What's new

Roger Ebert to undergo cancer surgery (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
According to Chicago Sun-Times television columnist Robert Feder, Ebert is set to undergo cancer surgery on Friday to remove a cancerous growth on his thyroid. Read the story here.
Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
All the best to Ebert and his surgery, here's hoping for 100% success. I like to read his reviews each week when they come out.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I seriously, seriously hope the man makes a full, speedy recovery. He's a cultural resource and a genuine wit. We need him.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
From the Chicago Sun-Times article:

"I'm not doing this for the money; honestly, I'm not," Ebert once told an interviewer. "I do this because I love movies and I love to write about them. I care about movies, not as a fan, but because they enhance my life and the lives of others."
He couldn't have said it better. Having attended his Overlooked Film Festival last year (and purchased my pass for this year's fest), I definitely took note of his passion for what he does. My prayers are with him.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
There's a disturbing parallel in that Roger's partner Gene Siskel died of brain cancer. I'm hoping the parallels end there. :frowning:

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Disturbing news. The good news is thyroid cancer is operable and cureable and not nearly as dangeous as what Gene Siskel had. Here's hoping everything turns out OK.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I NEVER miss an Ebert show...He doesn't know me, but I count him as a friend.

I hope he reads these messages and knows we are all thinking of him.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I too hope for a full recovery and that he gets to enjoy many more years of life and watching movies!

Plus, for purely selfish reasons, I wish he gets well so I get to enjoy his reviews for a long time to come.

/Mike

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I hope the surgery goes well.

Ebert is the only film critic I know of that has such a wide range of liked films. His reviews are also extremely entertaining and informative.

...I'm hoping this cancer wasn't caused by some of the crappy movies Ebert had to review!

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
The film world's already lost Siskel, and I don't want to imagine it without Ebert either.

Here's hoping for a quick recovery.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
There's a disturbing parallel in that Roger's partner Gene Siskel died of brain cancer. I'm hoping the parallels end there.
Speaking of disturbing parallels, one that was not as well known outside of Chicago was that Gene Siskel's roommate at Yale, Tim Weigel, also died of brain cancer about two years after Gene did. Weigel had been a television sportscaster in Chicago for decades and was best friends with Gene. Gene's death devasted him. Weigel's passing a scant two years later was a huge shock here.
Seems as though Roger's cancer is far more treatable and the prognosis is much brighter. Looking forward to a fast and complete recovery for him. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks