What's new

Roger Ebert To Undergo Cancer Treatment (1 Viewer)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I wish him well.

Roger Ebert to have radiation for cancer

CHICAGO (AP) — Film critic Roger Ebert will undergo radiation treatment for cancer next month.

The treatment will be for a cancerous tumor in Ebert's salivary gland, the Chicago Sun-Times reported in its Wednesday editions.

Ebert will undergo radiation treatment for a cancerous tumor.

The 61-year-old critic underwent surgery twice in February 2002 for cancer in his thyroid and salivary gland.

He said treatment for the malignant tumor will begin later this month after he returns from a family trip to France.

"I will, however, continue to see movies, write reviews and do the Ebert & Roeper television show," Ebert wrote Tuesday in an e-mail message to friends. "The treatments are a follow up to earlier surgery, and I look forward to a complete recovery; this is not considered to be a life-threatening form of cancer.

"P.S. By the way, my thyroid cancer has been completely vanquished."

Ebert said he's had a tumor in his salivary gland "in one form or another" for 16 years. He said the treatments will take 20 minutes a day, five days a week for eight weeks.

Ebert has been a film critic at the Chicago Sun-Times since 1967. He won the Pulitzer Prize for criticism in 1975, the same year he teamed up with the late Gene Siskel of the rival Chicago Tribune to launch their movie-review show.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
He has great enthusiasm for, and knowledge about, film. A great man. I wish him well, as well.

Dan

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yes best wishes. Don't always agree with his reviews but he is very learned in movies.

Just listened to his commentary on Casablanca. What a great track - educational and entertaining.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I may not agree with his reviews all the time, but he still has a writing style that I like especially when he slams a film. :) I agree that his commentary tracks are fun and informative, he is a great speaker.

Good luck, Roger.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Remember when Siskel and Ebert's show used to be called At The Movies and it was broadcast from Chicago via public stations? That's how long I've been watching this guy and his late comrad Gene Siskel so I wish him well.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Remember when Vincent Gallo claimed to have put a curse on Ebert's colon? Even though the tumor is not there, I betcha the bastard's feeling pretty guilty right about now.

Best wishes, Rog :)

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
Roger Ebert has cancer in his salivary gland? The dark and twisted part of me sees a joke hidden in there... I'm glad its not life-threatening as I too have enjoyed him all the way back to the cheesy "At The Movies" PBS days... What was their sign-off? "Save us the balcony seats" or something like that

- Cryo

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

Actually, I think they started on PBS with "Sneak Previews" and when they went syndicated, they used the name "At The Movies". PBS decided to keep "Sneak Previews" on the air with 2 other reviewers (the absolutely noxious - IMO - Michael Medved was on this show for awhile).

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I betcha the bastard's feeling pretty guilty right about now.
Actually, based on his normal attitude I would suspect that Gallo is feeling pretty powerful about now. :angry:

Hopefully this will stay as simple and routine as such a thing can for Ebert's sake.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Actually, I think they started on PBS with "Sneak Previews" and when they went syndicated, they used the name "At The Movies".
Actually they started locally in Chicago with Opening Soon at a Theater Near You. Memorable not just for Siskel and Ebert's collaboration, but also for the weekly appearance of Spot the Wonder Dog, who would jump on a chair and bark to unveil the "Dog of the Week." :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I may not agree with his reviews all the time, but he still has a writing style that I like especially when he slams a film. :)
Couldn't have said it better. Truly one of the great writers in journalism today. His knowledge and application of the English language is far more profound than his considerable film knowledge.

Best of luck to one of the greats in film.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
"I love watching the bald guy argue with the fat tub of lard!"

I remember Sneak Previews and Spot The Wonder Dog from the PBS era, as well as the cheesy music theme that was also used for old cartoon series from Krantz Films (who also produced the original 60's Spiderman, Incredible Hulk and Rocket Robin Hood cartoons) that featured historic adventures narrated by a mouse in a museum called Max The 2000-Year Old-Mouse.

I also Loved, Loved, LOVED That Book! Best of luck Roger!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Enjoying, respecting and loving his reviews has nothing to do (in my book) with always agreeing with the final verdict. But for me, his reviews are the best.

His general knowledge, high level of education, humour and stylish writing makes for an entertaining reading all the time. And I happen to agree with his verdict very often. :)
What's even more important for me: I often read the first and the last paragraphs of a review of his (if I read more I would consider it a spoiler, even though Ebert never reveals any true spoilers) to determine if I'm going to like a film. He has never let me down yet.

I sincerely wish him the best and an amazingly speedy recovery!

Cees

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Roger Ebert is probably one of the few great movie critics who is also a great movie historian.

That IS creepy about that curse that Vincent Gallo "put" on him. I guess Ebert will need to avoid crappy films after his recovery so that the director's won't curse him for giving them bad reviews. :D

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

That came later when they were syndicated outside of PBS by Buena Vista/Disney. The original ending was something like "Until then, we'll see you At The Movies"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks