*** Official "TREASURE PLANET" Review Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edwin Pereyra, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Messrs. Ron Clements and John Musker have previously collaborated and are responsible for such hits as The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and Hercules. This time, they give us Treasure Planet in what is probably their most accomplished work to date.
    Treasure Planet is an adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson’s classic tale, Treasure Island. Only this time, the story is set in a futuristic world complete with alien rogues and creatures. As the story goes, it is the tale of a young boy, Jim Hawkins, who is caught up in the search for the buried treasure of Captain Flint. He and some adults chart a majestic space galleon to search for the treasure, only to find pirates aboard the same ship.
    The film dispenses with the usual opening credits and gets right down to the story. We are shown a little boy reading a book and with his imagination, the action is literally lifted off the pages and comes to life in what becomes one of the film’s most fascinating sequences.
    This is the Disney film that most of us have long been waiting for. The animation is nothing short of amazing with great attention to detail combining traditional animation with CGI characters and backgrounds. The color schemes are exceptional and properly reflecting the mood of the film. The voice talent is equally impressive.
    There is hardly even a musical number and not a single character actually sings. Its one musical sequence is a song by John Rzeznik (of the Goo Goo Dolls), which the creators wisely use as a vehicle to tell and advance the story with the use of flashbacks. Additional orchestration is provided by James Newton Howard, who also scores the current release, The Emperor’s Club.
    This feature film, as with most Disney films, contains two sidekicks. One is Morph, a protoplasmic “shape shifter”, who more or less function as the conscience for both John Silver and Hawkins. What I usually don’t like about sidekicks is that they usually get in the way of the plot and are sometimes given powers to save the day while the hero is in peril. Here, no such thing exists. The other sidekick is B.E.N. aka Bio-Electronic-Navigator who appears much later in the film and is voiced by Martin Short. Neither one is annoying with Morph actually providing some of the film’s funny moments.
    The film uses most of its running time to tell its story and build its characters. There is one long moment aboard the ship with virtually no action sequence and just dialogue between Silver and Hawkins. As such, this film would probably be more suited and appreciated by kids over 5 years of age.
    Treasure Planet is one of the best animated Disney film in years. With its engaging classic tale of moral duty and state of the art animation, in my judgment, it is the film to beat for this year’s Best Animated Feature Oscar.
    ~Edwin

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Treasure Planet". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
    Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
    If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.
    Crawdaddy

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I thought that Treasure Planet was outstanding in its visual imagery, and the basic story is excellent. I'll admit to a certain by-the-numbers feel, but my wife enjoyed it tremendously.

I found Morph to be a bit too cute for my taste, but the kids should love him. Or her. Or it. Whatever Morph is.

One point: I don't think the ships coming out of the page is Jim's imagination, though I took it that way at first. I think it's advanced tech.

Overall it's a good family film with stunning visuals and some real laughs, though I wasn't as overwhelmed as Edwin was. But, I'm a hard sell. I really enjoyed Lilo and Stitch more because it was such a departure for Disney, whereas Treasure Planet is pretty much "classic modern Disney" that doesn't take the chances that Lilo and Stitch did to such wonderful effect.

Jan

4. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

As a lifelong fan of Disney's animated films, it pains me to say that I was dissapointed by Treasure Planet.
    The characters were a mixed bag. David Hyde Pierce's Dr. Doppler character was pretty amusing; he is essentially an animated version of David's Niles Crane character on Frasier. And Emma Thompson's feline Captain Amelia was gorgeously animated. But the character we are supposed to care about the most, Jim Hawkins, came off as a very bland Disney hero. John Silver fares better, but not by much.
    The animation was also a mixed bag. While the traditionally animated elements of the film were up to Disney standards, the overuse of CG turned me off. Up to this point, CG animation had been used responsibly in Disney's traditionally animated films. I hope the next film relies more on traditional animation.
    Aside from the jokes coming from the aforementioned Doppler character, the movie failed in the humor department. There is a character in the film that is one big walking fart joke and there really is no reason for this character to be there. The Morph character was a cute sidekick, but he's no Stitch. And Martin Short's B.E.N. has way too little screentime to justify the comparisons to Robin Williams' hilarious Genie from Aladdin.
    Overall, a [​IMG] [​IMG] 1/2 out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG].

5. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I enjoyed this more than my daughers did. I thought it was very good. It probably won't stand the test of time like other Disney classics but still entertaining and will most likely be a terrific dvd.

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I enjoyed the heck out of this film as did my 6 year old daughter. My only gripe is that they got a little giddy with their "moving camera" techniques during some of the scenes that didn't really call for it, which could make an IMAX viewer want to pop a dramamine. If Musker & Clements are going to keep making films for Disney about young men who are "diamonds in the rough", they are much better adapting a proven story by Robert Louis Stevenson than trying to adapt the form to, say, the Hercules myth.

Regards,

7. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

My wife and I went into this movie with very low expectations but came out not one bit disappointed. This is the movie Atlantis should have been. My wife hates fart jokes but found the flatulence alien hilarious. She also pointed out how true the real book the movie stayed. I'm not sure if I like this one more that Lilo & Stitch, but it's pretty close. There was a good mix of comedy and drama and it kept my attention the whole time.

By the way I don't know how much Disney pays their effects animators but it definitely ISN'T enough. The part at the end where all the treasure is slipping into the planet
    was amazingly beautiful.

8. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Right before I toodled into Equilibrium, I wet my palate with this Treasure. Having recently watched Lilo & Stitch, I was a bit letdown with traditional 2-D Disney work.(not knocking Lilo & Stitch - only the last 15 minutes of it...). Sadly, this film seems doomed to failure at the Box Office, and it's a shame. If this had opened instead of Atlantis, we'd be having a different conversation. And when it ended, all I could think of is what a great 2-disc set this would be. On to the review:
    Starts as usual, with the lonesome but loved hero, voiced by an actor I don't like (Levitt). Jim was a bit of a cipher as a Disney lead, but that's nothing new. He was surrounded by enough color to keep affairs light. The visuals were the best since Tarzan, and the story was fun and well-paced. I really liked Silver. A long-time Glen Keane nut, his creation (with some CGI help) was the big driver to get me to the theater. And it was worth it. The one song during it was extremely well-animated...actually moving and a bit sad. Done by a method perfected with "Jesse's Song" but still effective. The characters were all decent, and I got my requisite Disney laughs.
    Quite simply, I was involved emotionally and enraptured visually. It's been a few years since Disney alone made a film this fun (for me). A shame they dumped it on screens after Harry Potter.
    Recommended for Disney and animation fans. Another 8/10 today for me. A very strong 8/10. I'll own this one and watch it again.
    Take care,
    Chuck

9. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I was quite surprised by this movie.
    I liked it.
    While watching the trailers for this film, and seeing the characters..I thought it was going to be silly nonsense.

But I thought the story and characters worked quite well.
    It was nice to see a Disney film with no character singing or hit tunes blarring throughout.

My favorite characters are Morph and The Cyborg chef(Silver)

The movie had some nice visuals, especially the begining and end, when stuff is flying around.

out of ****

10. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

It is too bad the film is bombing, while inferior films like "Die Another Day" are doing a bang up business. I went and saw both DAD and TREASURE PLANET. TREASURE PLANET was certainly the better film in my book. Regardless of it's fantastical elements, TREASURE PLANET had more believable characters than the latest BOND flick. The movie had more internal consistency than "Die Another Day", as well.