What's new

Please read: Future and current DIYers (1 Viewer)

Geno

Supporting Actor
iVE JUST STARTED READING "THE AUDIO ENCYCLOPEDIA" PUBLISHED BACK IN THE 60'S. HOPEFULLY I CAN UNDERSTAND SOME OF IT. I WONDER HOW MUCH BEYOND LAWS OF PHISICS IS STILL CONSTANT FROM BACK THEN TO NOW.

Paul E V

Stunt Coordinator
Okay - Is there a sorta non-technical "Compleat Idiot's Guide to Speaker Building" out there? I can deal with power tools pretty well (still have all my fingers...) but I still have no idea what "D'Appolito" means.
Hey! :angry:
I'm missing part of a finger and it had nothing to do with power tools ....
Stupid garage door :D

AllenJE

Auditioning
Well I've given up on getting a cable card for my HTPC. Is there anyone out there who knows if there is a video adapter or tv tuner card that can accept component inputs from a cable box?

Phaseshift

Agent
Real Name
Phil
ShannonS said:
Jack -
I have to agree with Adam. Go easy on us newbies. The last physics class I has was in high school and I am by no means an EE. I am reading Vance Dickason's "Loudspeaker Cookbook" before I embark on my first subwoofer DIY project. It's very technical and a great deal of it is over my head, as is the case with the Unibox software. I have learned some basics from my research, but I don't know that I will ever be at your level of understanding. My background, by the way, is in finance and accounting. So if you need some advice on balance sheets, income statements, cash flow statements, etc., I am happy to help.
We may ask some dumb questions, and in some cases, the same dumb question twice, but bear with us as we try to figure out how to do it on our own. Having said that, anyone that doesn't at least attempt to figure out what all of this means probably shouldn't be trying to build speakers.
Thanks to everyone here for the excellent advice and help. It's very much appreciated.
I am going to attempt a SW-12 clone similar to the Aerial Stryke, but with a 12" driver. I think ThomasW and Jon Marsh have something like that in the works. Expect a "I need help" thread from me soon. I can do the woodworking part, but cabinet size (80L?), amp (Hypex 700w?), driver (BP1203?), damping, and equalization (if any) are a bit fuzzy at this point. By the way, does anyone know how to contact Bill from Blueprint about ordering a driver?
Ha - If you can do accounting, you can in fact _absolutely_ do all the necessary math and 'figgerin to make a good sounding sub and probably do a great job putting together a good system. Reading the cookbook is a very helpful aspect as well- good stuff.

paezrobert

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
Patrick Sun said:
Let's all try to keep our own project discussion threads within 1-2 threads to be fair with everyone else who's got something cooking (having threads roll off the first page of ongoing projects doesn't have to happen if we all maintain some thread creation control).
When people start 6 different threads asking about a small piece of the puzzle, the helpful people start losing track of who's wanting to build what, and that's when it gets confusing for all of us here.
Thanks.
I read this post after I had just started another thread when I could have just added on to my first thread. Sorry about that.

rfun1942

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ
Well thanks for that!! Now I'm not stupid just lazy!!So much for the reason i thought this site was here to help! If I could do this my self why would I be here. Bye

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.