What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

PS3 Anyone have one ? (1 Viewer)

timZa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Anyone here get there hands on a PS3 yet? how do you like the game play? any problems? i see there going on Ebay at a nice mark up. i wonder if the prices will keep going up as Xmas nears.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i had a few to sell, sold one, and opened one up. havent played any games yet, i might buy one soon, when i actually have time to play it. the hardware itself seems really nice, touch sensitive power and eject buttons. i wont be too excited for the PS3 until GTA and GTHD come out. now, i want a wii :)

CJ

timZa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Chris, im also considering a Wii. did you sell the Ps3 on ebay? you think the ebayers will raise there prices as Xmas gets closer? did you use it to watch BlueRay? if so, hows the pic & sound.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
The only problem that I have with the PS3 is that there aren't any exclusive games that appeal to me aside from Resistance. Right now, I don't see why anyone in their right mind would pay eBay prices for a PS3. If you have a whining kid asking for a PS3 for Christmas, and you are a parent that has the means, by all means, go ahead and do it.

Am I happy that I have one? Sure. Is it worth all of the hassles? No. I am more satisfied with my 360 and my Wii. Wii Sports is surprisingly a lot of fun. However, I am looking forward to the PS3 exclusives in 2007, namely Lair, Killzone and MGS...but who isn't?

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I have one. I actually scored one accidentally. I called my local store looking for a Wii but they has a PS3 instead :D.

I love it. Sony's delivering on all the promises they made about the PS2 being the center of the home's media. I've taken out the DVD player, and replaced it with the PS3. The card reader works great, I just wish you could play music while watching a slide show. The games, well, there aren't many of them, but they kick ass.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
yeah, i sold mine on ebay. i have one opened, and one still sealed. i hope the prices go up before christmas, but it depends on the supply of course.

the only thing i've done is watch some borat scenes on dvd, i havent opened the talladega nights bdrom it came with. even if i did, my tv wouldnt look any better than a dvd, i'm guessing.

i realize i'm probably the worst guy to ask about the PS3, since i've basically done nothing with it yet :)

CJ

timZa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
For only what,a few 200,000 being released, i'm surprised how many are on ebay. i bought a Ps3 and a WII in hopes prices will continue to climb. i wonder how many of the buyers on ebay right now are just buying them for resale. for resale, i think the week before Xmas would be the time to off it.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
How many kids are getting these units? I really have to wonder when parents will draw the line (you're talking about $1k MSRP startup costs between games, controllers, and main unit). It's one thing to buy it as a family entertainment hub (then the price is semi-reasonable)... it's another to buy it solely as a gaming machine for your kids.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I have both the Wii and the PS3 and I never entertained the thought of selling either. As far as comparisons go, it's hard to do so. The Wii is an experience unlike any I've ever had in gaming, and, while the PS3 is awesome, it's really not a whole lot different from the 360, in my opinion. Resistance is a fine game, but nothing revolutionary as far as shooters go. It is gorgeous, though. Another thing: I miss the rumble feature more than I thought I would. It's weird playing a shooter without having a little kick from shooting.

Overall, I'd say the PS3 is exactly what I expected it to be so far. I'm just as happy with it as I was with the 360 last year, and I'm really excited about some future titles.

Ed B

Stunt Coordinator

Congrats on the find and kudos for keeping it.

I would keep the DVD player, the PS3 player doesnt upscale and you can get a $50 DVD player now that will (got a curtis dvd player that supports DiVX/XVID and upscales plus has HDMI). Also playing SD movies on your new PS3 is just causing additional wear and tear to the unit.

Ed

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I was at my local Wal-Mart over lunch today when they announced over the PA system that they had 60GB PS3s back in electronics. I'm not interested in buying one (I'm a 360 guy) but I just had to go see since I've never seen one of these 'on the shelf'.

I get back there and there are 12 systems just sitting there-- still in the cardboard shipping boxes-- right by the register. No one seemed interested in them. I'm sure they won't last real long though.

Kinda pissed me off because I would never have such luck if I was actually looking for one of these. :)

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I got one to replace the PS2 and spend some time on my new plasma. I only tried Resistance Fall of Man so far, but this was an amazing visual and audio experience for me. I foresee fighting my 10 year old for time with this new toy!

i purchased the 20gb model off of ebay. i ended up paying about $100 CAD above retail including shipping. i thought that was a pretty good deal since the seller threw in a few extras like an extra controller, a memory card adapter and xmen 3 bluray.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yeah, after I saw the PS3s at Wal-Mart I checked out Ebay to see if I should have grabbed a few to sell on Ebay. I'm glad I didn't as it looks like the 60GB models are going for less than $100 over MSRP. Factor in what I would have paid in tax and it's only about $50 premium.

timZa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim

Yea not hardly worth it. i wish i would have held on to my Wii a little longer before i offed it on the bay. a $3-$400 premium is worth it:)

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Quick question:

When does everyone think the PS3 will become more widely available? (to buy it locally)

I really want one, but not enough to pay more than they are worth or buy from a private seller.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
New shipments are trickling in all the time, you just have to get lucky.

I happened to be in EB the Tuesday after Christmas. I asked if they had a PS3 and the guy says "we are getting a shipment, no promises what is in it, but it may have Wiis and PS3s. Those kids sitting down are waiting for it." There were 5 people in line (though 3 were together so they were only buying on Wii). I came back an hour later and the line had grown by 1. It was 1PM and they expected the shipment between 2-3. So I waited an hour, by the time the UPS guy came in the line had grown to 20 people (I was 5th, net). They got 3 Wiis and 4 PS3s. The first 3 bought all the Wiis. The second four (of which I was second) picked up the 60GB PS3. The others were turned away. Pretty surprising that they got a restock the day after Christmas, but there it is.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I know you said locally, but this website tracks online stores and will e-mail you whenever they have the PS3 in stock. You can just get alerts for Circuit City and other stores that have real locations, so if you want to return or exchange it, you can probably go to one of their stores to do it instead of shipping it back.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Was again just at my local EB, they received several PS3s in today's shipment. No Wiis.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks