What's new

Canned?Recessed Lights Rear Surround 5.1 Speakers (1 Viewer)

PeachLover

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Funderburk
Hello everyone, this will be my first post. I am hoping it will help prevent a divorce... My wife hates visible speakers but did allow me to mount the front speakers on the wall. The center channel speaker is wall mounted below the TV. I hid the sub woofer under the floor and ducted it beneath a bench. I am at a roadblock for the rear surrounds.

What I need are ideas for back speaker placement in an old school surround system 5.1. I purchased some decent in ceiling speakers that I intended to use as the rear surround speakers. Definitely not the ideal set-up but it is just for the rear sound effects. A friend used ceiling speakers for the back surrounds and it sounded okay. My wife doesn't want me to cut or add anything else to the ceiling.

We have six recessed lights so I thought about using something in two of those. I saw that Pyle has a combination speaker led light to fit the holes. Unfortunately the speakers do not have very good reviews. Plus I am not sure if i can separately wire the speakers directly to my system. The Pyle speakers are bluetooth. The magnets on the Pyles show 8 ohm. Does anyone know if I can bypass the Pyle controller and simply attach wires to the speaker posts. The rest of my system is 8 ohm. My other thought is to use the Pyle framework but replace the speakers with a better quality speaker.

The other idea I had was to "port" the existing can light body in the attic and mount a boxed speaker directly over the can light. My thought process is for the sound waves to pass through openings in the can light's body. I know I will have to glue/epoxy the can light parts to avoid tinny or vibration noises from the can light. My ceiling is not insulated because we spray foamed under the roof system and walls. The attic is a "conditioned space." Accordingly, access is easy from the attic side.

The last option I have found is the Klipsch LightSpeaker. It basically screws into the existing light bulb socket and communicates through a bluetooth controller that is wired to the receiver. Unfortunately it is discontinued. Used ones are out there on Ebay. I do not know much about them.

The distance from the couch to the TV is 14 feet. No side walls available for rear surrounds. One wall is open to the kitchen and the other is either windows or doors. the front speakers were limited by the door to the inlaw suite on one end and a built-in bench on the other.

I know it is never going to be optimal but I want to improve it as much as possible. Eventually, there will be a theater room in the basement.

Attachments

• Plan 2.jpg
    Plan 2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Can1.jpg
    Can1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Can2.jpg
    Can2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Ceiling.jpg
    Ceiling.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Center.jpg
    Center.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 92

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Thanks for reminding me that I need to bring my wife some flowers. :)

Does anyone know if I can bypass the Pyle controller and simply attach wires to the speaker posts.
If you can access the terminals on the speakers, then you can connect your own wiring to them.

The other idea I had was to "port" the existing can light body in the attic and mount a boxed speaker directly over the can light. My thought process is for the sound waves to pass through openings in the can light's body.
I really can’t see this working well.

It basically screws into the existing light bulb socket and communicates through a bluetooth controller that is wired to the receiver.
Generally, wireless rear speakers in are over-sold, and part of the problem is Bluetooth. It’s a blinky platform. Do a search for my article “wireless surround sound speakers, it’s a mess.”

Since the wife seems fine with doing something wall-related, why not do in-wall here? (see picture)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Attachments

• Ceiling.jpg
    Ceiling.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 67

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I know it is never going to be optimal but I want to improve it as much as possible. Eventually, there will be a theater room in the basement.
I suspect this is not what you want to hear but I doubt any of the options available will produce results worth the time and effort. How far off do you think your dedicated room is? Maybe just live with 5.1 until then.

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
Put the effort into the dedicated room and forget about the surrounds if you aren't willing to have them near the same height as the fronts.

Welp this room is built for out of spec and for maximum neck strain isn't it?
😳😖

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks