'm waiting for more information at this point before placing my order.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
This label on Amazon "should" indicate that all 3 films have been scanned at 4K. It would be strange if only one film in the set was remastered at 4K.
Man With No Name Trilogy 4K Remastered Edition [Blu-ray]

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Yorkshire said:
Sorry for being a little behind the curve on this one, can anyone help?

I've tried to do a bit of reading, and from what I can tell, with the current US/UK MGM boxed set, For A Few Dollars More isn't too bad,, and other releases are not as good, or at least no better.

As I understand it, the German version of Fistful of Dollars is good, is that right?

If so, is this the correct German version, and does is have English audio?

http://www.amazon.de/F%C3%BCr-eine-Handvoll-Dollar-Blu-ray/dp/B00A990CT6/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1390646972&sr=1-3&keywords=good+bad+ugly

If that is correct, then with the German Fistful, the UK/US Few Dollars More, and (hopefully) the new 4K TGTBATU, we should have a decent trilogy, right? Or have I missed something?

Steve W
Yorkshire,

If you read the Sergio Leone thread, http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/325032-sergio-leone-blu-ray-thread/, you will find a lot of details about the various versions/releases of all of the major Leone movies.

I have the Italian release of "A Fistful of Dollars", the German release of "For A Few Dollars More" and the Italian release of "The Good, The Bad And The Ugly". Only the first two have English audio - I have seen TGTBTU so many times, I did not find the lack of understanding Italian a problem to enjoying the superior picture quality and sound.

Although I should wait to read reviews of the 4K before ordering it, I am such a sucker for this movie that I will order it anyway and hopefully will see a strong remaster and presentation as happened on a number of other problematic releases ( e.g. Patton, Robocop, Predator etc... )

Regards,

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Osato said:
It will be great to get some confirmed specs and details about the set. I would be interested if all 3 films were remastered. I'm waiting for more information at this point before placing my order.
I'm right there with you on this. However, since in my case TGTBATU is one of my favorite films of all time I *may* bite even if the other two aren't remastered. I'm hoping that they ARE and I won't be put in that position. Do you hear me MGM? ;)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
SAhmed said:
Yorkshire,

If you read the Sergio Leone thread, http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/325032-sergio-leone-blu-ray-thread/, you will find a lot of details about the various versions/releases of all of the major Leone movies.

I have the Italian release of "A Fistful of Dollars", the German release of "For A Few Dollars More" and the Italian release of "The Good, The Bad And The Ugly". Only the first two have English audio - I have seen TGTBTU so many times, I did not find the lack of understanding Italian a problem to enjoying the superior picture quality and sound.

Although I should wait to read reviews of the 4K before ordering it, I am such a sucker for this movie that I will order it anyway and hopefully will see a strong remaster and presentation as happened on a number of other problematic releases ( e.g. Patton, Robocop, Predator etc... )

Regards,
You thought the ultimate hunter edition of Predator was a strong re-master. ?

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
FoxyMulder said:
You thought the ultimate hunter edition of Predator was a strong re-master. ?
Foxy Mulder,

I was referring to the release that came about a year after the initial waxy, dnr'ed to death release. I don't know if that is what is used in the Ultimate Hunter Edition ( I don't have it ) but the second release was so much better than the first to my eyes. Now I would agree that the difference is not the night and day difference we have seen with the other two or even Gladiator.

Regards,

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
SAhmed said:
Foxy Mulder,

I was referring to the release that came about a year after the initial waxy, dnr'ed to death release. I don't know if that is what is used in the Ultimate Hunter Edition ( I don't have it ) but the second release was so much better than the first to my eyes. Now I would agree that the difference is not the night and day difference we have seen with the other two or even Gladiator.

Regards,
I have the original release of Predator, not that bad really although far from perfect, it stands up okay when viewing at 104 inches, i was unaware they re-released a better edition of Predator a year after the ultimate hunter edition, i was under the impression all re-releases have contained that edition.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
SAhmed said:
Yorkshire,

Regards,
Okay.

The two German releases (1 & 2) have English audio, great video quality, and are just 10 Euros each, so I can buy them without worry, right?

Then if the new 4K TGTBATU is fine, I'm sorted.

Correct?

Steve W

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Yorkshire said:
The two German releases (1 & 2) have English audio, great video quality, and are just 10 Euros each, so I can buy them without worry, right?
I have the two German releases and they are perfect. Buy with confidence.

The only thing you have to worry about the new GBU disc is if they include the original mono or the god awful 5.1 repurpose with the "new" gun sounds. I had to sync up the original mono to the Italian transfer to overcome this (with the 5.1 spliced in where appropriate for the added scenes).

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The German edition of A Fistful of Dollars is superior but For A Few Dollars More is the same except that the USA release has a bit more cleanup done in a select few scenes, example below showing cleanup, both look like they use the same master.

Maybe minor encoding differences, film grain slightly better ( German ) in a few caps below but is that visible upon viewing, still if it was me i'd certainly purchase the German edition as it is so cheap and it's better to buy that than import the USA one.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=2167&disc2=343&cap1=20106&cap2=3590&art=full&image=9&hd_multiID=83&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Yorkshire said:
Okay.

Then if the new 4K TGTBATU is fine, I'm sorted.

Correct?

Steve W
Yes that's right and given the price, jump right in !

I, too, have the German release of AFOD but also bought the Italian release. The presentation is pretty much the same but comes as a special edition and it "feels like it" (even though I can't read the accompanying significant booklet but can admire the reproduction lobby cards etc... :) ) - it's not the typical "box of junk". Physical size wise it's about a double amaray case i.e. a thick dvd case.

One of the joys of being region free. Or is it a curse ;)

Regards,

DSmith1984

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Billy Batson said:
Amazon UK are showing a pre-order for just The Good The Bad & The Ugly for April 14th. It's a bit expensive at £18.61, but they probably haven't got a price yet so are just covering themselves, it is two & a half months away.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Bad-Ugly-Blu-ray/dp/B00I04E21G/ref=sr_1_11?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1390666626&sr=1-11&keywords=the+good+the+bad+and+the+ugly
I would also add that to me, and this is pure speculation on my part, since we're seeing a single release listing overseas just like the upcoming Rocky release and since this is the same company releasing both sets, combined with the fact that the previews we've seen only showed clips from TGTBTU, I think all these things together confirm that it's only TGTBTU that got the 4K treatment and that the first 2 dollars films are simple repackages.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
DSmith1984 said:
I would also add that to me, and this is pure speculation on my part, since we're seeing a single release listing overseas just like the upcoming Rocky release and since this is the same company releasing both sets, combined with the fact that the previews we've seen only showed clips from TGTBTU, I think all these things together confirm that it's only TGTBTU that got the 4K treatment and that the first 2 dollars films are simple repackages.
Previews?

Hopefully there is more information published about the set very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks