What's new

New House with "Theater Room" (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Hello all,

We recently moved into a new-to-us house, with a room off the foyer that the previous owners used as a theater room. I'm trying to decide how workable it is moving forward. If it can work, I'd like to make it work, because something is better than nothing. I'm looking for advice as I decide what to do.

The room was obviously intended to be an office or dining room. It is 15' 5 11/16" x 11' 7 3/4" wide with 10' ceilings. There is a 117" 16x9 Carada screen at one end of the room and a large window with plantation shutters that have been kept shut. There is a ceiling-mounted Sony VPL-VW50 1080p projector at the other end. The projector mount is approximately 14' 6" from the window and wall. There's only a few inches of clearance between the Sony projector and the wall. I think the screen is the 1.0 gain Classic Cinema White.

There's nowhere else in the house to use as a theater space. In my previous home, our living room was where we watched and we optimized it as much as possible for movie viewing on our 75" 4K Sony display. I used an Atlantic Technology 4200e system with an SVS SB-3000 sub for 5.1. I'm trying to decide if I will put this in our great room which has all sorts of issues for surround sound and display placement or use it in the theater room.

Things I'm considering:
  • Moving the surround system into the theater room and using the 1080p projector until I upgrade.
  • Moving the surround system and Sony TV display into the theater room and having no display in the great room, but I'd rather not do this.
  • Moving the surround system and buying a 4k projector now.
  • Using a *gasp* soundbar in the great room (it's pretty big though).

Concerns or issues:
  • The screen has less than a foot of clearance on each side from the side walls. This isn't ideal for speaker placement.
  • All the seating is essentially at the back of the room and there's no elegant way to have more than one row.
  • Will the kinds of projectors I'm interested in work well in the room?
  • Will the screen work going forward or do I need a new one?
  • How to do sound and displays in the great room/living room?

I'm looking for help and advice as I think through this. One of the projectors I would like to consider is the JVC DLA-NX5 Projector, but I can't tell if it will work well nor do I know If I'll be able to pull it off at the moment. Not sure I'm using this correctly:

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 5.39.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 5.45.03 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 5.44.39 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 5.44.52 PM.png

Last edited:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
A note: the screen is 117" wide which means it is 134" diagonal.

The great room/living room's dimensions are 15' 6" x 19'. The ceiling is about 17' 7 5/8" to the center beam in the middle and about 10' 8" on the side.

I am strongly leaning toward an Atmos soundbar solution for sound there. I'm looking at the Sonos Arc with their sub and One SLs for surrounds. I've been doing a lot of research on it and soundbars and I think it's the way to go in terms of soundbars. I know the room isn't ideal for Atmos effects from a soundbar, but I think it's probably still the best solution for my situation.

I'm still hoping some HTF'ers will weigh in on some of my questions and plans (although I'm not sure I put this topic in the best subforum).

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Updates:

• I ordered the Sonos Arc, sub, and One SLs for the great room, but I waited too long to pull the trigger and they aren't supposed to ship until the first part of January.
  • I am looking at the JVC NX5 or the new Sony VPL-VW715ES for the theater room. I had planned on the NX5 until the Sony update.
  • I'm researching what my options are for audio in the theater room. I will start with my existing 5.1 system using my Atlantic Technology 4200e speakers and the SVS SB-3000 sub.
I want to move to Atmos, but my research and reading is giving me conflicting information. It's not a large room and some of the advice says that 5.1.2 is as high as I need to go or should go with the configuration. And then I found a guy on YouTube with the same room dimensions as our room who went 7.2.4 and he said he's glad he did. One of the companies he was working with recommended only using two Atmos speakers. So I'm a bit confused on what to plan for. I'm also looking at option for speakers to add to my existing Atlantic Technology system versus a whole new speaker system. It is tempting to go with a new system, but the budget would be better off with the former option. And I will have to buy a new Atmos capable AVR to replace my Pioneer Elite SC-77.

As always, I'm open to thoughts, advice or questions I should be asking that I haven't thought of yet.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
BTW, The Sonos Arc is an awesome soundbar and system. It has been fantastic in our great room. Of course, a discrete system would be better, but it was not feasible and the Arc, sub, and One SLs have exceeded expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Platelets