What's new

Rumor: Remastered Rocky and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly on the way (1 Viewer)

John-Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I've held off G,B&U because i wanted the original English version, without the bad dubbing inserts. Ditto Fantasia, Enter The Dragon, Spartacus...

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Ronald Epstein said:
Just hate to keep buying this stuff over and over again because the
studios can't get it right the first time.

Such is life.
Well, the studios could get it right the first time, every time.

Perhaps what is needed is a team from HTF to examine each film before it is released, and we can tell them whether it's ready. I'm only partially kidding.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
John-Weller said:
I've held off G,B&U because i wanted the original English version, without the bad dubbing inserts. Ditto Fantasia, Enter The Dragon, Spartacus...
Yeah you keep dreaming that impossible dream with Fantasia and Spartacus.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Lord Dalek said:
Yeah you keep dreaming that impossible dream with Fantasia and Spartacus.
I have a FANTASIA with as much of Deems Taylor's voice restored as exists on Blu-ray. It gets complicated because the introductions to the soundtrack and Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria are alternate takes in the general release version verses the roadshow. When his voice changes is the indication of material cut after the roadshow. So much of the additional introductions are a waste of time - they would've been better left in some supplement.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Chuck Pennington said:
I have a FANTASIA with as much of Deems Taylor's voice restored as exists on Blu-ray. It gets complicated because the introductions to the soundtrack and Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria are alternate takes in the general release version verses the roadshow. When his voice changes is the indication of material cut after the roadshow. So much of the additional introductions are a waste of time - they would've been better left in some supplement.
I never did upgrade from my laserdisc of Fantasia. It just seemed silly to me to add newly found footage of Deems Taylor and then dub his entire narration.

Getting back on topic, I'd buy a new TGTB&TU if the alleged new version turns out to be like the Patton remaster.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well again they had no choice. The original raw Fantasound tracks for the roadshow cut linking material was lost back in the fifties and isn't coming back anytime soon... That being said, it would have been nice if Disney had found SOMEBODY who sounded like Deems Taylor.

Frankly I prefer the 1947 cut myself since those introductions were painfully long winded originally as the reconstructed cut shows.

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
A new Rocky transfer correcting the problems with the current release would be most welcome! Mark me down as a definite "will buy." Hope this news is true.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Donald Aaron said:
Remastered Rocky listed here @ Sainsburys: link
Thanks for the update. Any news on The Good, The Bad and The Ugly?

It lists Fox as the distributor. I was hoping for Criterion.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Looks like Rocky and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is coming for sure..

Part of MGM's 90th anniversary celebration..

"Additionally, several of MGM's signature films including Rocky, Rain Man, Fargo, RoboCop and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, have been meticulously restored in 4K resolution (four times the clarity of HD) and will be presented on Blu-ray™ for a beautiful, high-definition home viewing experience. These re-releases will be issued through MGM's home entertainment partner, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, and are now available for pre-order on Amazon."

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=13057

I did a quick search on Amazon and I was unable to find the 4K Rocky or The Good, The Bad and The Ugly listed.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
TravisR said:
I believe that, as of now, the new Rocky disc is only available as part of the box set coming on February 11.
Interesting move. All of the other Rocky films will not be remastered in the new set?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I sure hope that both cuts will be on the disc, but I doubt it. That would make too much sense. ;)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
It looks like it's only being released as The Man With No Name Trilogy in 4K! Gotta buy that box again?! Note to MGM: I'm sending you my original copy of TMWNNT and you are sending me the new remastered 4k set. What are you gonna do with the old version I'm sending? I don't know but I have a suggestion.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Brandon Conway said:
I'm pretty sure MGM considers the shorter cut no longer relevant, similar to Sony's position on the shorter cuts of Lawrence of Arabia.
At least with Lawrence of Arabia, it is a true, director-approved final version. I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Leone himself supervised the editing of the international version of TGTBATU, so I'm not sure which one he would have preferred.

While I'm glad the restored version exists, I do wish both cuts would be offered, as the shorter one is the version that became a classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks