What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Friday The 13th 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I have never seen two competing sets without one being OOP? Is the Shout set long for this world?
Without getting into specifics, the Shout set is under licence from both Paramount and WB. Such licences are time-limited and usually print-run limited. My best guess is that there was an exclusivity window with respect to the Paramount films [1-8], and that once that window expired, Paramount was free to issue their own set, which is more of a [as others have indicated] mass market item for the general public than a "box set". I also suspect that part of the higher-than-usual MSRP for the Paramount pack is the inclusion of digital copy.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I also suspect that part of the higher-than-usual MSRP for the Paramount pack is the inclusion of digital copy.
That's probably accurate but that John Hughes set also has digital copies so the MSRP is still pretty crazy to me. On the plus side, doesn't Paramount give a free upgrade to 4K when a UHD becomes available? I suppose if F13 ever hits UHD, you'd be future-proofed digitally.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Price. The Shout! set lists for $160 and this one lists for $80...

Until very recently, the Shout set was $104. The extra $24 bucks gets a 4K scan for Part 5, Part 3 in 3D, and tons of new extras. I'm not a big fan of the series but I might even pick it up myself if it goes down again

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Until very recently, the Shout set was $104. The extra $24 bucks gets a 4K scan for Part 5, Part 3 in 3D, and tons of new extras. I'm not a big fan of the series but I might even pick it up myself if it goes down again

If you're going to use discounted prices, it's not $24. Amazon has the Shout! set for $110 right now and the "new" Paramount one is $60.

So that's $50 difference as I type.

Look, I'm not endorsing the Paramount set over the Shout! one.

The question was asked why anyone would buy the Paramount package when the Shout! one exists, and price is a reason.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For 5-8, they're new scans but 2K?
Shout's set didn't say anything about new scans for Parts V to VIII and since they usually note a new transfer, I assume that those movies have the same transfers as the previous Blu-rays. Except for the corrected color on Part VI, they look the same to my layman's eye.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Okay, sure.

Still pointing out why someone might prefer the Paramount set to the Shout! one. Maybe they only want those 8 movies?
Bought those Paramount versions years ago. Bought Shouts version because it finished out the series, and Friday 13th 3 was in glorious 3D. I’m happy and have no need for another release.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Bought those Paramount versions years ago. Bought Shouts version because it finished out the series, and Friday 13th 3 was in glorious 3D. I’m happy and have no need for another release.
True Paramount has such a huge catalog of movies unreleased on blu ray. Why release this a 3rd time.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Okay, sure.

Still pointing out why someone might prefer the Paramount set to the Shout! one. Maybe they only want those 8 movies?

I fall into that camp. I haven't bought a blu set yet. I have a set of the first four on dvd and part 6. I really don't care for post 80s ones. I may yet still get the existing 8 movie set. I don't like these movies enough to pay a lot.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Steelbook release just posted...

81hwJkXt2cS._SX522_.jpg

218944158_4190838570982575_8786832978075046249_n.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm waiting for the inevitable 4K versions with Dolby Vision, and Atmos. The Shout set is fantastic, and the 3D for the third film is second to none. Truly amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks