JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That looks positive for improving the setup. Are those Bose cubes not currently being used? From what you've said, the surround speakers are actually on the rear wall, out of site in the pics? And your viewing spot is at that same rear wall? Is that a speaker at the bottom middle of the brick wall? I'm guessing there's another pair of Bose cubes on the left hand side that's not in the pics?

If I'm understanding the layout correctly, the wiring you have now should be ideal for some surface mount Atmos speakers in place of the Bose cubes. Or, you could even use the cubes for now to save money. They could stay where they are, or ideally you would just move them from the wall to the ceiling. An improved option would be something like SVS Elevation speakers mounted to the ceiling and angled toward the viewing position. Either of those options would be a big improvement to fill in the gap between your front speakers and the surrounds.

You can try it now without making any changes. You would just connect the Bose cubes to the connections on the back of the receiver marked "Atmos" and enable them in the speaker setup of the receiver as front Atmos speakers. Then you need to run your calibration again to get their levels right. It won't cost you anything. Ideally, those speakers should be mounted on the ceiling instead of the side walls, but this is an easy way to just hear the difference they make.

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Yes, there is another cubed Bose on other side. I have included a pic of where my surrounds are mounted and the reason for that is a big picture window to my left, I will snap a couple more. These speakers you mention if you run into them surfing please link me up

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Here are a couple more

Attachments

• 948BC112-33EA-4165-878A-93B3A81C4038.jpeg
    948BC112-33EA-4165-878A-93B3A81C4038.jpeg
    887.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 9697E218-6098-4E65-A1E6-2AD0C7BCF933.jpeg
    9697E218-6098-4E65-A1E6-2AD0C7BCF933.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • 42BFCA40-F8D6-484E-9EDB-6D1A2111F0E8.jpeg
    42BFCA40-F8D6-484E-9EDB-6D1A2111F0E8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 71

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
I guess I can put the surrounds on stands but there is a piano on the other side of me, these are new surrounds and wall brackets cable of moving side to side and up and down. These replaced the Bose 501 outdoor speakers

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
In the last picture it shows wires where other speakers were once, I took those wires and extended them to behind me, but I can move them back and lower them, This way the surrounds would be to each side of me but behind at around 20 decrees

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Plus a little concerned from heat coming off wood burner, what do you think, put them back on wall to side of me

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would move them back to where they originally were. The biggest thing is you don't want them inches from your sitting position. So, further away, even if it's too high for the ideal is better then a foot from your sitting position.

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Each side of wall,pics are worth a thousand words, I could lower them to ear level

Attachments

• 8ACCF45F-09CC-4EFA-8A66-BAFAE330E287.jpeg
    8ACCF45F-09CC-4EFA-8A66-BAFAE330E287.jpeg
    890 KB · Views: 54
  • 68DE0C88-6ECB-4028-B9EF-4C3159F546FE.jpeg
    68DE0C88-6ECB-4028-B9EF-4C3159F546FE.jpeg
    957.4 KB · Views: 58

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
I would move them back to where they originally were. The biggest thing is you don't want them inches from your sitting position. So, further away, even if it's too high for the ideal is better then a foot from your sitting position.
Sounds good, I will do that tomorrow, thanks my friend

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
...and if you connect those cubes as front Atmos, it'll make a huge difference. Even where they are currently located will make a big improvement.

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
But then they're right behind your head. I'd rather have them higher and less direct.
Thanks John, I will place them up and behind me.
Yes that is a old center speaker I placed between the 2 Bose Cubes, That is no longer used and I need to get it down.
You are a confidence booster for me, I will do what you said and get back to you in a couple of days, after I run my speaker levels. The receiver cMe with a CD and I will play that also, I am sure it mentions how to setup up levels. I do prefer my surround to be heard.
This new CV center channel made the difference, it may be a bit louder then I like but I shall see in the next coming days.
Tomorrow is shot for me as I have group to attend at the VA.
Again I appreciate the time you gave me John.

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
...and if you connect those cubes as front Atmos, it'll make a huge difference. Even where they are currently located will make a big improvement.
I still wish to buy different speakers made just for Atmos sound. So I would need something that mounts to the wall or ceiling.
I do like those Elacs, not sure if they would work for my setup.
No rush on it, if you come across some link me up

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The ones which come to mind are the SVS Elevation, which can be mounted on the ceiling. They mostly show them wall mounted, but they can also be surface mounted to the ceiling. You would angle them back toward the viewing position.

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
If I would buy these SVS I would think to mount it on the stone part, because they would be facing me then.
I am reading that not many shows support Amos, could be over kill.
Like you mentioned I will hook up the cubes and go from there, my wires are right in the back of my receiver, just need to hook up.

Attachments

• ECFCF2D5-3042-4D34-B9BB-3A3DC0D16700.jpeg
    ECFCF2D5-3042-4D34-B9BB-3A3DC0D16700.jpeg
    799.4 KB · Views: 62

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Atmos speakers really are supposed to be in/on the ceiling, aiming down, rather than directly at the viewing position. If you go with the Elevations, I would mount them to the surface of the ceiling angled toward the back of the room. It might seem wrong, but that is exactly how it's supposed to be done.

Even though there's not much actual Atmos material currently, you can turn on Dolby Surround post processing in the receiver, which will matrix audio for those speakers. I suspect you'll be quite surprised how much it opens up the sound in the room. Fortunately, you can try it at no cost using the cubes.

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Sounds good, can’t wait to mess around, today and tomorrow. My ceiling does not go to back wall, it is slanted the opposite way from where I sit. This is what I see sitting in my chair looking upwards

Attachments

• 1AC53E00-89A7-46A8-AB28-E07A7561591C.jpeg
    1AC53E00-89A7-46A8-AB28-E07A7561591C.jpeg
    868.9 KB · Views: 59

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks