What's new

Quieting my projector (1 Viewer)

Brian.R

Grip
Real Name
Brian Rieck
I have my projector enclosed in a box with only the front open for ventilation. It contains most of the noise but I'm looking for an improvement.

I'm thinking of putting a glass cover on the front and running some sort of vents in and out of the box. I've got plenty of room around the ceiling to run 3" or 4" tubing and an extra outlet to power a fan. The outlets are controlled via a wall switch.

Has anyone else done something like this? Any thoughts on the best way? I'd include some sort of temperature shut off or warning beeper if it's feasible too.

Thanks!
Brian

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I've never done anything like that, but I have a question. What projector do you have, that it's so loud? Are you running it in high power mode?

Brian.R

Grip
Real Name
Brian Rieck
Infocus X1. I'm not aware of any other mode that might be available.

It's the fan that I hear. As I said, it's pretty good with most sides covered but during quieter scenes the projector noise is noticable. I've done pretty good getting all the other noises to go away with sound deadening, etc, etc so this is probably the last thing I'll worry about.

A second reason, which I didn't mention before, was that I get some light spill over onto the ceiling close to the projector. It comes from the front vents on the projector. I planned on painting the glass cover black except for the appropriate sized clear spot to let light from the lens through.

I've included a couple pictures to help you see what I'm dealing with.

Thanks,
Brian

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
My first projector was also the X1, and it has a low and high power mode. The high power mode puts out more light, and is called Presentation mode. I always used it in normal(low) power mode. I would not run it in that box until you gave it more ventilation. Try it in "normal" mode, it is much quieter. The noise of my X1 was never a problem in normal mode.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
a side thought about your glass window: be very, very careful.

The glass should not be parallel to the lens / glass / screen planes. Be careful about where the reflections and refractions from the glass go. And keep the glass clean!

Glass windows are always a bit of a challenge..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks