What's new

Variety: 100 Greatest Movies of All Time (4 Viewers)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
These lists are meant to foster discussion, if nothing else. And it may highlight some films I may not have heard of, let alone seen. So there is some value there, I think.

I expressed earlier that Bridesmaids being on the list was a head scratcher. For me. However, I know some people who love that film. I may not agree with them, but I can’t say their opinion is wrong. So the group who came up with this list liked Bridesmaids enough that it made the list. And that’s OK. 😎

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Psycho at 1 and Bonnie and Clyde at 27 while Lawrence of Arabia is at 38! Now that is f'ing hilarious. Wow, Psycho, wouldn't even make it on the list if I could bother trying to make one. That film does nothing for me even though it is directed by Hitchcock. I bought the DVD of Bonnie and Clyde and, for the life of me, I don't why. The film is terrible.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Psycho at 1 and Bonnie and Clyde at 27 while Lawrence of Arabia is at 38! Now that is f'ing hilarious. Wow, Psycho, wouldn't even make it on the list if I could bother trying to make one. That film does nothing for me even though it is directed by Hitchcock. I bought the DVD of Bonnie and Clyde and, for the life of me, I don't why. The film is terrible.
To show how peoples opinions differ, while I don't think that Psycho is the Greatest Movie of All Time, it probably is my favorite Hitchcock movie.

Reactions: PMF

wranim8

Grip
Real Name
Baby Schnook
Any Top Whatever Number Movies are going to provoke intense reactions which I'm sure is what Variety's article is about (let's show our advertiser's more "hits" before the end of the year to justify their ad spending). I agree with some and not so much with others. I love Waiting for Guffman, but in lieu of This is Spinal Tap? The list definitely skews more to current films that have an original viewing audience that is still living. Just goes to show there are way too many Best Movies than could ever fit into a list of only 100.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Art is subjective, but the graphics in Polish and Czech original film posters strike me as the most, well, striking and innovative.

Yes. They are interesting and wacky to say the least. And very funny too.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Isn’t it about time we all voted for The Greatest List Of All Time (GLOAT):

AFI
ThomasT
Variety
Sight and Sound

[ignore this post - I would]

I must say I do like lists. I have looked at many to try and seek out movies that perhaps are worth watching but might have missed my critical, subjective radar.

But I find that a lot of them are repetitive and include the same movies with very few alternative additions.

From my perspective browsing personal movie blogs is the most fruitful.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I must say I do like lists. I have looked at many to try and seek out movies that perhaps are worth watching but might have missed my critical, subjective radar.

But I find that a lot of them are repetitive and include the same movies with very few alternative additions.

From my perspective browsing personal movie blogs is the most fruitful.
I find member recommendations on HTF to be the most reliable source for seeking buried treasure.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I find it encouraging to see SHOAH on both the Variety list, as well as Sight and Sound.

I would argue this documentary as being worthy of an honorary Nobel prize; were a film to ever reach such recognitions in Oslo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks