What's new

Original Hawaii Five-O Complete Series Package (2 Viewers)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
"Over Fifty? Steal"

This is not only the best episode of season three so far, it's easily the best episode I've seen from the first three seasons combined.

311 Over 50 Steal Hume Croyn.JPG

Hume Cronyn single-handedly steals this episode. I was intrigued by him the entire time. I especially loved the scene where after he robs, he walks up to the security camera, points his gun at it, and squirts water on the lens. What I loved so much about it was the way all the Five-O guys laughed. I could tell they had a sneaking admiration for him.

Just so much fun for an hour to end my day.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
"The Double Wall"

I really admired this episode because it had a truly great--and believable--ticking clock. Usually this kind of TV series episode is less than stellar because of problems with the ticking clock, but the tape to secure the shotgun barrel to the man's neck (and to the convict's trigger hand) lent this story some serious gravity.

314 The Double Wall Mc clears convict.JPG

The episode was very well photographed, as well. Another one on my "Best Of" list.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
My brother has his favorite show of all time "The Fugitive" on DVD.
I coaxed him into buying H5-0(he has never seen an episode), and told him "Be prepared to have a new all time favorite TV show".

Always love to see new fans discover H5O, it’s been hands down my favorite series for 31 years of local reruns, cable reruns, DVD and digital HD (even in spite of those less than stellar episodes from the series’ final 3 seasons).

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
"Paniolo"

Though not one of my favorites, I appreciated the values being explored here: so-called progress versus environmental humanity, and how the battle can leave us feeling hopeless with no way out.

315 Paniolo - old man wants keep land.JPG

This I.O.U., for me, was the perfect symbol of the honor implicit in the episode's value system. I was saddened at the choice Frank made, at the value system that ultimately won the day. But it's part of what makes this an enduring series, IMHO: more times than not, Hawaii Five-O goes for the reality over the fairy tale.

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
"To Kill Or Be Killed"

Having recently watched Ken Burns's VIETNAM series, this episode hit me like a ton of bricks--in a good way. It hit me as an authentic, scathing condemnation of the war, dramatizing its costs on multiple levels: financial, spiritual, familial, personal. It succeeds on a pure visual level, as well.

317 To Kill or be killed.JPG

Growing up I loved this show because of its location, music and action. But now I'm all grown up, and I'm developing quite a large amount of respect for this series in many other ways.

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Sabrina Scharf was a cute and fun actress. I liked her in these episodes and wished she had returned as well. She didn't do too much acting past this show into the 70's. She got involved in environmental concerns and became an attorney. I liked when Five-0 went spy. It seemed to go away when Leonard Freeman passed.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
"The Gunrunner"

I enjoyed this episode very much. I have never had a problem with TV shows using stock footage of inanimate objects over and over. You have to in order to stay on budget. But when they use stock footage with human beings actively doing and saying very particular things, it always blows my mind. I first noticed the technique earlier this year watching PETROCELLI (a show that did it a lot). Now I see it with the tracing of a phone number in this fine episode. The footage--if I am correct--was first used in a season two episode.

320 The Gunrunner.JPG

I wonder if it will be used yet again. My guess is that I'll see it in season four at some point. In fairness, no one could have foreseen that one day people would own personal collections of these shows and watch them at their leisure, back to back. True, there was a gap of an entire season before this footage was re- employed...that's using it sparingly. :)

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
The telephone-trace footage will be re-used again and again, sorry.

Any time that HPD does any sort of computer search, you'll see re-used footage of punch-card sorters, line printers.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Any time that HPD does any sort of computer search, you'll see re-used footage of punch-card sorters, line printers.
It's not the punch-card sorters or line printers that bother me, or airplanes or anything like that--it's when they get human beings saying or doing something and they show that exact footage over and over that it takes me out of the story.

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
"The Bomber and Mrs. Moroney"

This episode is up there with "Over Fifty? Steal" and "Reunion" as my favorites from season three.

322 Bomber and Mrs Moroney.JPG

To me, Hope Summers will always be Clara Edwards from THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW. But here she breaks that mold in a terrific way. I liked everything about this episode--believable characters and tension. It certainly goes on my short list of the best of the best of FIVE-O.

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I finished another fine season of Five-O. Here's my shortlist of the best season three episodes. It will be like playing a happy tune to watch these again someday (especially the ones marked with an asterisk).

PDVD_000.JPG

Season Three Favorites

And a Time To Die
The Second Shot
Reunion*
The Late John Louisiana
Over Fifty—Steal*
The Double Wall
The Gunrunner
The Bomber and Mrs. Moroney*

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I finished another fine season of Five-O. Here's my shortlist of the best season three episodes. It will be like playing a happy tune to watch these again someday (especially the ones marked with an asterisk).

View attachment 41805

Season Three Favorites

And a Time To Die
The Second Shot
Reunion*
The Late John Louisiana
Over Fifty—Steal*
The Double Wall
The Gunrunner
The Bomber and Mrs. Moroney*

Very good list! Mine would include FOB Honolulu, The Ransom, Force of Waves, Beautiful Screamer and Paniolo.
How would you rank S3 compared to the first 2 seasons?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks