What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs (1937) (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It has the same audio tracks as the previous blu-rays, with the omission of the 24-bit DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 surround track.
Not sure why they didn't include that in this release.
The .1 overruled the 7 ... ;)!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was able to buy it at my local Best Buy today, although I had to get them to go in the back and find it. They're not good about getting the new stuff out on the shelves right away these days.
Mine arrived today from Best Buy.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I received a shipping notice from DMC ...
1696985355466.png

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My local Best Buy had three copies of the keepcase version and three copies of the steelbook. I got the former. The website indicates that there are two regular and three steelbooks remaining at that store. So it seems I was the only one to pick it up there today.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
In the other forum they say the original mono is NOT included.
Here's the info:

Originally Posted by simon333 View Post
Disc Title: SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS
Disc Size: 64,192,178,532 bytes
Protection: AACS2
Playlist: 00800.MPLS
Size: 63,281,971,200 bytes
Length: 1:23:09.859
Total Bitrate: 101.46 Mbps
Video: MPEG-H HEVC Video / 86531 kbps / 2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 10 bits / HDR10 / BT.2020
Audio: English / DTS-HD Master Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 3034 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit / DN -4dB)
Audio: English / Dolby Digital Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 320 kbps / DN -27dB
Audio: French / DTS-HD High-Res Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 2046 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit / DN -4dB)
Audio: Spanish / Dolby Digital Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps / DN -27dB
Audio: German / DTS-HD High-Res Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 2046 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit / DN -4dB)
Audio: Italian / Dolby Digital Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps / DN -27dB
Audio: Japanese / Dolby Digital Plus Audio / 7.1 / 48 kHz / 1024 kbps / DN -27dB (AC3 Embedded: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 576 kbps / DN -27dB)
Subtitle: French / 19.084 kbps
Subtitle: Spanish / 22.731 kbps
Subtitle: German / 26.955 kbps
Subtitle: Italian / 19.013 kbps
Subtitle: Japanese / 16.702 kbps
Subtitle: French / 0.089 kbps
Subtitle: Spanish / 0.321 kbps
Subtitle: German / 0.105 kbps
Subtitle: Italian / 0.079 kbps
Subtitle: English / 28.770 kbps

That Dolby Digital 2.0 is the audio descriptive track!
If that's so, that is so disappointing again!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In the other forum they say the original mono is NOT included.
Here's the info:

That Dolby Digital 2.0 is the audio descriptive track!
If that's so, that is so disappointing again!
That is true, there is no mono audio track without audio description. TBH, this 4K/UHD format is not the best home video format for film purists that only wants classic movies to look and sound like they did when they were first filmed.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I read years ago that the original negatives for Snow White and Pinocchio no longer existed. While this new 4K disc is nice, it is soft and not breathtaking like the recent 4K of Cinderella.
Does anyone know the source material for this 4K release? It certainly looks one step removed from the 4K purity of Cinderella.
I wish the next 4K effort would be Sleeping Beauty. The Techirama negative is essentially 70mm and could deliver 4 times the detail and resolution of all other Disney animated feature except The Black Cauldron.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Everything I’ve seen about the restoration says its from the negative, but that may just be media hype for all I know. I’m hoping Robert Harris’ review will shed some light on the subject. I do recall reading that Pinocchio’s negative had suffered water damage at some point (I want to say I read it in an article about Sleeping Beauty’s initial Blu-Ray release, but I don’t remember), so there’s some plausibility there. And yes, I second a 4K release of Sleeping Beauty.

Edit: I found the article where I read Pinocchio’s negative was water damaged.

And then, there are certainly other issues, like Pinocchio actually – it was water damaged on the original negative from where it was originally stored. Something happened to it. It was stuck in water, but you can’t see that anymore.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
While this new 4K disc is nice, it is soft and not breathtaking like the recent 4K of Cinderella.

We watched the iTunes version last night and I agree: it does look softer than Cinderella. There is a very large part of me that still says Snow White looks great for an 86-year-old movie, though.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I thought it looked fantastic, though I wish the original mono had been included. I don't know enough about the production history or subsequent preservation of the negative (especially as compared to Cinderella) to offer an informed opinion about the accuracy of the visual presentation. All I know is the new disc thoroughly impressed me.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Amazon, in their infinite wisdom, as well as confusion, delivered this to me yesterday, so I watched it last night. I'm not an expert either, but I thought it looked terrific, much superior to the former Blu-Ray. Yes, there's grain, but more to the point, everything now has a solidity and dimensionality that was previous lacking. Snow White's face, for instance, in the scene by the well. Previously, her skin seemed paper thin, her lips smeary whenever they moved. That's no longer the case. It's now much more lifelike and organic. And there are more details in the drawing that weren't there before. Take the woodman. On the previous Blu-Ray, he was utterly lacking in detail, a stick figure. And now, he seems so alive. And the colors are much richer, aligned with the contours of the face so it stands out, creating not only depth but emotion. When the film opened in 1938, Frank Nugent, in the NY Times, wrote about the color, about how rich and lifelike it was, the greatest use of 3-strip Technicolor he had seen, so for most of the film's length, you didn't realize you were watching animation. That didn't come across at all in the previous Blu-Ray, but it does now.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I read years ago that the original negatives for Snow White and Pinocchio no longer existed. While this new 4K disc is nice, it is soft and not breathtaking like the recent 4K of Cinderella.
Does anyone know the source material for this 4K release? It certainly looks one step removed from the 4K purity of Cinderella.
RAH has already explained this—14 years ago:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I was able to buy it at my local Best Buy today, although I had to get them to go in the back and find it. They're not good about getting the new stuff out on the shelves right away these days.

That's the way it is with my local (in-town) Beast Buy. Not just getting them on the shelves the first day or two -- I suspect it's a staffing issue -- but there's been too many instances of them seemingly not getting some of the exclusive SteelBooks at all. So, I selected the next closest (30 minutes away) as my default store. It's in a major mall, so it's usually well stocked.

Oddly enough, because of some errands I was on yesterday, I was in the vicinity of my default store mid-afternoon, and they were sold out of the Snow White, both SB and regular edition. I stopped at my in-town store on the way home, and turns out they had a few copies of each edition out in the racks. So I was able to get a SteelBook.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Just send all the audio through one speaker. That'll solve the problem.

Yes, I'm just kidding.
Ha - the surround mix on Snow White is thankfully pretty restrained. I'm not an expert on the original sound mix by any means, but I was only distracted by a few LFE effects that seemed out of character for a 1937 production.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
My Mum used to say, "Isn't it interesting, how in Disney films all the really evil characters are clever and beautiful, and all the good characters are stupid?" ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks