What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Little Mermaid (2023) -- in 4k UHD (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
When I first heard of this re-make, I was confused, as I couldn't really visualize Halle Berry as a mermaid. I apparently misheard.

As opposed to Halle Berry, Halle Bailey does a beautiful job at bringing her animated counterpart to life. Like anything these days, there were comments about casting, and is she the right person to play this character?

She's made the character hers. For naysayers, I've checked the SAG directory, and am finding no actors of the requisite age with an aqautic tail.

Under the directorial gaze of Rob Marshall, the film has been lengthened by almost an hour to 2 hours, 15 minutes, which is a bit of a long slog for kids, but additions to the underlying relationships are helpful, along with some new tunes.

The live action combined with digital effects works nicely, and is shown off in 4k. Only problem I noted was underwater scenes not being totally believable, although I'm not certain what might have been done better.

The important thing here - well, second most important after the slipcase - is how does this film look in 4k UHD, and the answer is simple.

It looks terrific, having been ported over from true 4k data files.

Audio is likewise, theater filling in Dolby Atmos.

Now the most important information. The slip is neither lenticular, nor 3-D, nor coated in rare jewels, but it's beautifully printed with an overall matte finish, with the title being pressed in what I presume to be 24k gold. Rather than replicate the reverse of the actual plastic case, Disney has created an image of the young lovers, with Ariel in human form, set abasing his castle in the background. A cut-out provides access to the bar code. The spine provides the title, not in gold, but printed in a gold-ish color.

One might get into discussions of whether Disney will continue to provide the all-important slip for future pressings, and whether this first edition (take a look at what's happened to Shakespeare First Folios) will be an eBay best seller a huge prices.

While I'll not give investment advice, what I can tell you about the included disc is that it's a reference quality 4k UHD release. After Disney's Cinderella, which finally looks akin to a 35mm print, and the anticipated Snow White, Disney is on a roll in 4k.

On a strictly psychological point, The Little Mermaid can be compared to the likes of All That Money Can Buy, or in ways to Pinocchio.

Should the original 1989 animated version suddenly disappear - apparently the original negative was severely damaged in 1989-90, and had to be fully restored for it's 1998 laserdisc release - the live action / digital version is a nice alternative.

Image – 5 (HDR)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 10

Worth your attention - 7.5

Slipcover rating - 6

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
Warning: the link above is not for the 4K version of the film.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
When I first heard of this re-make, I was confused, as I couldn't really visualize Halle Berry as a mermaid. I apparently misheard.

As opposed to Halle Berry, Halle Bailey does a beautiful job at bringing her animated counterpart to life. Like anything these days, there were comments about casting, and is she the right person to play this character?

She's made the character hers. For naysayers, I've checked the SAG directory, and am finding no actors of the requisite age with an aqautic tail.

Under the directorial gaze of Rob Marshall, the film has been lengthened by almost an hour to 2 hours, 15 minutes, which is a bit of a long slog for kids, but additions to the underlying relationships are helpful, along with some new tunes.

The live action combined with digital effects works nicely, and is shown off in 4k. Only problem I noted was underwater scenes not being totally believable, although I'm not certain what might have been done better.

The important thing here - well, second most important after the slipcase - is how does this film look in 4k UHD, and the answer is simple.

It looks terrific, having been ported over from true 4k data files.

Audio is likewise, theater filling in Dolby Atmos.

Now the most important information. The slip is neither lenticular, nor 3-D, nor coated in rare jewels, but it's beautifully printed with an overall matte finish, with the title being pressed in what I presume to be 24k gold. Rather than replicate the reverse of the actual plastic case, Disney has created an image of the young lovers, with Ariel in human form, set abasing his castle in the background. A cut-out provides access to the bar code. The spine provides the title, not in gold, but printed in a gold-ish color.

One might get into discussions of whether Disney will continue to provide the all-important slip for future pressings, and whether this first edition (take a look at what's happened to Shakespeare First Folios) will be an eBay best seller a huge prices.

While I'll not give investment advice, what I can tell you about the included disc is that it's a reference quality 4k UHD release. After Disney's Cinderella, which finally looks akin to a 35mm print, and the anticipated Snow White, Disney is on a roll in 4k.

On a strictly psychological point, The Little Mermaid can be compared to the likes of All That Money Can Buy, or in ways to Pinocchio.

Should the original 1989 animated version suddenly disappear - apparently the original negative was severely damaged in 1989-90, and had to be fully restored for it's 1998 laserdisc release - the live action / digital version is a nice alternative.

Image – 5 (HDR)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 10

Worth your attention - 7.5

Slipcover rating - 6

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

You must have received the Walmart version, as the Best Buy steelbook doesn't have a slipcover, per se.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks