What's new

MAGNETAR's new UDP-800 Universal Blu-ray Disc Player (1 Viewer)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
I am impressed with all of the specification and features. Just built our Magnetar UDP800 webpage and here's the pdf spec. sheet.

Magnetar's very 1st US allocation/shipment is scheduled for the week of Jan. 2 and I'll post on our opinions after spending some time with the UDP-800. I'll also be loaning the UDP-800 to a few of my YouTube channel owner contacts for their reviews.

Here's some basic information on this new premium Universal Disc Player/Network Streaming Device:

Magnetar UDP 800 front scaled

Disc type: UHD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, AVCHD-SACD, CD, Kodak Picture CD, CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW, DVD±R DL, BD-R/RE

Output: Analog audio: stereo Independent stereo analog audio: XLR balanced output, RCA output Optical/coaxial audio: up to 2 channels /192kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS HDMI audio: up to 7.1 channel /192kHz PCM, up to 5.1 channel DSD, Bitstream HDMI video: UHD/p24 1080/1030p / 1030I / 720p / 576p / 576I / 480p / 480I

Analog audio characteristics: Frequency range: 20HZ-20khz (-3dB ~ +0.05dB) Signal-to-noise ratio: & GT: 120dBr Total harmonic distortion + Noise: & LT: 0.00018% Output level: (RCA) 2. l±0.2Vrms. (XLR) 4.2±0.4Vrms Dynamic range: AGT: 120dB Channel separation: & GT: 120dB

General specification: Power supply: AC 100-240V ~, 50/60Hz Power: 30 W (Standby: 0.5W in energy saving mode)

High-Power transformer: MAGNETAR engineers specially selected a custom 60W high-power low noise transformer for the UDP800, with a two-stage filter design along with Japanese Rubycon electrolytic capacitors to meet the high transient response required by surround sound systems and high-resolution audio.

A separate metal case lowers noise level, providing stability and silence, further improving audio and video quality.

MAGNETAR_UDP800-inside-view-1024x748.jpg

Premium Digital Analog Converter: For Pure Audio playback, UDP800 specifically adopts a 4-layer PCB circuit board where each channel is designed with independent wiring. Two independent Burr-Brown PCM 1795 DAC processors are used for two-channel D/A decoding, processing left channel and right channel respectively. And high-quality MUSES8920 OP-AMP for audiophile sound quality.

UDP800 comes with stereo XLR gold-plated balanced terminals and stereo RCA gold-plated unbalanced outputs.

Pure audio mode function is available to bring uncompromised sound quality to audio lovers.

Magnetar-UDP800_Audio-curcuit--1024x577.jpg

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looks like it would be right at home sitting on a solid amp stand

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It's a handsome machine and those specs are impressive, but how much is this going to cost?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Interesting how new companies are coming to market, now that the familiar legacy brands have abandoned disc players, especially higher-end offerings. Denon and Marantz left the market in 2014, Yamaha jumped ship in 2017, Oppo bailed in 2018, and Pioneer, Cambridge Audio, and Samsung offered their last players in 2019. Panasonic is the only legacy brand left making a high-end player, as far as I can tell – Sony and LG show only lower-end offerings in their lineups. It will be interesting to see how the Magnetar and Reavon brands fare over time.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
@smithbrad Here's what I know at this time. Magnetar's UDP-800 is equipped with the very highly respected professional quad-core system Media Tek MT8581 SoC. So the UDP800 4K UHD Blu-ray player features advanced image decoding and processing technology and accepts all DVD formats and performs the best possible up-scaling to 4K.

I'll be testing and evaluating the UDP800 to several other BD players to see how it compares and get back here.

Wayne, Reavon is a nice moderate and steady selling line of premium BD players. I expect them to stay in the market and love their three BD player/streaming devices series. So buyers have a nice choice to select the model that best matches their needs and budget.

At CES next week I'l be speaking with Sound United, owners of the Marantz and Denon brands, Pioneer, and Panasonic about their plans for future BD players. The Blu-ray/DVD market is still strong and the growing a/v enthusiasts market wants physical media. I'll be giving them my best encouragement to continue ot develop and support physical media and BD/DVD in particular.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Looks nice with tons of features, and that remote is impressive.
I'd just worry about the longevity of such a pricey player.

Last edited:

YANG

Screenwriter
...It will be interesting to see how the Magnetar and Reavon brands fare over time...
the only difference between MAGNETAR and REAVON, is that the latter is a rebadge while Magnetar is a fresh design... aesthetically.
Google for GIEC BDP5700, you'll see something familiar, yet with very basic internals.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
@smithbrad Here's what I know at this time. Magnetar's UDP-800 is equipped with the very highly respected professional quad-core system Media Tek MT8581 SoC. So the UDP800 4K UHD Blu-ray player features advanced image decoding and processing technology and accepts all DVD formats and performs the best possible up-scaling to 4K.

I'll be testing and evaluating the UDP800 to several other BD players to see how it compares and get back here.

Wayne, Reavon is a nice moderate and steady selling line of premium BD players. I expect them to stay in the market and love their three BD player/streaming devices series. So buyers have a nice choice to select the model that best matches their needs and budget.

At CES next week I'l be speaking with Sound United, owners of the Marantz and Denon brands, Pioneer, and Panasonic about their plans for future BD players. The Blu-ray/DVD market is still strong and the growing a/v enthusiasts market wants physical media. I'll be giving them my best encouragement to continue ot develop and support physical media and BD/DVD in particular.
Robert do you know if some of your friendly Youtubers are going to review this? I need to see (much) more about it before I purchase.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Robert,
This seems very similar to the Oppo 203. Do you know if it has 2D to 3D conversion like that player?
I haven't been able to find much about the 3D feature set anywhere on this player, and I'm definitely interested in it!.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.