What's new

Review: Friday The 13th Part VII (1 Viewer)

Esten

Supporting Actor
All that was cut from 4 was some character development and dialogue.All of which shows up in some tv versions.No gore was cut.

Beau

Supporting Actor
"All that was cut from 4 was some character development and dialogue.All of which shows up in some tv versions.No gore was cut."

Yeah, that's what I meant, no gore was cut. Was it the ONLY one where no gore was cut? I think I read that Rob Hedden(director o JTM) purposly didn't put much gore in JTM becuase the MPAA would just make him cut it out. But was TFC the ONLY that wasn't cut for gore?

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Parts 9 and 10...HA!.....how can those even be called "Friday the 13th?!?!?!?!?
Easy. They're about Jason Voorhees killing people. People can say these two films suck all they want, but just like every other film in the series (minus the awful Part 8), I loved them both!

Beau

Supporting Actor
You wouldn't happen to be the board member S-10 at the F13Forum.com board are you? I've been wondering that for a while sience I've noticed you here.

Frank Sadler

Agent
The thing that is amazing, Is that Mr. Blythe has been interviewed in a horror mag about Uncut DVD's.

We should of had SE's by now.

$24.99 for a bare bones disc is just rubbish.

If they said " Yes, We will definately be releasing SE's after the barebones are released " I would be happy, but they don't give us a 100% yes, they say stuff like " The plan is "

Just give us a 100% definate yes and then we can wait patiently (Even tho we have been waiting YEARS)

Will K

Screenwriter
I disagree. $24.99 is a steal for the beautiful presentation on Friday 7...Friday 7 is worth 3x its price tag.
Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. :) Disney notwithstanding, other studios are providing great DVD presentations with extras for much less. MGM just released several feature-packed horror classics which you can find for $14.99 or less.
I'm sure Paramount would be absolutely tickled pink to hear you may be willing to pay $74.99 for a barebones release! Let's not give them any ideas.

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
Paramount is the most lacking studio for DVD releases in my opinion. And the fact that their quality is good is a mute point to me (so is every other major studio's quality!!! thats the whole point of the DVD format).
hmmmm.
I wasn't going to chime in, but this quote got me to thinking. I remember watching a Chris Rock comedy routine where he made comments about people who brag about things they shouldn't be bragging about. He said something like this... "...and those people who brag 'well, i don't beat my kids'...you ain't SUPPOSED to beat your kids! Or what about 'well, i've never been to jail.' You ain't SUPPOSED to be in jail."
This made me think about everyone's praises of Paramount. All studios are SUPPOSED to deliver good quality audio and video. It's not a bonus like many around here claim, when they praise Paramount. That's what they're SUPPOSED to be doing for DVD releases. They're being praised for something other studios do without question. Come on guys, Paramount is stuck in 1997 when it comes to the DVD format.
And another thing, if the movie is supposed to be all that matters, why don't we all just go back to watching VHS tapes? Since you guys think we don't need extras a lot of the time, why support DVD anymore? It's all about the movie, right? Go VHS! :rolleyes

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
And another thing, if the movie is supposed to be all that matters, why don't we all just go back to watching VHS tapes? Since you guys think we don't need extras a lot of the time, why support DVD anymore? It's all about the movie, right? Go VHS!
Are you seriously implying that extras are the only thing that DVD offers over VHS?

DJ

Esten

Supporting Actor
And another thing, if the movie is supposed to be all that matters, why don't we all just go back to watching VHS tapes? Since you guys think we don't need extras a lot of the time, why support DVD anymore? It's all about the movie, right? Go VHS!
For me it's about the proper presentation of the movie,not just the movie itself.VHS VERY RARELY offers this.

Beau

Supporting Actor
"For me it's about the proper presentation of the movie,not just the movie itself.VHS VERY RARELY offers this."

Totally! Especially with Paramount's F13 VHS's which are in EP mode and have very crappy picture. Which is the main reason I'm buying the F13 DVDs.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
All studios are SUPPOSED to deliver good quality audio and video. It's not a bonus like many around here claim, when they praise Paramount. That's what they're SUPPOSED to be doing for DVD releases.
AMEN, brother.

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
Are you seriously implying that extras are the only thing that DVD offers over VHS?
Of course not. I just think that for their high prices, Paramount should make the most of the medium, which they aren't. You get just as good of transfers (sometimes better) from other companies, at much, MUCH more reasonable prices. As I said, Paramount's pricing is stuck circa 1997 for what they offer the consumer.

If you can afford to blow 20 and 25 bucks a pop on DVDs that only offer the film, I'm glad for ya. Being a doctor, I can do it as well. The thing is, I don't like to do it. There are too many better buys for the money out there. Paramount should wake up. Some of you should wake up. If you continue to purchase their stuff at these high prices, they will continue to charge us out the wazoo for absolutely nothing.

And once more, Paramount's transfers are far from A+ a lot of the time. Better Off Dead and Top Secret both had pitiful transfers.

At least when Criterion charges a lot for a disc, you get what you pay for. The only time I buy Paramount discs is when Best Buy has them discounted from week to week.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
As someone pointed out, this is a very flawed argument. For one, VHS very rarely offered widescreen presentations. VHS never offered Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS surround sound. DVD also offers higher resolution and anamorphic widescreen presentations.

A quality widescreen presentation presented with the proper soundtrack is numero uno for me. Sorry, Paramount almost always wins here. Extras are icing on the cake and, while I enjoy browsing through supplements, I wouldn't fault any studio for releasing high quality bare bones DVDs at $24.99 or $49.99.

And there is no "going back to VHS" for me since I was primarly a laserdisc viewer prior to DVD. Again, laserdisc was the choice for me because it offered the best quality audio and video at the time. Extras were nice, but certainly not essential.

These are just our opinions. Sure, some of you can point to MGM who releases some great special editions at $15-$20. Hey, I can appreciate that as much as the next guy. But MGM and Paramount are two different studios with two very different libraries. Paramount has never been big on special editions. Their laserdisc releases were almost always bare bones (I remember one having a commentary track, only because the director requested it). Paramount has made great strides in the special edition market with the new Star Trek DVDs, MI:2, Forest Gump, etc. You can't expect every DVD from them to be bare bones.

Leave feedback for Paramount. Send them letters. Let them know you want more special editions. Just don't expect them to change overnight. I think they're headed in the right direction.

And I'm sorry, but a DVD presented with a high quality transfer is ABSOLUTELY WORTH $24.99. Paramount used to charge $29.99 on their catalog titles - also a steal. Like I said, I personally think it's worth 3x that amount, but I'm in the minority on that one.

Frank Sadler

Agent
I think they're headed in the right direction.
I don't. Recent catalogue transfers have been a dissapointment, Better Off Dead for example. And recent releases DON'T EVEN HAVE A TRAILER ANYMORE !!!!!
If anything, They need to go and create a time machine and jump into the year 2002 :thumbsdown:

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
This is where I disagree strongly.

Friday the 13th fans have been sending endless amounts of letters, for Years and they HAVE NOT changed.
You are wrong. Fans haven't done squat. Fans have created on-line petitions and email campaigns, neither of which amounts to a hill of beans. Lets face it, on-line petitions are a dime a dozen. I mean, anyone can create a petition and get 500-1000 'electronic' signatures on it. It's no big deal; it means nothing. The only petition that ever did any good was the Willy Wonka campaign, which was pushed by several large web sites and mentioned in various magazines.

I've spoken with Paramount and I can assure you they received hardly any snail mails letters about any of their horror dvds. The few they did receive were often just rude ramblings of an upset fan.

Studios appreciate snail mail letters much more than email campaigns and on-line petitions. It shows that you actually took the time to sit down and write a polite, courteous, and intelligent letter, invest $.37 in sending it, and drop it in the mail box. All of which takes significantly more time than a few mouse clicks or a quick email saying, "Release XYZ horror movie uncut you fools!" (that's the PG version)

Take the time to write a polite and intelligent letter. Encourage others to do the same. Only then are you doing everything you can to encourage Paramount to release what we want.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Anyone else interested in starting a dedicated, organized snail mail campaign here on the HTF? I'm willing to do the old "Shawshank Redemption" method and write a letter a week. I know there are websites out there with the same purpose, but this forum could be a common place to report progress, etc. I think we should get all the horror web sites, etc. together and start a massive effort to send as many (polite) letters to Paramount as we can.
Here's what I would be content with for F13 SEs.
Anamorphic widescreen transfers
Director/Cast/SFX Commentary
Still Gallery (w/ FX behind the scenes pics)
Original X rated cut, with cut scenes reinserted into movie - very important, scenes just thrown in as extras wouldn't work.
That's for all 8 movies. As far as special editions go, that's not asking for a lot. I would also like to see (not on every disc as above, but maybe just on one disc) A Tom Savini documentary and a retrospective Friday the 13th: 20 years documentary. I would be a very happy man if I could get what I have just mentioned.
Let me know people about the whole letter campaign. I honestly think we can get something done and make a great HTF success story.

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
I'm not a huge Friday the 13th fan, but I'd be willing to help just to urge Paramount to get on the right track.

Ron, what is your opinion on the whole matter? Did Paramount withold trailers on these releases to prepare for a future box-set or re-release? What, if anything can be done to urge Paramount to take more advantage of the medium?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks