What's new

painting recessed light trims (1 Viewer)

Keith M.

Second Unit
The recessed lighting trims I ordered only came in white, so I need to paint them black...

What type of flat black paint should I use? Im assuming it will get pretty hot so I want something that will be both safe and durable...

I was thinking of using a flat black spray paint...

Any suggestions welcomed...

Thanks in advance

CodyL

Grip
You might look at automotive stores at engine paint or at a hardware store for grill (as in bar-b-q) paint. Don't know if the colors would be OK or how it would work out, but the heat resistance would not be a problem I wouldn't think.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
the paint that is on the trim as it comes from the factory is just plain paint, regular flat black paint should be ok.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The paint will stick to the trim ring better if you rough it up with #400 grit sandpaper. Make sure the ring is fully cleaned of the residue before you paint.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

T r o y

Supporting Actor
keith,

I just recently finished my room. I too bought recessed can lights for my ceiling and the trim rings were also white.
I had to paint them black to match my flat black smooth ceiling. I just used ordinary flat black spray paint from HD and they turned out fine. I've no prob since.

Later!

Keith M.

Second Unit
thanks everyone for the advice...

off to Lowes once again...:)

Ive spent more money at Lowes lately than BestBuy :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks