What's new

Rumor: Remastered Rocky and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly on the way (1 Viewer)

DSmith1984

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Osato said:
Previews?

Hopefully there is more information published about the set very soon.
I mean the video previews we saw recently showing upcoming releases for MGM's 90th Anniversary. The only clips in those videos were from TGTBTU. Nothing from the other 2 films.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
DSmith1984 said:
I mean the video previews we saw recently showing upcoming releases for MGM's 90th Anniversary. The only clips in those videos were from TGTBTU. Nothing from the other 2 films.
Got it. I saw the preview now as well.

I hope all 3 films are remastered in the set. As the title seems to state on amazon.

Doesn't sound promising though..

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I agree that with the set being called the "Man With No Name Trilogy 4K Remastered Edition" one would assume that the entire trilogy is getting 4k treatment. Of course it will probably end up being called something generic like "The Gunslinger Edition" or something to dodge that kind of issue.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I'm happy to wait until both Rocky and The Good, The Bad and the Ugly come out, are reviewed, and demonstrate clear improvements over the current editions (probably not hard for TGTBTU). Also, I think it's highly likely that both movies will be the only ones that are remastered in their respective boxed sets. Then a few months later the individual copies will be released. There's no hurry, I'll grab the singles.

Note that if they are really remastered in 4K, then we need to keep in mind that they'll probably be among the first to be released on a 4K medium like 4K Blu-ray. So it might not be worth buying on BD if a year or two later you're going to pick it up on 4K native media. With the prominence of these titles, it seems highly likely that this is what's going to happen.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well I guess those rumors of a Criterion GBU turned out to be a load of bunk.
Good! I didn't want a region A locked release, & I'm not interested in a load of extras either. Just a really great looking HD transfer of the film I enjoyed at the cinema all those years ago.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Side bar question. I love the soundtrack for TGTBTU, but I am unable to find the other 2 films on cd. I've looked on amazon & iTunes , but many of the soundtracks for Fistful Of Dollars & A Few Dollars More appear to be boots from the dvds. Any suggestions for finding quality copies of the first 2 scores on cd? I'm surprised Intrada or La La Land hasn't issued them.

Thanks!!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Osato said:
Side bar question. I love the soundtrack for TGTBTU, but I am unable to find the other 2 films on cd. I've looked on amazon & iTunes , but many of the soundtracks for Fistful Of Dollars & A Few Dollars More appear to be boots from the dvds. Any suggestions for finding quality copies of the first 2 scores on cd? I'm surprised Intrada or La La Land hasn't issued them.

Thanks!!
You have to import from Italy.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EGEIVW/ref=dm_rogue_cd
http://www.amazon.com/Per-Qualche-Dollaro-Ennio-Morricone/dp/B0098WWBQ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1390765017&sr=1-1&keywords=Per+Qualche+Dollaro+In+Piu

As you can see they aren't cheap.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Lord Dalek said:
Hmm. I was looking for the scores without effects and dialogue.

The second link for A Few Dollars More indicates that they have dialogue and sound effects.

Vinyl then?
Why haven't the scores been issued in the US on cd??

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Osato said:
Hmm. I was looking for the scores without effects and dialogue.The second link for A Few Dollars More indicates that they have dialogue and sound effects.
Yeah the original music tapes for the first two Dollars are long lost outside of the Stereo album masters (which IIRC are on those Italian albums). They had to use ME dubbing masters for the rest.Nearly all of GBU exists (albeit mostly in mono safeties).

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Many thanks for the help, information and advice.

Foxy, thanks for the links - those two are identical apart from the clean up of dirt. Every grain was identical in the portions I studied.

I already have the UK boxed set, so it looks like I have '2' covered. I'll be ordering '1' from Germany later in the week.

As for '3', I'll be buying the 4K release. To be honest, unless it turns out to be a travesty, I'd be buying this even if the original UK/US Blu-ray Disc looked as good as the Italian.

Steve W

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Lord Dalek said:
Yeah the original music tapes for the first two Dollars are long lost outside of the Stereo album masters (which IIRC are on those Italian albums). They had to use ME dubbing masters for the rest.Nearly all of GBU exists (albeit mostly in mono safeties).
It appears Itunes has a listing for Fistful of Dollars soundtrack. Is this the same version as the Italian one?

I would send a link, but I only see it in iTunes app and not on the iTunes webpage...

iTunes also has For A Few Dollars More listed as well. Only 2 tracks have sound effects then? Was the original album soundtrack the same way with dialogue on it as well?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I have the 21 track release from Capitol, TGTBTU (Expanded) and it looks the same as the import you linked.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Just a heads-up: the Capitol TGTBTG release is NOT identical to the import. For the US version, they simply merged the tracks from the expanded release with those from their old album. The Italian one remastered all of it from scratch, sounds better, and the finale cue is a full minute longer (an it's an important minute!).

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Patrick H. said:
Just a heads-up: the Capitol TGTBTG release is NOT identical to the import. For the US version, they simply merged the tracks from the expanded release with those from their old album. The Italian one remastered all of it from scratch, sounds better, and the finale cue is a full minute longer (an it's an important minute!).
Good to know! I read about the last track on the US soundtrack version being 2 minutes shorter last night. Crazy!

Any more news on the BD set release of the The Man With No Name?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Still no news on whether all films are newly restored at 4K then?

I saw the preorder price has increased.

I may try and sell my current bd copy and then decide.

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Seppo
Any chance this might include the shorter, original U.S. theatrical cut of the film too or just the so called "director's cut"?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Seppo said:
Any chance this might include the shorter, original U.S. theatrical cut of the film too or just the so called "director's cut"?
Including both versions would be nice.

Hopefully there is more information coming with the full announcement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks