What's new

Please read: Future and current DIYers (1 Viewer)

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
that is a good idea like the sono tube page you can have a faq page with links to a short thread with the anser to the faq

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Subwoofer section:
1) What levels are you trying to achieve? How low? What size room?
2) Music/Movies percentage?
3) What size can you live with?
4) Slam or smooth?
5) Tube or box?
6) What to power it with? How much?
7) Budget?
8) Skill level/tools?

Speakers:
1) Look at every kit you can find.
2) Build one of them.

Pete

Will Orth

Stunt Coordinator
Well here is my project, all works jsut need to make room look nice-or as you would say designer crap.. lol

Will

Will Orth

Stunt Coordinator
oh I forgot, I will awnser any questions on the new forum on my site, this is just for ideas of what is on my site and no reflections on what goes on here.

thanks
Will

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
whats the deal with only being able to do one search every 45 seconds? and having to go back and refill the search fields everytime is getting old. the whole search fuction is annoying now :angry:

A

Anthony_Gomez

I completely agree with you. If is suggested to search for an answer before blindly posting questions that have a high likely hood of already being answered. ....now that is detoured.

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
lol, lets start a search boycott and start asking multiple dumb questions until they fix it. :D
well i have figured out now that if you click your back button just fast enough and just right you can get back to your original search. but still, the 45 sec rule just sucks. i need to search faster than 45 secs.
hell no
we wont search
hell no
we wont search

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Currently, searches put a lot of processing strain on the servers when the load is high, so the 45 second lockout after each search is being used to curtail forum slowdown. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Okay - Is there a sorta non-technical "Compleat Idiot's Guide to Speaker Building" out there? I can deal with power tools pretty well (still have all my fingers...) but I still have no idea what "D'Appolito" means.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Okay - I've been flogging that book for a coupla weeks now... Were you having fun with me?

Newbies - WHATEVER you do, don't buy the Loudspeaker Cookbook as your first speaker design book unless you've already got an advanced degree in electronics, the physics of sound, whatever.

DavidES

Stunt Coordinator
More core book suggestions/options to go along with the other suggestions if permitted:
"Advanced Speaker Systems" by Ray Alden RS 62-2317; really explains Thiele-Small parameters, designing different types of enclosures, and basic passive crossovers using layman's language. It's a little out of date compared with technology now available but still a good core book. My copy is pretty well falling apart. :) Lots of scotch tape being implemented.
"Building Speaker Systems" RS 62-1087A; pretty basic speaker construction/woodworking tips.
They should also get "Basic Electronics" RS 62-1394 for circuit basics.
All should still be available from Radio Shack. Those should get DIY newbies started down the right track.
These were not that expensive or hard to read.
The only other thing I would suggest to find is a book on soldering and basic wiring which, I think, RS has also.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I think we need a FAQ thread that should be mandatory reading for people new to the DIY forum. It would somehow force you to read the FAQ thread before posting your first question in the DIY forum. That way, there should hopefully never be another thread asking if you can recycle the amp from sub X to use with driver Y, etc. :D

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
David, I agree with you. I usually recommend those two (especially the Advanced one) Radio Shack books to folks. "Advanced" is not a simplistic book lacking in detail. It will get a newbie a long way down the road.
Brian, yes, a required FAQ is a good idea, but I think that given the large variety of questions and pursuits, there should be more than one FAQ. The sonosub FAQ/thread/area is a great example. I'd think there should at least be a general, beginner Subwoofer FAQ, a Subwoofer Amplifier FAQ (to take care of the "Amp X with driver Y" questions), a basic cabinet construction FAQ, a cabinet veneering FAQ, a laminate FAQ, a painting FAQ and a Crossover FAQ.
That should generate some responses;)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Like man, I got dis kickin' sub from my homedog, and he said it's good for like 3-4 thousand watts. Can someone tell me if dis thang can be used as a hometheater sub? It was like free, so I'm gonna use dis sucka anyway. Can I get some help here?
Oh, and how come they ain't no amps with dis kinda power for home shiznit? Can I use da amp from his car too?
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.