What's new

Quirks that you have when buying DVDs (1 Viewer)

Christopher*KH

Stunt Coordinator
"I feel your pain..."

I do the same things.

BUT it gets worse with me.

IF I see any movie out of order in the store{Best Buy is my fav choice} I HAVE to put it in order. Also I read some where on here that sometimes they put the F.S. behind the W.S. I sometimes do that as well, oops:frowning:

One store that completely drives my O.C.D. over the line is our Wal-Mart, nothing is ever in any kind of order.
Makes my skin crawl.

I actually separated my music related DVDs the other night as well. I only have 3, they're at the end of my other ones.

OH and another thing that I can't have arrange in my collection. IF a title begins with a number "1941" it goes before "Adaptation". BUT in the stores you would find "1941" in the "N" section. I don't get it.

Thanks for letting me vent. ;) chris

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

That slayed me! I was gonna crack that with all the crime fighting, and the avengers that Tony probably doesn't have much time to be picky, but you beat me to it!:D

I give'em a shake to make sure there snug. I only check packaging with boxsets and the like.

I do look at all the copies of a particular title though, to make sure that there isn't any mispriced ones:D

I've actually made out pretty good (OZ season 1 for $25Cdn!).

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I never buy the first DVD on the shelf --- I always take one from the middle or back. Why? Just in case some dropped the first one (throwing the disc out of the hub) and then put it back on the shelf.

Also, I always very slightly shake the case just in case the disc is not attached to the hub. If I hear something loose, I put the case back and grab another one.

Finally, I always make sure the case is in mint condition too.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i had to look at about 12 copies of alice to find one that didnt have somekind of residue or dongs.
oh i also take the ones with slip covers to work and shrink wrap them.
then cut a hole in the top, bottom or side.
whichever side has the opening.

i always do that with the disney like slipcases.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
OK- I'm noticing a trend here:)
I do a lot of the same things:

1. Check to make sure the disc is WIDESCREEN
2. Check the cover art for proper alignment
3. If it's a Star Trek title, I normally start fussing at Paramount over the wrinkled plastic.
4. Give the case a nice, gentle shake (for all the reasons already mentioned in other posts)
5. If I'm at Wal-Mart, when the "associate" opens the glass door, reaches for the disc and asks "Is there anything else?" my normal reply is "Hold on just a second" (while reaching in the case myself and going to the middle of the stack and repeating STEPS 1-4!)
6. ALWAYS remember to thank that associate for putting up with me. :D

Roger_R

Second Unit
1. Never check if it's widescreen or not since fullscreen-versions never make it to Europe.
2. Don't shake it because the DVD itself is in a sealed bag behind the counter.
3. If it's a cardboard box, I get one without a price tag on the front. They never come off without ruining the coverart.
4. Check if it is a special edition. If not I check if there's a special edition available....that's it :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I always put the first one down the back of my pants and then stick it in the back of the rack for the 'anal' ones to take. :laugh:

just kidding...but I got ya thinking :D

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
Why does it matter if the spine is not aligned?

It's just a piece of paper slid inside the case.

You can align yourself in a few seconds.

:)

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
Seems lke we basically do the same things.

I always do the following.

1. Make sure it's the widescreen version.
2. Shake it to make sure the DVD is not loose.
3. Check for excessive plastic wrinkles.
4. Make sure that the paper underneath the plastic sleeve will not be damaged when removing the security tape.
5. Dings or dents for DVD's in the Wal-Mart bargain bin.

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
I have a few quirks I will list. If I come up with some more than I will edit my post and list them here.

My quirks include:

1.Making sure the cover is in mint condition

2.Making sure there isn't security tag damage to the cover. I hate when the stickers are misplaced on the cover and when you tear the sticker off it ruins the cover. This has only happened once to me for The Running Man but it was hardly noticeable so I just left it and didn't return it.

3. Making sure there is no strange colored dots on the cover from a printing error. It may just me but sometimes I notice sometimes these tiny colored dots which probally had to do with the printing prosess while others don't so I examine the dvd cover very carfully when making a decision on which one to get, sometimes even comparing multiple covers.

4. Making sure I have the widescreen version. It's a pain in the ass when the covers are identical and once for Back To The Future all it had was a small sticker which I hadn't noticed and had to later return it and get the widescreen version.

5. Making sure the dvd is the lowest possible price and the retail store isnt over charging and if they are than I will get them to price match it. I buy alot of dvds so the more money I save the more dvds I can buy rather than paying more than I need too.

-Mike

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
That had me laughing out loud.

I generally just shake them, check for imperfections, and make sure it's OAR. I hate wrinkled covers and coverart-damaging security stickers, so you'd think I'd check for that too, but I seldom do.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
What drives me a little nuts is when the shrinkwrap packaging causes ripples in the plastic covers of the amaray DVD case, makes for an unattractive looking DVD. If it's a normal single disc Amaray case, I usually end up replacing the case with a blank Amaray case, and grumble if it's a 2-disc Amaray case because I don't have blanks of those cases.

If y'all think these checklists are bad, you should watch anal-retentive comic book collectors in their quest to get find the most near mint to mint copy of a new release on Wednesdays. They look for spine creases, squared up stapling, corner creases/bends/folds.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
OK...when you do the shake, don't you hate it when they have loose inserts that make the same rattle as a loose disk? I have to shake 4 or 5 to find one that wont rattle...it matters man! I also hate when the art is black and the security sticker takes a few layers of ink off before you notice the art sticks out just a bit. It only happens with DARK art...never white art. I take back DVDs with scratches, and sometimes they give me Hell for it. But i tell them for 30 bucks i want VIRGIN disks, and i have had them crap out on me 6 months or a year later with the smallest of nicks, so the customer service guys can bite me if i return a disk for the same title.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Let's see here, most have already been mentioned.

Usually grab from the middle of the stack, make sure case is not damaged, wrinkled plastic doesn't bother me much, but if a nicer one is available I'll grab that. Of course give it a gentle shake, but if it is a noticiable clunk I give it a few good shakes. Always check the AR. I also tend to scan every title on the shelf so as not to miss out on anything that may be misplaced.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I always look to see whether or not I'm buying OAR, and I always shake to see if the DVD is lose. I don't give as much thought to the coverart as most do, because of the way I arrange my DVDs, in binders by necessity the dorm room just doesn't have enough room for a ton of DVD cases to be lined up.

My current pet peeve is to check the back of the crappy cardboard snapper cases that Warner uses. Often there is a small crease in the cardboard in the middle at the bottom on the back. If they all had this exact same defect, I would probably go ahead and buy it. But, I can often find one that is perfect after much searching. Just knowing that there probably are mint copies out there causes me to NOT buy one with this particular defect. Unfortunately, this causes a delay in buing some titles, especially Warner classic titles (The Prince and the Paupaer, Mrs. Miniver, etc.). Obviously I am quite anal on this issue, and it's driving me crazy. But, I just can't help but check now before buying ANY snapper case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks