JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, they'll be slanted inward due to the ceiling, but put the bevel of the speaker aimed toward the back of the room. Ideally, they should be spaced the same as the front L&R speakers. As in a straight line out from the L&R speakers. That's not critical, but something to consider. Just do what's convenient, but I'd put them inward from where the wires come out of the wall.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, but ideally they shouldn't be so close to the side walls. I don't know why people have so much trouble with this, but Atmos speakers are supposed to be overhead. Ideally they should be straight out from the left and right front speakers. So, instead of them being so far to the sides, angled toward the center of the room, you would put them just in front of the vertical rock part of wall, angled toward the back of the room.

HERE is Dolby's suggestion for a 5.x.2 setup using overhead Atmos speakers. It's not practical for you to have the Atmos speakers this far back in the room, so they would be further forward than ideal. You can only do what you can do. Notice the Atmos speakers are in line with the L&R, not way off to the sides.

Last edited:

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Cool, putting my surrounds back on my wall almost match what is in the diagram. I understand what you say now

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
I am looking it over and I will be able to hide my wires bringing them out of the corner and in line with my fronts

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Sounds good, can’t wait to mess around, today and tomorrow. My ceiling does not go to back wall, it is slanted the opposite way from where I sit. This is what I see sitting in my chair looking upwards
John, if I get the speakers I plan on mounting on the flat ceiling, on each side of deer head mount. Hope this will work for me.
By the way that deer my wife hit with her car. Lol

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I recommend putting them on the vaulted part of the ceiling, about half way between the deer head and the side wall on each side.

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
And away from the stone work?. I am a retired electrician, so fishing wires over should not be a problem.
I just hooked up the cubes and put up the surrounds, so I burnt myself out getting that done. Painting and patching holes that were there before. I have not cranked up the receiver today, so tomorrow is another day.
I need to wait a couple of months to purchase the Atmos speakers. I contacted the seller and asked if they ever go on sale and told me no they do not. Seems when I make a purchase on Amazon the item goes on sale a week later. I am not talking a couple of bucks,I seen items on sale go for 50 bucks or more and that is upsetting to me!
I am looking for a open box maybe to save a few bucks.
Purchasing a new center speaker and surrounds broke the bank for this month.

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Fishing those wires away from the wall is not a option for fishing cable, the studs run the opposite So looking at pieces of wire mold now

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Here is the surround in place

Attachments

• 9B627761-D790-49C7-AD19-31C2C094BE7E.jpeg
    9B627761-D790-49C7-AD19-31C2C094BE7E.jpeg
    913.3 KB · Views: 64

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
John speaker levels set and those presence speakers are alive (Bose cube) for now as I discussed.
One issue with my firestick is lip sync. Not a easy task to correct
Watching TV the sync is OK.
The center channel is much quieter since I set levels. I could not get it to run in auto. Kept telling me check speaker wires. One banana plug come on done. I like setting them to my ears any way, more of a custom fit I will play a disc soon, but so far I am happy.
I have it set to 5.1.2. Reason my sub was. It sounding off with it set to 7.1.
I checked the tones and now they are all operating.
Now someday I will buy better presence speakers, thanks again for all your help. Take it Lite.....Pete

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Before punching holes in ceiling I want to mount speaker above this window, it would pretty much be over head for me there. Hope to run cable up tight in corner and splice wires that are going to my cubes right now. If that does not work I will try and fish wires over towards the fan
Should have the speakers by Wedesday

Attachments

• 445C2D71-DF97-4933-8C2B-93ABBF6A6CF8.jpeg
    445C2D71-DF97-4933-8C2B-93ABBF6A6CF8.jpeg
    941.5 KB · Views: 59

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK Pete, take a breath.

That last pic is helpful, because it shows how much distance there is between the front and surround speakers. That creates a big empty space, which I suggest filling. That Dolby page is a great guideline, but you need to adapt it to your environment. So, even though in an ideal room with 5.1, you would add speakers almost directly overhead for 5.1.2, I suggest putting the Elevation speakers further forward than "ideal" to help fill in that gap. I'd be inclined to put them on the front side of the vaulted ceiling. As in, right at the opposite side of the peak, and aimed toward the sitting area.

In other words, we already established that your surround speakers are further back than ideal, so I suggest putting the Atmos further forward than ideal to compensate. The goal is to basically fill the room with sound, rather than having all the sound come from the two extreme sides of the room.

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
That will help with hiding wires also. My wires are on each side with the cubes and I do hear them now playing a movie.
Like you mention there is a gap of 12 feet flat ceiling. Then the new room or addition vaults up and those cubes are another 12 foot plus to where I sit.
There is many way for me to hide cable if I stay near the stone work on wall.
Looking forward to receiving my new speakers

Peter Trent

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Here is a shot standing in front of TV

Attachments

• C2935568-93D7-4377-B00C-CD2FD2E233B6.jpeg
    C2935568-93D7-4377-B00C-CD2FD2E233B6.jpeg
    902.7 KB · Views: 65

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I got the room twisted around in my last post. I’d put them close to the rock wall. Same logic with the room orientation corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks