What's new

Progressive scan and 4:3 HDTV ready set (1 Viewer)

Blake Murdoch

Auditioning
I have a Toshiba TN61X81 set and I was interested in getting a progressive scan DVD player. I have heard all about doing the squeeze trick and I'm not into doing that at all. Now is it to any advantage for me to get a DVD player with progressive scan? I have asked some people and got different answers. I was told that if my set can do 480p then it is indeed worth getting. My set does and if I select the HD inputs as a DVD player it's supposed to improve the picture. Will everything be stretched and look off if I get the progressive player? Bottomline for me is it worth getting or should I just look at getting the best non progressive player that I can get? Any help would be more then greatly appreciated!
Blake Murdoch

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Welcome to the forum, Blake! Although I have no experience with Toshiba 4x3 sets, I'm sure someone here will...and soon you'll have lots of new toys! :)
Regards,
Steve

Blake Murdoch

Auditioning
Thanks for the welcome Steve. I've been aware of the forum for such a long time. I run a DVD related site and am really getting into home theatre. I don't know why it took me so long to sign up? Miss the site by the way I know lots of us liked the personal touches that kept it from being the same old thing each and every day. See ya around the Forum I'm sure. Now.....can anyone help me here? :)
Blake Murdoch

Chris Moreau

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Blake!
Just set your progressive scan player for output to a 4:3 tv, and you'll be fine. You'll still get all the advantages of a progessive player; you just won't have the additional resolution from anamorphic discs that you would have with a 16:9 set or from squeezing the image on a 4:3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks