What's new

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
I watched I.J and the Dial of Destiny last night. It failed to impress me. Harrison Ford has never been a great actor although he was good (but not great) in the first 3 I.J. films. I am not really into action movies but the first I.J film was highly enjoyable.I saw it at the Cinerama Dome many decades ago in 70mm

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I also caught this one a couple weeks back and had the same unimpressed reaction. My ranking of the films would pretty much be in release order, with each film less enjoyable than the prior. I'd put this at the bottom of the list. I'm also on record as not being a fan of "old" Indy, so the older Ford gets, the less I like the films.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I watched I.J and the Dial of Destiny last night. It failed to impress me. Harrison Ford has never been a great actor although he was good (but not great) in the first 3 I.J. films. I am not really into action movies but the first I.J film was highly enjoyable.I saw it at the Cinerama Dome many decades ago in 70mm

Wait - you don't think Ford was great in "Raiders"?

Seriously??? :wacko:

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I don't get all of the hate for this film. It was much better than Crystal Skull. Was anyone clamoring for another Indiana Jones film? Probably not. They should have stopped after Last Crusade, especially with the "everyone riding off into the sunset" ending. IMHO.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
They should have stopped after Last Crusade, especially with the "everyone riding off into the sunset" ending.
They can't, not as long as "Indiana Jones" as a piece of intellectual property is owned by a multinational corporation that paid a lot of money to list it as an asset. The thinking there is "Why do we have this IP that could be making us money but isn't?"

That's why there are sequels to Ghostbusters, Top Gun, Planet of the Apes and every other 40- and 50-year-old series you can think of.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don't get all of the hate for this film. It was much better than Crystal Skull. Was anyone clamoring for another Indiana Jones film? Probably not. They should have stopped after Last Crusade, especially with the "everyone riding off into the sunset" ending. IMHO.

I don't hate "DoD". It's a watchable movie.

But it lacks the charm of the prior 4.

It feels like an AI generated Indy movie.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And Harrison Ford is a terrific actor imo. In addition to Raiders, he was great in Witness (Oscar nominated) 42, What Lies Beneath, Age Of Adeline and many more.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
And Harrison Ford is a terrific actor imo. In addition to Raiders, he was great in Witness (Oscar nominated) 42, What Lies Beneath, Age Of Adeline and many more.
I’d certainly add The Fugitive to that list, and whatever one thinks of The Force Awakens, Ford’s performance in that was terrific.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
And in Shrinking on Apple TV+, probably his best work in years.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
We all have our own preferences. However, this is the first time I've seen 'Skull referred to as charming like the first three movies. :)

"Skull" is undeniably the worst of the 4.

But it still "feels like" an Indiana Jones movie in ways "DoD" doesn't.

I didn't call the whole movie "charming" but there's a spark and charm in it that I feel "DoD" lacks.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I liked DoD better than I was expecting (preferred it over Skull especially in terms of script and acting). I only watched it once and I will revisit it in the upcoming months to see how I still feel about it.

However, I will still revisit all five movies.

Raiders is my favorite movie of all time. And I am really glad the UHD BD greatly improves upon the BD in all areas - especially the teal/orange and overcooked bass of the BD.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I would say it’s deniable🤪. That label certainly applies to Last Crusade in my opinion. Other than an exciting opening and Sean Connery, it’s a tired sloppy retread of Raiders.
And yet IMO Crusade is easily superior to Skull. The number of jump-the-shark moments in Skull, from the clumsy attempt to shoehorn Shia LaBeouf into being the next Indiana to his preposterous vine swinging with the monkeys to the poorly done and over-the-top CGI in the jungle chase sequence to the totally implausible nuked refrigerator, Skull stands apart as by FAR the worst film in the series to me. It has some nice moments here and there, but I think it's a complete mess.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Raiders is my favorite movie of all time. And I am really glad the UHD BD greatly improves upon the BD in all areas - especially the teal/orange and overcooked bass of the BD.

"Overcooked bass of the BD"? Raiders has always been famous for adding a big bass hit every time Indy lands a punch. That's been completely removed from the Atmos remix, which has virtually no bass and compresses the dynamic range into a flat line. It sounds awful.

The 4K transfer also had all of the original film grain stripped out, artificial grain added back on top, and looks to be A.I. sharpened all over the place.

I fully understand and agree with the complaints about the color grading on the older Blu-ray, but the UHD looks really weird to my eye. I'm not a fan of it either.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
Everyone has their personal likes and dislikes, but the comedic timing and delivery in Temple for me is pure joy to watch over and over. It's the icing on the cake to making Temple endlessly rewatchable.
You get a musical number, and amazing fight sequence in a nightclub, Indy trying to fly a plane (with reactions that are priceless). A flying raft ride, 2 icky meals (Capshaw nails both and her reactions to the first and "I had bugs for lunch" line in the second are classic comic deliveries).
Then a "Busby Berkley tribute" temple ceremony and the ultimate Indy ride on an underground mine car. Still not finished...a final masterpiece atop a real suspension bridge...with crocks swimming below...I'm ready right now! All this and Short Round too!
Raiders may have the rights to being the best film, and I think it is, but for nonstop action, cinematic fun and classic lines, nothing beats Temple for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks