What's new

Presence Speakers (1 Viewer)

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
I hooked up all my speakers but my back ones
So I have left and right fronts with a center speaker which gives me 3 speakers so far
Hook up the back surround speakers gives me 5 total so far.
For a 7-2 receiver it shows 2 back speakers also to the rear of the listener.
Where do these speakers get hooked up to?
Yamaha RX-V683 on back shows
Extra speaker Surround back, zone 2/bi amp
Then the other set says Extra speaker 1 f presence zone 2
Does front presence speaker sound all the time like my fronts?
The manual has it circled and says for 5.1.2 channel system.
My reason I don’t want to blow up the new receiver. What I was hoping for a extra set of speakers to my rear like my front left and right that will sound with them. The surrounds are hooked up just don’t know which post to come off of for the extra rear speakers. Does it not work this way?
Sorry for the long post, but need help on this one, Thank you, Pete

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
F0AAAFB3-5D07-4DC2-919F-03525B8A3595.jpeg
Here is the back of receiver

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Presence speakers are more of a gimmick than anything. With Atmos, the whole concept of "presence" speakers is a thing of the past. Notice the post you linked is 12 years old.

From what I can tell, you have 5 speakers, so I would set them up as 5.1. Three (L/C/R) in the front and two surround speakers connected to the L&R Surround. Ideally, the surround speakers are supposed to be to the sides of the viewing position, not behind. A lot of people put them behind the viewing position, but to the sides is simply better and how it's supposed to be done.

Then your receiver has the capability for two more speakers, which could be Atmos or rear surround. That's the limitation of the receiver, though.

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Thank you, I am 100% with you. I could of just purchased a 5-1 instead of 7-2, I am running 2 subs.
I wish I could place the surrounds like you mention, but the room where we sit ,it is not possible .
I will keep the setup I now have, I am not able to change out receivers,so when I set speaker volumes I will select 5-1
Thanks John

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You could try some reflecting front "Atmos Enabled" modules to get some more overhead effects. Something like THESE ELACs, though there are other brands. Depends on what the ceiling is like, but that's at least an easy way to get some extra ambience.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, it most definitely does. You would connect them to the last set of connections, and configure the receiver to use that as reflecting Atmos speakers. You have to connect and configure these sets of speakers correctly.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A search will show up a lot of doubtful info. There’s a good link I’ll try to find.

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Ok John thank you, one question, should I wait till I have the new presence speakers in place before messing with setup?
You don t realize what this means to me. Thank you

Last edited:

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
The Elacs look good but pricey for me, but if they work correctly I can purchase them.Ceiling is 8 foot and in the place I sit it vaults up to near 12 feet I added on to the room 14 foot, making the room around 30 foot. Where I sit the TV is 22 foot from me.
If you need any more info just ask,
I checked to see if Cervin Vega makes a Atmos speaker but come up empty in my search, all my speakers are CV

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
I read this, am I able to get 4 presence speakers hooked up.?

Dolby says you’ll need a minimum of two of these ceiling-facing speakers, but suggests four speakers or modules for optimal sound.
Right now from what I read, these presence speakers are placed on top of your front speakers?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm not sure that reflecting speakers would add much, considering the layout of your room and the long distance between the viewing position and the TV. 22' is a long way from the TV.

Even thought you can connect 9 speakers to your receiver, it can only use 7 of them at a time. It's a little deceptive. In theory you can use it change which speakers you use for different circumstances, but I don't know why that would be a benefit. So, you can have the 5.2 setup you have now, or you can add one pair of Atmos speakers, but to do four Atmos speakers, you need a more expensive receiver.

I'd just set up the 5.2 for now and consider adding a front pair of Atmos speakers. those should either be on or in the ceiling between your viewing position and the TV, or reflecting off the ceiling.

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
I do have Bose cubes mounted between myself and TV, wires are there already so I could just buy Atmos speakers.
I need to find a Atmos speaker that is mountable, the entire ceiling is drywall.
Thanks for clearing this up for me

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Where is that wiring located? Something the people constantly misunderstand is that Atmos speakers should be overhead, not just elevated. In or on the ceiling, between you and the TV for the front pair.

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Between. me and Tv and around a foot from cathedral ceiling.
When the addition was added on i vaulted the ceiling. So where TV is the ceiling is flat for around 12 feet, then where I sit it is vaulted. I can try and get a picture of it for you

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Here some pics. Last one is from where I am sitting, 2nd one shows the cube speaker

Attachments

• 5BE6DA90-BA8B-4AF8-9EA2-122505BD3B70.jpeg
    5BE6DA90-BA8B-4AF8-9EA2-122505BD3B70.jpeg
    954.6 KB · Views: 342
  • 230DF26E-6C38-4D9D-863C-90F98CC3F5BE.jpeg
    230DF26E-6C38-4D9D-863C-90F98CC3F5BE.jpeg
    801 KB · Views: 319
  • 4AA34C3C-4D44-4EBE-AF6B-42303B023F19.jpeg
    4AA34C3C-4D44-4EBE-AF6B-42303B023F19.jpeg
    821.5 KB · Views: 363

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks