What's new

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I think Darbee will need to come out with a UHD version first. May see a 203D if they do.

For 1080p, the recommendation would be a 103D or 103, but unless they have refurbs they are only now selling the 203.

The MediaTek chip is always improving and the one in the 203 is a joint effort custom chip for Oppo, so I have no doubt it is "reference" output. That being said, with a 1080p display, unless you want to use it as a scaler for 720p/1080i content from say your dvr, or playback a 2160p disc at 1080p to get advanced audio like Atmos, I don't think you gain anything.

There are plenty of folks with 4K players outputting 4K discs at 1080p so they can get advanced audio.
I got a reply back from oppo support. As mentioned, Darbee does not support native UHD and they don't expect it for at least 18 -24 months if ever. They recommended 103D if one was sticking with 1080p sources and not upgrading to a 4K set.

Gee, I didn't see even that the 203 is the only player even for sale on their site! I guess they figure if one hasnt bought a HD player from them by now, they aren't going and sales reflect that. Why keep production going on an old model?

Have to consider how well used 103s will be selling when ready to buy. Still have my Sony 929xbr 55".

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
This player sucks, for $549 no netflix or youtube apps?

As demonfoo said, they stated the what and why about this 1-2 months ago, it was no mystery. I have two pc's of equipment in my HT and they do all I need. The Roku Ultra and the 203. In the past I have found that the Roku is generally ahead of players, many players don't have all the apps in either UHD or HDR right now anyways, so no matter what player you own you almost have to have a Roku too.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I got a reply back from oppo support. As mentioned, Darbee does not support native UHD and they don't expect it for at least 18 -24 months if ever. They recommended 103D if one was sticking with 1080p sources and not upgrading to a 4K set.

Gee, I didn't see even that the 203 is the only player even for sale on their site! I guess they figure if one hasnt bought a HD player from them by now, they aren't going and sales reflect that. Why keep production going on an old model?

Have to consider how well used 103s will be selling when ready to buy. Still have my Sony 929xbr 55".

Yeah, I mean the 103D was selling for $599, and the 203 is $549 + future proof for awhile. Might as well just only sell it and the audiophile 205 when it comes along.

demonfoo

Auditioning
Real Name
Derrik Pates
I am thinking about getting a Darbee enhanced Oppo for use with my DLP projector.
If you want it, I now have my 103D re-boxed and ready to go, with all the original accessories (though I swiped the power cord from my new UDP-203, so you'll get a nice new untouched power cord). The remote was used twice - when I first got it, and when I was shopping for a new 4K UHD TV, otherwise it's basically unused. I just use my Harmony 880 otherwise. Also, it includes an Oppo-supplied Roku Streaming Stick, if you want one.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Response from Oppo today after offering up my Batman V Superman UHD disc (this is another reason you buy an Oppo folks).

We will then test the disc and see if we have the same observations. If we do not, then we will look into replacing your player. If we do, then we will look into replacing your disc and keeping your disc for compatibility testing.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
My biggest bitch with the 4K releases is that most of the studios are not including the 3D versions of the films, where they exist. "The Secret Life of Pets" is an example. I had to choose between the 4K and the 3D blu-ray release. I bought the 3D BD, because the biggest improvement I have seen with this 4K set is in the 3D, once i had set it up properly.

I totally agree with Edwin. 3D on a 4K set upscaled is great. I actually feel 3D gives you more bang for you buck than 4K. It sucks how the studios just write off those of us who enjoy 3D. Check out Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children for great 3D experience.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Dave Upton

Oppo Releases UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

UDP203-1024x403.jpg

Oppo has announced that the much anticipated UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray player will go on sale starting today. The UDP-203 is the successor to the widely acclaimed BDP-103, and features a proprietary video processor that performs video decoding and processing. The UDP-203 launches with full support for both HDR standards, HDR10 and Dolby Vision, as well as the latest in audio codecs...
Read more.
I would like to thank Oppo 4 keeping a good price !!!

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Updates:
  • Got my Roamio OTA hooked up to the HDMI In this morning and the scaling from 720/1080i looks great. Had a slight sync issue but +30 seems to have dialed it in. I hate fine tuning lip sync, it sends my OCD into over drive.
  • HDR strip, leaving BT2020 in place, is broken. Some scenes have a red push, some real bad, others look fine. I watched Bourne UHD last night and when it was on, it was on! When it was off, it was way off. Oppo has acknowledged the issue due to JVC FP owners and others bringing it to their attention, plus this feature wasn't initially slated to even be available on release.
  • My B v S UHD disc that would not play should be in Oppo's hands on Monday, will be curious to see what they say.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Anyone know if the Oppo ROKU stick that I currently use with my Oppo player will work on the 4K model?

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I dont think the HDMI Input is a MHL input, if you have the MHL model. Not sure though.

demonfoo

Auditioning
Real Name
Derrik Pates
Anyone know if the Oppo ROKU stick that I currently use with my Oppo player will work on the 4K model?

The documentation for the UDP-203 doesn't mention MHL, and I happened to still have the Roku Streaming Stick that I got with my BDP-103D. I just tried plugging it in, and nothing happened, which is what I would expect from a non-MHL HDMI port. Sorry.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I totally agree with Edwin. 3D on a 4K set upscaled is great. I actually feel 3D gives you more bang for you buck than 4K. It sucks how the studios just write off those of us who enjoy 3D. Check out Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children for great 3D experience.
The new ghostbusters includes the 3D. Haven't watched it yet so.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Just an FYI if anyone wants to hang on to their 103/105s or players with Mediatek chips MT8580 or 8560 to rip SACDs for file playback - Mediatek chips MT8580 - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...ing-using-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true-29251/. I have not tried it yet as I have a PS3 for that. I have two 103Ds, one in the main system just for video and one in a back-up system where I will replace it with the UDP-203 when it gets here this week and likely move the 103D into the bedroom which feeds the outdoor speakers and allow me to select files from my NAS.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mine arrived on Friday and so far I'm loving it. The new UI alone is a huge upgrade from the 103, and I ordered a region free kit for it from JVB Digital today. It looks like the 203 is another winner from Oppo!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mine arrived on Friday and so far I'm loving it. The new UI alone is a huge upgrade from the 103, and I ordered a region free kit for it from JVB Digital today. It looks like the 203 is another winner from Oppo!
Doug,

Do you have a link to that region free kit? I can't find it on that site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks