What's new

Sin City Blu-ray skipping/freezing? (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I have the two-disc "Recut, Extended, Unrated" version of Sin City on Blu-ray. It's been sitting on my shelf for some time, and I finally watched it last night. I watched the theatrical version of the film on disc one.

Unfortunately, it was plagued with glitches. The image froze briefly, then skipped ahead several times. The first time was during the "Deadly Little Miho" chapter, right before Jackie Boy pulls a gun on Becky. It did so again just a few minutes later, when Dwight and Gail are arguing about how to dispose of Jackie Boy's body. Finally, the last time was during the scene where Hartigan reads Nancy/Cordelia's letters in prison.

Additionally, there were issues with the subtitles. I turned the English subtitles on via the menu, but they would randomly stop appearing throughout the movie, only to return several minutes later. One time, all of the subtitles that had been skipped during their outage flashed on the screen in quick succession until they "caught up" and returned to normal.

This was on a Samsung Blu-ray player, and was reproducible if I went back to the same scene and played it again. I also tried the disc on my PS4 and at least the first two freezing/skipping issues were 100% reproducible The third skip didn't seem to happen on the PS4, though, and I didn't play around with it enough to determine whether the subtitle issue was present.

That the disc has no visible scratches or dirt on it, combined with the consistency of the problem, make me think that it isn't just a problem with my disc. But the fact that it occurs on both of my Blu-ray players leaves me surprised that I haven't been able to find more widespread reports of the issue. After extensive Googling, I was able to find only one report that appeared to be the same issue, where someone had the disc freeze up in the same spot on his PS3: http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Media/Sin-City-Blu-Ray/td-p/3500970

Has anyone else had this problem with the Sin City Blu-ray? Should I just buy a new copy? Unfortunately the two-disc Blu-ray appears to be out of print--the only copies available on Amazon are from third-party sellers and cost more than $40. Is the single-disc edition the same as disc one from the two-disc version?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks