What's new

Twilight Zone: The Movie (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I have a sort of odd question about this film. I don't own a Blu-ray, but I do own a DVD and I was checking it with regards to the freezing problems on some WB discs.

And then I got to thinking...how in the world did this title fall into the hands of Warner Brothers? Every other iteration of THE TWILIGHT ZONE always has some sort of legalese about THE TWILIGHT ZONE being the property of CBS/Paramount, etc. Yet scouring this DVD I see no reference to the ownership of the property by CBS or CBS, Inc or Paramount. It's not on the out packaging and it's not referenced in the film's credits.

I just wondered how in the world that happened. Maybe some of the members here who are experts on the "who owns what" front have the answer.

As for the Blu, it seems to be long out of print.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I have a sort of odd question about this film. I don't own a Blu-ray, but I do own a DVD and I was checking it with regards to the freezing problems on some WB discs.

And then I got to thinking...how in the world did this title fall into the hands of Warner Brothers? Every other iteration of THE TWILIGHT ZONE always has some sort of legalese about THE TWILIGHT ZONE being the property of CBS/Paramount, etc. Yet scouring this DVD I see no reference to the ownership of the property by CBS or CBS, Inc or Paramount. It's not on the out packaging and it's not referenced in the film's credits.

I just wondered how in the world that happened. Maybe some of the members here who are experts on the "who owns what" front have the answer.

As for the Blu, it seems to be long out of print.
I’ve heard that Serling held the film rights and attempted to mount a production throughout the 70s, with no success. After his death, his widow sold the rights to Warners.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My guess...and this is just a guess...is that Amblin licensed the IP from CBS, and then went with Warner for distribution.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
But wouldn't there be at least a mention of CBS as "licensed from CBS, Inc."

Remember, all other iterations of TWILIGHT ZONE over the years have CBS all over them. It's just this one-off movie.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
According to the book,'Outrageous Conduct', pgs.58-59. Rod Serling sold his TV TWILIGHT ZONE rights to CBS. Serling retained publication rights, "Twilight Zone Magazine", books, and movie rights.

Serling's former agent, Ted Ashley, was chairman of the board at Warners. Ashley bought the movie rights from Serling's widow.

New management at Warners were courting Spielberg and showed him a list of projects and he picked TWILIGHT ZONE.

Last edited:

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I have this on DVD....and it even has a hype sticker on the front that proclaims "FOR THE FIRST TIME ON DVD!"

:D:dance::dance::dance:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I never bought it on home video. Ultimately, it wasn't all that great a film, in my estimation. George Miller's segment was probably the best of the bunch, but it was a rather perfunctory remake.

My favorite bit from the movie was in Landis's infamous Vietnam segment with its callback to Animal House, as the lost soldiers were slogging through the swamp, and one says, "I knew we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer!"

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I always liked it...and watch it around New Year's every year because of the SyFy channel's Zone marathon.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I never bought it on home video. Ultimately, it wasn't all that great a film, in my estimation. George Miller's segment was probably the best of the bunch, but it was a rather perfunctory remake.
That's the best one but the Joe Dante It's A Good Life is fun too. Even with the dark cloud over the Landis segment, that one is still better than the Spielberg segment. However, my understanding is that Spielberg shot his after the accident on Landis' segment so he was stuck in the contract and he just completed the job & then tried to get the hell away from the movie all together.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks