What's new

GeForce Now (The Next Generation in Cloud Gaming) (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does anyone use the GeForce Now service for gaming? There were some hands-on articles about it this week, and it hit me that this might fit me well.

I’m kinda getting in the mood for more gaming this year. And I’m interested in current high end graphics games. But I don’t want to spend for a nVidia 3080 or 4080 GPU-based gaming PC — nor do I want to do “PC” gaming as I don’t have room for it. I’m a console-in-the-theater game (at least, before I was a Switch-in-bed-or-hotels gamer).

So here’s this service for $10 to $20 a month that approximates having a high-end $2000+ gaming PC. And it runs on my current hardware, including my nVidia Shield with my PS4 controllers.

I setup it last night, using the free tier. It was very not-user friendly figuring out how to make it work on my Shield and with a PS4 dual shock controller. But I got it working. I tried a few minutes of a free game — Asphalt 9 I think — and that was terrible (didn’t respond to the controller right). But then I tried Portal, which is one of the couple of games I own in Steam. And that was tolerable. Overall, I was playing the original PC Portal with a console controller on my 120” screen.

It has potential. The user experience in the app on the Shield is janky. But it’s usable. And the prospect of paying $20 to get a month of Portal RTX — portal with the new high-end ray tracing refresh — is tempting!

Does anyone use this service? Any tips or recommendations? Should I try it out on my HTPC? It should be supported. (The Shield was more appealing, with a simple app install from the Google store and not adding non-media stuff to my HTPC.)

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I need a recommendation for a keyboard and mouse combo that will work my the nVidia Shield and be usable in a leather recliner. Maybe a lap desk to make it all work?

I’m intrigued, but I’m a bit iffy. I might be better off buying a PS5. But, as I said, I’ve got some window-shopping curiosity about this cloud gaming stuff now. :)

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The lag kills me.
I wonder if it’s game dependent? Asphalt 9 was unplayable. Portal at quick try was indistinguishable from playing on local hardware.

The Verge only says “The latency improvements are huge for keyboard and mouse players, and I found it difficult to notice any lag most of the time.” And Ars makes no mention of lag.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Was this the service that connected to your Steam library to give you free streaming access to games you already owned?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Best Mac Gaming Experience Is a PC Sitting in a Dallas Data Center - MacStories
After a few weeks with GeForce NOW, I love this service. At $20/month, the Ultimate tier isn’t cheap, but the math is a lot easier to swallow when the alternative is buying a dedicated gaming PC for $3,000-4,000.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Was this the service that connected to your Steam library to give you free streaming access to games you already owned?
I somehow missed your question from earlier. To my limited knowledge, this isn’t anything about getting free games. But it’s new to me, I don’t know its earlier history or promos.

For me, it connects to my Steam account and lets me play games that are compatible. But my steam library is about 5 games and only Portal is compatible with GeForce Now, i think.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it doesn't give you free games but it lets you play your Steam games without paying an extra fee. I remember it being a big feature that they advertised on.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yeah, it connects to your steam and Epic libraries and plays any compatible games. But I have like 5 games, of which Portal is compatible. So I haven't been able to give it a good try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks