What's new

Quirks that you have when buying DVDs (1 Viewer)

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
The same as you guys.

1. Check that the cover art is properly aligned.

2. Check that it's the OAR disc.

3. Make sure the DVD is properly secured in the case by shaking.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
See DouglasRobets' post for my list.

I never take the first off the shelf or ANYTHING. Be it DVDs, books, or even light bulbs.

My wife used to give me grief on this ("where did you learn this? you must have picked it up from somewhere") but I've caught her doing it too now.

When I've tried to break the habit and actually grab the first one there is ALWAYS something wrong with it - creased insert, cover gets ripped removing the security tag, etc.

-paul

StevenFC

Second Unit
Thank you very much everyone. I don't feel so weird now. I was beginning to think that I was a little obsessive about buying DVDs. Now that I know that I'm not alone, I can shop in peace.

Wezzo

Second Unit
I usually shake the box to check the disc isn't loose. I check the plastic cover isn't ripped or anything. Check and check again for extras and subtitles. And always take the copy at the back.

StephenA

Screenwriter
My biggest quirk that I have when buying DVDs is buying DVDs. I do shake the box to see if the disc is loose. My other weird quirk is that I keep putting discs back and picking them back up if I have a hard time chosing which one to get when I don't have enough money to get more. I must look like I'm messed up in the head to other people when I'm doing this.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

Well, I feel like I have OCD period. Not enough to disrupt my life or be treated for, but I honestly believe I have a very mild touch of it. Seriously. So DVDs and buying DVDs are a very natural outlet for my quirks. ;)

And it's catching. I went and picked up Angel Season 3 the other night and watched my wife pick up the box, look at the front and back cover, then put it back and grab the one behind it that hadn't been handled by 50 people already. Of course she forgot the manditory shake for floaters, but she's just a beginner.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I don't know if I am glad there are others out there just as crazy as I am or am dissapointed. If there are others out there doing the same thing I do, they go through all the dvds to pick out the best looking one. That means that they could possibly get a better one than me. One thing that I always look for is the normal plastick over the dvd's, I hate the ones that look like they have been opened and then shrink wrapped by Blockbuster or something. And for the most part, I only buy dvd's form electronic stores like Circuit City or Best Buy. I feel that more care is taken at those stores compared to Walmart or places that I buy my babies diapers at.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Here are my criteria for selecting a disc:

1. That the presentation is in at least widescreen format
2. DD 5.1 or DTS or both

3. That the DVD is UNDER $20.00, that is, I will buy a new release if the price is Under $19.95. New Releases I must have I buy the first week at Wal-Mart so that the price is well below my $20.00 threshold.;-)

That's it folks.

I buy a lot of used discs at BlockBuster and Game Stop. I make them open the case and make sure the DVD is in presentable shape though.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
chuck , you do buy movies that have an oar of 1.33.1 dont you?

some movies were presented that way.

such as the classics in the weekly column by ron.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Yes I do, those are the exceptions. I bought the OAR version of the TV versions of "Salem's Lot" and "The Shining" and both are in the 1:33:1 OAR. I should have said that I buy only DVDs that are presented in their OAR.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I'm afraid I suffer from many of the same obsessions that others here at the HTF are cursed with when selecting a DVD at a store. Has anyone yet mentioned that they look specifically for the slice through the spine of the case? You know, the one caused by the boxcutter knife when the careless stockperson was opening the big box used for transporting the DVDs. I see this alot and many times you'll find a whole bunch of the same DVD with the same slice in the spine. I know I'm anal but I don't want a slice through the spine of my DVD(among other things).

P.S. I think I need some therapy:b

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
We ALL need therapy to control this HT thing that we have. Heck, DVDs are only a small part of the obsession. How many of you drive your friends and family crazy by constantly adjusting picture and sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks