What's new

The Prestigious Sight & Sound Poll (2022) The 100 Greatest Films Of All Time (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Has anyone been in a conversation where the shark is referred to as Jaws? ;)

Oh, a pet peeve of mine (and it may just be me), but it irks me when Jaws is referred to as Jaws 1 (to distinguish it from its sequels). Call it the original, or the first Jaws, but the title has never been, and never will be, Jaws 1.

OK, peeve rant mode: off. ;)
Pretty much always referred to as Bruce. 🤪

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
The one on this list I watched most recently.

If you haven't WATCH it now! It's on Max, Criterion and Kanopy.

1703557391681.jpeg

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I don’t see a Spielberg film on the list? Not even one?

🧐
SCHINDLER’S LIST.

Unless you're making a play on the word "list"...hunh? What "list" are you referring to?

The list Joe is referring to is the one in the original post of this thread. There is no Spielberg film on that list.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 3.24.56 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 3.24.56 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 19

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Last edited:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Unless you're making a play on the word "list"...hunh? What "list" are you referring to?

The list Joe is referring to is the one in the original post of this thread. There is no Spielberg film on that list.

Thanks @jayembee.

Yes, I only had the list in the original post to go on.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren

Right. And Schindler's List, one of the best films of all time, is not on that list. That's what I meant. :)

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
OK. I interpreted your comment as saying it was on the list.
It's on AFI's list at #8 if that is any consolation. But that list is also flawed as f-ck in my opinion. No Sirk. No Frankenheimer. I have a zillion more reasons to disagree with AFIs rankings than anything on the Sight and Sound list.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
BFI should dispense with the rankings and simply list all 250 films alphabetically or chronologically by the year of release; but, then again, maybe it’s good for business to generate some heated debates, once every decade.

BTW, has anyone here actually seen all 250 films?

Last edited:

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
BFI should dispense with the rankings and simply list all 250 films alphabetically or chronologically by the year of release; but, then again, maybe it’s good for business to generate some heated debates, once every decade.

BTW, has anyone here actually seen all 250 films?
Nah. It's part of the culture already - as are lists/best ofs/top tens etc. Its what we do as a culture world wide. PS - I don't think anyone had quibbles with the numerical ranking when Citizen Kane held the top spot all those years. I am thrilled with all the great films I was introduced to with the last top 250 - as opposed to the AFI top 100 - which was just so predictable (and sometimes downright embarrassing.) Granted that list is old already...

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

Yeah, I've gotten so tired of seeing an ever-growing number of articles pop up in my newsfeeds with lists of this and that, all "ranked". Really? Is it that important to rank them?

But it seems like that's what people want to see.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, I've gotten so tired of seeing an ever-growing number of articles pop up in my newsfeeds with lists of this and that, all "ranked". Really? Is it that important to rank them?

But it seems like that's what people want to see.

I’m not necessarily convinced that people want to see them as much as they’re offered but it’s an effective way to generate clickbait and outrage (which is a reliable generator of engagement). A list of 100 “best” films in no particular order that includes a few titles you’ve never seen or don’t like won’t garner much of a response, but put that title you’ve never seen or dislike in the top ten and that seems to trigger something in the brain demanding some kind of engagement and response. And if it’s on one of those sites where they split up a list across multiple pages, having them numbered makes people more likely to keep clicking, and each new click generates ad revenue. I find a lot of it to be cynical attempts just to get us monkeys to press the button, for their satisfaction - maybe I’m the cynical one here but I think they’re worse :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks