What's new

Robert Wise Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
When I was 7 years old back in 1961, there were only two directors I knew by name: Alfred Hitchcock and Robert Wise. When I was 5 years old, before I knew anything about directors or what they did, my favorite movie was THE CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE. Now, being 48 and having seen a lot of movies since then I'd say that, right now, my favorite living director is Robert Wise.

Has any other director made films in as many different genres as Wise has? I can't think of one - there have been many versatile directors (Billy Wilder and William Wyler come to mind) but it's usually sci-fi or horror that they haven't attempted, two genres that Wise is a master of. I also can't think of a genre that Wise HASN'T made a movie in.

--Bill

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Peter A: I think one reason Robert Wise is relegated to the second tier by critics is that he does not come from the auteur school. By their standards, his directing abilities might be regarded as yeomanly. Yet, even as a
"hired hand"-type filmmaker, Wise has an uncanny ability when it comes to pacing as well as making certain all the elements in his films come together for the good of the film. His filmmaking doesn't draw attention to itself in any way other than to serve the film. JB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks