What's new

What Audie Murphy films can you recommend? (1 Viewer)

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
After watching many movies over the years both old and new my experiences of watching films has only had me seeing one Audie Murphy picture.

That picture was "No Name On The Bullet" and it blew me away how good not only the film was but the performance from Murphy too.

Was over a decade ago now that I first saw that movie but have never got around to checking out any of his other pictures.

With 50 movies to his credit on IMDb over a 20 year period it seems there must be a few more films that he starred in that still hold up after these many years.

Destry is one I have on my radar but that is about it.

Can anyone recommend any films he is in that are really good movies?

Not asking technically for any movies in which his performance are good but more specifically if any films he is in are actually good and worth watching.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
To Hell And Back immediately comes to mind.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are several Murphy films I like but here are some of my favorite recommendations:

Red Badge of Courage (John Huston Directed)
Night Passage (With James Stewart)
The Unforgiven (With Burt Lancaster & Audrey Hepburn)
Walk the Proud Land
The Duel at Silver Creek (Don Siegel Directed)
Gunsmoke
The Guns of Fort Petticoat
The Gun Runners (Don Siegel Directed)
Ride a Crooked Trail
The Cimarron Kid (Budd Boetticher Directed)

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
There are several Murphy films I like but here are some of my favorite recommendations:

Walk the Proud Land
Gunsmoke
Ride a Crooked Trail
Thanks!!!

Will check them out.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl

Walk the Proud Land
Gunsmoke
Ride a Crooked Trail
Have you seen Sierra?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Have you seen Sierra?
More than a few times. I've own it on DVD and now Blu-ray courtesy of Kino. A solid 1950s western.

1693811778707.png
1693811833357.png

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I like Ride Clear of Diablo. The always reliable Dan Duryea works well with Murphy, and the beautiful Abbe Lane plays a dance hall girl.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Curious as to why you did not put it on your list.

It got a 4 star rating by a reviewer so those choices you suggested must be really good indeed.
If you read that previous post again, which is quoted below, you will see that I clearly stated I liked several Murphy films, but I only listed some of my favorite recommendations. There are at least another 10-12 movies I can add to that list including Sierra and Ride Clear of Diablo.

Walk the Proud Land
Gunsmoke
Ride a Crooked Trail

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I can second the recommendations for at least two: THE RED BADGE OF COURAGE (a masterpiece, if only we could have Huston's complete version) and THE GUN RUNNERS, a very good adaptation of the Hemingway story previously filmed as TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT and THE BREAKING POINT. It may not be fully their equal, but it's damned good, with Murphy at his best. I recently thoroughly enjoyed KANSAS RAIDERS..one of Murphy's early ones, with some very good future stars, Dewey Martin, Richard Long, Tony Curtis, terrific James Best as well as Scott Brady and Brian Donlevy

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Thanks guys. I love how perusing on the HTF gives me ideas on what to watch next. It’s been ages since I saw Night Passage, and I bought the German blu-ray 5 years ago and it’s been sitting on my shelf unwatched. I‘m finally going to enjoy it this week!

jeremylr

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy Luke Roberts
For latter-day Audie, 1965's "Arizona Raiders" is a jewel in the desert. Helmed by Tarantino favorite William Witney, Audie is surrounded by a top notch supporting cast with former Tarzan / Olympian Buster Crabbe, Ben Cooper, Gloria Talbott, Michael Dante, Ray Stricklyn, and George Keymas. Fast forward thru the ham-fisted extended opening reel where newspaper reporter Booth Colman narrates the backstory of Quantrill's Raiders. All it does is kill the momentum and must have been added to pad the western's running time. The savage violence, particularly the cactus torture rendered by the Yaqui Native Americans, is something I'm unaccustomed to seeing in non-spaghetti westerns of the era. Witney was on top of his game here in terms of action and character development. Dante and Keymas are two of Audie's most ruthless antagonists. Nearly everybody who meets their maker is given a memorable death sequence, especially Audie's buddy. And Audie's not just collecting a paycheck as the been there, done that hero in the white hat. He delivers as a conflicted former raider with a score to settle. Crabbe recruits him out of prison to become an undercover Texas Ranger and infiltrate the last vestiges of Quantrill's gang. But Audie would much rather hightail it to Mexico until kid brother Stricklyn nobly interferes…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks