What's new

looking for an HDTV but have some questions (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hey all,I may be in the market for a new HDTV. I plan on looking at buying an HDTV tommorow but I'm a newbie to the HD stuff and I have a few questions pertaining to the whole HD thing and what I should be looking for in my search for an HD set.

1. What connections should I be looking to have on this set? I plan on hooking up a DVD player and a TiVo to it so I'm planning on getting at least S-Video and component video. However, I've heard a lot of people talking about these new connections like HDCP and HDMI, and DVI. What is the difference between these and the other standard connects? is it recommended I try to get these new connects on my set?

2. I plan on using this to watch both DVDs and Tv. However, I'm more of a Tv watcher. I know most sets nowadays are 16:9 but for my needs and wants 16:9 may not be practical nor feasable (due to space restrictions). Is there such as a thing as a 4:3 HDTV set that can do a 16:9 mode for when you want to watch a WS show or a DVD? would should a thing make my WS DVD's function like it were a true WS set complete with anamorphic enhancement?

3.There are so many different HD formats it seems (480P,720P,1080i), what HD formats should I look for in my new Tv to allow me to watch hi def programming in my area and enjoy progressive scan DVDs?

4. It seems the technology is always changing and the HD standards are still kind of in a disorganized state, is it wise to purchase a new HDTV now or should I hold off for a little bit longer to give the industry time to get more organized and the technology more time to stabalize? what are you HD converts opinions on this?

5. I'm looking for a HDTV in the ballpark of $800 or less. It seems like I can get a decent set that meets my space requirement (27 inches) for this price, some of them even have a built in HD tuner. Do you all have suggestions in terms of brands or models that meet my price? so far most of my looking has been at Samsung and Sony (the Sony is HD ready and uses HDMI and HDCP as an interface while the Samsung's have HD tuners built in but none of the connects like HDCP or HDMI). Any suggestions on good brands or models that meet my price?

Please help me. Thanks!

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
1. DVD Player: Go either Component or HDMI/DVI for a digital set. I dont understand why digital sets offer so many composite options anyways? It pales is comparison. It even pales in comparison to S-Video and did 8 years ago. S-Video is not bad either. My old tv actually looked better on S-Video than component. Strange.

2. Tivo: I would say go HD-Tivo, but this is probably not an option. For a smaller set, regular Tivo will probably be ok. I dont have a Tivo yet (I dont really know what a Tivo could do for me? I cant find anything to watch already), but have viewed both.

3. Some sets offer fantastic stretch modes. I have a set that you cant even really tell it's stretched. No one looks fat that shouldnt. Some very good options. Unfortunately, the best stretching options and features are limited to higher priced sets from what I have seen. They have also advanced in the lat few years. I knew someone who paid 5 grand a few years ago for a Rear Projection HDTV. The stretching makes everyone seem like balloons. I paid around 3 g's very recently for my new set because I just couldnt stand the awful stretching modes on $1000-$1500 sets and a Widescreen was an absolute must for me now. Too much DVD's and Gaming. Widescreen is soooooooo much better for widescreen materal and HDTV which is also 16:9. It's like all my DVD's are new again and I thought they looked good before. Lets not even get started on HD.

4. Thats your decision. Things will always be upgrading. Just like computers. Those who bought the very first plasmas for example probably want to shoot themselves now. Us who buy now will want the newer thing in a few years. Just the way it goes. The right time is when you are ready.

5. If you are an avid tv watcher and dont care for widescreen, the Sony 4:3 Direct View is a nice set. Keep in mind you will get widescreen lines on all HD material just as you do DVD's now.

At $800, you are pretty limited in options. Absolutely stay away from anything that isnt HDCP/DVI or HDMI compatible. You will need this in the future for certain things which will be copy protected.

The good news is you should be able to find a fairly decent 27 inch set for around your budget. Just dont expect the greatest thing of all time and you should be happy.

Good Luck.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Thanks for the reply, your answers have helped me somewhat.

Incidentally, I went looking today and am particularly attached to the 27 inch HD ready Sony KV-27HS420. I compared it to a Panasonic and several integrated Samsung HDTV's and just felt that the Sony provided the best picture. I'm also keen on the Sony because it provides a couple Component inputs/outputs as well as HDMI/HDCP. The Sony is 4:3 but it includes a WS mode which will allow me a good blend between my standard TV watching and my DVD watching, I did not get to see how the 16:9 stretching option in use but I suppose that if I test it and it's bad that it will be a deal-breaker for me. Circuit City has their Tv's on sale through Saturday so I suppose that by next weekend I'll have to make up my mind on what I want to do if I expect to take advantage of the sale prices.The Sony is a very nice set to me though and I've become quite attached to it. Any other suggested models I could try and look at? thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks