What's new

Preston Sturges--You are a wanted man! (1 Viewer)

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
Just when will we see more of his movies? Anyone know? I love Hail the Conquering Hero and would like to see Miracle of Morgans Creek. Are there any other movies of his besides Sullivans Travels out on DVD?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The Lady Eve is also out in a very nice edition from Criterion. I'm pretty sure none of his other films are out on DVD. Perhaps we'll get them from Criterion as well? We can only hope! :)

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
I saw the little ad on IMDB and it reminded me how much I want his movies. I'll end up getting Lady Eve, even though I don't like Barbara Stanwyk so much.

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
The Miracle of Morgan's Creek is forthcoming from Paramount in 2003 in a Special Edition.

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Put me down for a copy of THE PALM BEACH STORY. This movie is Preston Sturges at his hysterically funny best- hopefully, Criterion will do this one.
Maybe we'll get lucky and Fox will do UNFAITHFULLY YOURS sometime soon.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Must have more Sturges on DVD, I want everything, but if I had to choose one it would be The Great McGinty

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The Sin of Harold Diddlebock (a.k.a. Mad Wednesday) was announced in R2 France, but does not seem to have been released yet.
It may not quite be Sullivan's Travels, but there are several completely priceless scenes.
Ted

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I just watched Christmas In July for the first time tonight. Another gem from The Genius!!
"The Blueblood Brand.
It's bred in the beans!"
"If you can't sleep at night,
it's not the coffee,
it's the bunk!"

DeeF

Screenwriter
Sullivan's Travels is on DVD from Criterion.

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek is the funniest movie ever made, IMHO.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Has there been any recent updates on the "Miracle at Morgan's Creek" DVD? I read about this on the offical Preston Sturges Website http://www.prestonsturges.com/ about 3-4 months ago, but I haven't heard anything recently.
I'm looking forward to picking up that title as well as any other titles that they want to throw my way.

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
From the official website mentioned above:
STURGES ON DVD
Criterion DVD has licensed two Preston Sturges films to become part of their remarkable catalogue of pictures. They are THE LADY EVE and SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS. The family is working closely with Criterion and the DVD will feature never before seen script pages, production notes, stills and other interesting elements. We are likewise discussing a program of releases with Universal Home Video that would begin in 2001 in a 'double-feature' arrangement that would highlight a well-known effort with a work from earlier in his career.
"Our suggestions: THE PALM BEACH STORY & EASY LIVING, CHRISTMAS IN JULY & REMEMBER THE NIGHT, HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO & IF I WERE KING."
The contributions of site visitors are welcome.
http://www.prestonsturges.com/bulletin_dvd.html

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Just received the Criterion of "Sullivan's Travels" in the mail and watched it for the first time this evening. Wow. One of the most enjoyable films I've seen in a while. Perfect blend of comedic and dramatic moments. The love story is there but not sappy or in-your-face (I'll add that Veronica Lake is an absolute doll). Best of all, the ending totally floored me and elicited a response on par with what I felt at the end of my first viewing of "It's a Wonderful Life". Remarkable and something I will definitely be watching again soon.

Bottom line: more people need this DVD in their hands (even though it's expensive -- there is a great 76 minute docu from PBS on Sturges included)! Sign me up for "The Lady Eve" next...

(Yes, I realize this thread is old, but sometimes you just have to gush.)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I am in total agreement with your comments, Dane: it's a great film, with some of the sharpest dialogue you'll ever hear. I think it is the most beautiful American comedies of the Studio System Era, a true touchstone in Western Cinema.
Get The Lady Eve as soon as you can, you won't be disappointed. Stanwyck and Fonda playing sharp cards on a boat with ultra-witty dialogue and farcical situations galore - what more do you want from life?!
I love Sturges' movies. Monumental works of comedy. The Palm Beach Story was recently released with a fine transfer from Universal at a very low price, check it out too, it's a riot!
Never be afraid to gush about movies, folks! :D

AlexHL

Stunt Coordinator
The Palm Beach Story is indeed a magnificent film; one of the definitive screwballs IMO. It's also budget-priced so it really is a blind-buy!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I haven't taken the plunge on Lady Eve or Sullivan's because of the high price, but those and Palm Beach are all fantastic movies. Dane, if you like Sullivan's, you can't go wrong with the other two. Palm Beach is out-and-out controlled lunacy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks