What's new

Horrible Jagged-ness on My PC with Streaming Movies (1 Viewer)

Xylem Flow

Auditioning
Real Name
Shane
I asked this elsewhere, but got 0 replies so I'm asking here.

This happens on my PC monitor for any Amazon Prime movie I watch (and Netflix too just not as bad). It's so bad I can't even watch the movie. I even have the Amazon Prime app set to best video quality.

It's even worse via a browser.

My specs are:

Windows 10 Pro 20H2
OS build 19042.1081

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
32.0GB Dual-Channel @ 1197MHz (16-16-16-39)
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME X570-P (AM4)
LG HDR 4K (3840x2160@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER (MSI)

All BIOS and drivers are current.

I get 204 Mbps download and 174 Mbps upload (Frontier). My PC is physically connected via Cat6 to my router/modem.

Is there a way to fix this? Or is this just the way it is?

20210703_180956-jpg.102328

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For whatever reason it looks like you're getting a resolution of about 40 pixels. The cause could be one of a hundred different things from your ISP throttling Prime to a setting in one of many different places.

Not much help, but there are just too many places the problem could be coming from.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Can you do an actual, Windoze screen capture instead of taking a pic from whatever camera you used? And probably save it in an uncompressed format -- well, as least something not (significantly) lossy compressed anyway.

However you took that snapshot (and then transferred it for us to see) may have made the image substantially worse than it is.

Also, do BDs look fine on this PC setup? Are there any other streaming service you can access that looks fine (even just trial access perhaps)?

I would suggest using their dedicated streaming apps instead of browser.

One thing: What's your Windoze display res set to?

Seems like you may have some odd (very low bit-depth) color dithering issues... perhaps on top of whatever weirdly low general res (in luminosity)...

IF this is only happening (this badly) via a browser, what browser are you using? And settings?

You suggested the monitor is HDR capable, but is it really, including the specs for connectivity? Is it actually HDCP 2.2 compliant? Not all 4K HDR monitors are necessarily compliant AFAIK, and if not, perhaps that could yield such a problem -- I don't really know...

_Man_

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
I use my phone to download Amazon Prime (on android phone), to downliad movies, then chromecast to my TV.

Maybe tommorow, if I remember, I'll take a look at my desktop.

But using my android phone, Amazon Prime is very choppy and nasty if I just stream only: (not download before watching).
Don't know why, but Amazon has never fixed the streaming issue.

Amazon seems to stream fine on an older Roku though.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Honestly, if you're at all discriminating and want to ensure good-to-best results, just forget about using Amazon... :P

And if you must using Amazon, at least go w/ more tried-and-true, solid solutions, eg. don't rely on chromecasting from your phone.

_Man_

Xylem Flow

Auditioning
Real Name
Shane
Wow. That is truly an amazing display of wild assumptions and misinterpretation.

I'm actually kind of speechless.

This is, I think, the most spectacular showing of pretentious douchebaggery stuffed into one forum reply that I've ever seen.

Right, then. You all have yourselves a great rest of your internet.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Well, despite your unappreciative last post, there is definitely something amiss in your streaming service. While Amazon may not be as good as Apple or Vudu, and it does have the annoying practice of taking a minute or so to ramp up from SD to 1080p, I’ve otherwise found it to have great quality streams (HD on my PC, and 4K on my streaming box). I think perhaps something is getting throttled by your service provider?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Back in my photo retail days a guy came into the store holding a TLR with a flash on a bracket and asked "how do I use this flash with this camera?" I was familiar with both units, so I said "Let me show you" and reached out for the camera. He said "You don't need these. Just tell me how to use them." So I explained as well as possible in the few seconds he gave me as he looked out the window.

A few hours later he came back and walked right up to me, saying. "Thanks to you I just ruined the first photo job ever. I've been a professional photographer for 30 years and never messed up a job until now. Thanks to you."

Just a random, completely unrelated memory. True story.

This is, I think, the most spectacular showing of pretentious douchebaggery stuffed into one forum reply that I've ever seen.
That's the truth.

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I agree with Mark. Either your bandwidth is being throttled by your ISP or your PC is having issues and can’t keep up with the stream. My wife and I stream lots of content from Amazon Prime (as well as Hulu, Netflix, HBO Max, and some Disney+ and Paramount+ content) via both a 3rd gen TV and 1st gen TV4K and I don’t have the issues you describe. I can also stream fine to my iPhone12 and 2012 MacBook Pro without issue.

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
I agree with Mark. Either your bandwidth is being throttled by your ISP or your PC is having issues and can’t keep up with the stream. My wife and I stream lots of content from Amazon Prime (as well as Hulu, Netflix, HBO Max, and some Disney+ and Paramount+ content) via both a 3rd gen TV and 1st gen TV4K and I don’t have the issues you describe. I can also stream fine to my iPhone12 and 2012 MacBook Pro without issue.

I haven't used Roku in many years.

But in my my case, all my internet comes from 4g, and so it's bandwidth can go up and down depending on how many people are using the phone service for internet consumption. (I use Verizon), but other than on weekends and holidays, it's usually pretty speedy. For obvious reasons, I'm not doing much streaming from Amazon Prime, and don't bother with any other paid streaming service. Data caps can get drained fast with HD movies, and I can forget about 4k movies being streamed.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Wow. That is truly an amazing display of wild assumptions and misinterpretation.

I'm actually kind of speechless.

Right, then. You all have yourselves a great rest of your internet.
You're at your wit's end trying to figure out what the cause of your problem is, and obviously you haven't been able to. So you come here to ask for help. People throw out some ideas and suggestions, and your response is to belittle and insult them.

Amazing.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I haven't used Roku in many years.

But in my my case, all my internet comes from 4g, and so it's bandwidth can go up and down depending on how many people are using the phone service for internet consumption. (I use Verizon), but other than on weekends and holidays, it's usually pretty speedy. For obvious reasons, I'm not doing much streaming from Amazon Prime, and don't bother with any other paid streaming service. Data caps can get drained fast with HD movies, and I can forget about 4k movies being streamed.
I’m fortunate to have gigabit broadband with no data cap.

Moleman X

Agent
Real Name
Rob Peace
You're at your wit's end trying to figure out what the cause of your problem is, and obviously you haven't been able to. So you come here to ask for help. People throw out some ideas and suggestions, and your response is to belittle and insult them.

Amazing.
I guess he was expecting someone to offer to come to his house and fix it? Men can be Karens too, apparently...

Bill_S_25

Auditioning
You may want to check your refresh rate in Windows (display settings -> advanced settings) . Mine got set to 30 somehow and after changing to 60 things smoothed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks