What's new

Paradigm surrounds: Atoms or ADP-170's? (1 Viewer)

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
Forgive me for making a new thread on this topic. I've been discussing my soon-to-be-bought Paradigm 5.1 system in at least two separate threads, and I'm trying to consolidate my thoughts into a more focused thread. This thread.

I'm going to audition Paradigm Atoms, CC-170, ADP-170's, and PDR-10. This setup fits nicely within my budget, and unless I'm dissatisfied with the audition, I'll likely make a purchase in the next 2 days.

It appears that Atoms may be cheaper than the ADP-170 surrounds. I know the ADP-170 features a dipole design in order to create a more diffuse sound for surround duty. With my current lousy rears (old sony satellites), the surround track always seems decidedly localized. I suspect that the dipole design of the ADP-170 would probably serve me better, especially since I'm going to be using this system almost 100% for DVDs movies.

But my Yamaha A/V has 6.1 DTS-ES Discrete/DD-EX...and given that the Atoms are cheaper than the ADP-170's (I think), I might be able to get Atoms all around -- including rear center -- for about the same price as a 5.1 set with ADP-170's. The addition of the rear center Atom could complete the rear stage and mitigate the localization effects of 2 direct speakers for the L/R surround.

Is my logic sound? What advice can you offer? Any been-there-done-that stories?

David Sorenson

Stunt Coordinator
I'd stay away from the Atoms as the new plastic back has significantly reduced the sound quality. Can't comment on the ADP series. If you go with direct, make sure the model has a wood back.

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
I'd stay away from the Atoms as the new plastic back has significantly reduced the sound quality. Can't comment on the ADP series. If you go with direct, make sure the model has a wood back.
Do you know this from experience? This is the first I've heard about the new plastic back causing any reduction in sound quality. I was actually on my way out the door to go to the Paradigm dealer when your message caught my eye. Now I've postponed my trip until tomorrow so I can do more research on this matter...I hope your comment wasn't merely speculation! :D

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I have the Atoms with the plastic backs and they sound GREAT! My Paradigm dealer hasn't carried the wood back Atoms for awhile. This is the first time I've heard anyone mention this and I've read a TON of reviews on these.

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Atoms with the plastic backs and they sound GREAT! My Paradigm dealer hasn't carried the wood back Atoms for awhile. This is the first time I've heard anyone mention this and I've read a TON of reviews on these.
Yeah, I just got done reading as many reviews online as I could find. I didn't see any mention of the plastic-backed versions offering up diminished performance in any way.

If it hadn't been for David's warning, I probably would have been on my way home right now with my new Paradigm setup. But his warning sounded sufficiently ominous to make me second guess everything I've read up to this point.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I would still recommend the Atoms, out of all the reviews I've read this is the Only time that I've heard of this. I think it was a BIG issue you would have heard it mentioned before. It may just be a matter of taste. You should go and give them a listen, see what you think. I bet you'll fall in love with them just as I did.

Are these Atoms great sounding speakers? I am looking at replacing some Bose cubes currently being used as surround sound speakers?

How would these Atoms match-up with Bose 601's. I have a Paradigm sub that I like. Are their other speakers pretty good?

Sorry if these questions sound basic, but I'm new to the forum and am trying to improve my HT setup.

Bill

Kevinkall

Second Unit
Are these Atoms great sounding speakers?
YES, they are GREAT sounding speakers for there size and price. You can get a pair for under $200 and worth every cent. I don't know how well they will blend in with your Bose, I'm guessing not very well. Still good speakers and worth checking out.

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
Are these Atoms great sounding speakers? I am looking at replacing some Bose cubes currently being used as surround sound speakers?

How would these Atoms match-up with Bose 601's. I have a Paradigm sub that I like. Are their other speakers pretty good?
Bill -

I'm new to alot of this too. It does seem that the Paradigm speakers in general seem to be very well regarded, especially for the price. Search on the internet and you'll find that most of the reviews of Paradigm speakers are more than complimentary. There's nothing particularly special about the Atoms vs the other Paradigm models, except that they have very good performance for a price just about anyone can afford. < $200 per pair.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Um, the atoms would EASILY replace those Bose 601s. No comparison at all. Forget about using the as surrounds, stick the lousy 601s in the rear, and put those atoms up front, IMO.

Ans as for David's mention of the plastic back, I dunno WHAT he's talking about. The atoms are an absolutely amazing bargain. As for whether to go 170 or atoms, depends on your priorities and how much you're willing to spend. Obviously the ADP 170s are more $$, so you should go audition with both and see whether the more diffuse field is worth it.

I just looked up the Atoms on the internet and just to make sure we are talking about the same speakers here are these the little speakers that require a stand?

If so, than LOL there is no way these little speakers are going to out perform my Bose 601's. I think they would do well as surrounds if they are as good as everyone says they are, or maybe as mains in a very small room. Where can I listen to these atoms? Does best buy or circuit city carry them?

Bill

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
I just looked up the Atoms on the internet and just to make sure we are talking about the same speakers here are these the little speakers that require a stand?

If so, than LOL there is no way these little speakers are going to out perform my Bose 601's. I think they would do well as surrounds if they are as good as everyone says they are, or maybe as mains in a very small room. Where can I listen to these atoms? Does best buy or circuit city carry them?
Bill -

I think many here would disagree strongly with what you said. To be fair, I haven't listened to the Bose 601's or the Paradigm Atoms yet, so I can't speak from experience. Read the reviews of the Atoms though, and see how many are stunned that such a big sound can come from a small box. Don't necessarily judge this speaker by its size. Be objective, have an open mind, and listen to this speaker (as with all speakers) before passing judgement.

You cannot buy Paradigms at mass-market retailers like Best Buy. You need to go to a paradigm dealer to audition/purchase them. www.paradigm.com has a dealer locator.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
In my very first home theater setup I was using Paradigm Atoms all the way around with a PS-1000 subwoofer and I was always amazed by the quality of sound these incredible little speakers projected into my listening area. I am one of those people who strongly believe the Atom to be the best bang for the buck speaker on the market.

I now own a house with a rather spacious area and have upgraded to the Studio 60's, Studio CC, but I still use the Atoms as surrounds. I just can't part with them!

William do your self a favor and find a dealer near you and give them a listen.

reagrds,

greggor

dajaga

Stunt Coordinator
hey dude one thing is stay away from the micros. i did not like the sound of them. im going to be upgrading them in the beginning of next month. to eaither adp 370 or mini monitor

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yes. We are talking those small little atoms for 189/pr. They better the bose 901s. Go listen. You'll NEVER go back to bose, you won't regret it either. Good luck! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks