What's new

Living room build with solid components - what am I missing? (1 Viewer)

Scott99999

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
I live in a house where one room has an oversized wall (image below); it was a 60s design that had a mid-level. You can't do much with it, so after years of having this big blank IMAX-like wall, I finally convinced my wife to allow me to install a projector. Well, the projector led to speakers, which led to an A/V receiver, which led to....you get the gist. ;) Here's the current configuration:
  • Epson 5040UB 4K projector ceiling mounted with Chief RPA357 mount, extension, sprayed white & separate cathedral ceiling adapter
  • Bowers and Wilkins 703 series 5.1 system (towers, center, two bookshelves, sub) in Rosenut
  • Marantz 7012 receiver
  • Oppo 203 Blu-ray DVD player (en route)
  • PS4 Pro 4K
  • Nvidia Shield
  • Logitech Harmony Elite universal remote
  • Panamax M5300
  • 4K Apple TV
  • Roku Ultra
  • AC Infinity AIRCOM T9 Quiet Cooling Fan
For cabling, we opted for the following, labeled both ends with a label maker for organization:
  • Atevon High Speed 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 Cable 3ft and 6ft versions
  • Mediabridge 12AWG ULTRA Series Speaker Cable with Banana Tips & Wall Plates
  • Mediabridge 12AWG 2-Conductor Speaker Wire
  • Mediabridge ULTRA subwoofer cable
  • RUIPRO HDMI Fiber Cable 33 Ft 18.2 Gbps 4K at 60Hz
The room isn't a fancy in terms of layout as many theaters here are full builds.

I didn't get a screen - honestly, the projector is so bright and the wall imperfections small enough that the image looks sharp, bright and with clean whites & blacks.

THOUGHTS:

Music sounds great. Videos do at around 60/100 setting, but don't want to shake the room too much. I likely need to optimize the system and given the large space, I am considering a second sub which would be set up diagonally to the other. Video is awesome.

I'm not a huge fan of the remote - seems to lose communication with the devices every so often which makes it a little moot. May look at an upgrade.

QUESTIONS:

1. I've got an LCD TV in the room at a 90-degree angle - can that be setup with a 2nd Apple TV to its own remote to avoid confusing the remotes? I use a sound bar for that system.

2. The room is a bit large and the ceiling throws off the sound a bit. I haven't optimized a bit, but other than the dinky mics that came with the Marantz, is there a good way to optimize the sound for the space or any aftermarket products for doing so? How about the benefits of a 2nd sub?

3. What's missing to make it a dream system?

View attachment 42835

ad8934f1-5224-471f-b5da-003fe04fb99d

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't think the Apple TV has the option for multiple units in the same room being operated with different IR codes. It should be possible with an iPhone or iPad, though.

As far as a sub, I prefer a better sub as opposed to dual ones. I also prefer keeping them in the front, rather than having one in the back. That messes up the sound distribution, in my opinion. Instead of two subs, consider a single, dual driver sub. Don't get B&W subs. Look at internet direct companies like Power Sound, SVS and Hsu. Experiment with locations in the front, near a corner. When a sub is placed and tuned right, it can disappear and surround the listener.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks