Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Another bug, or potential bug has cropped up. Not sure how this one made it thru testing...

It started with Lumagen owners reporting it was outputting 24hz, not 23.976. Well, people are seeing stutters or frame drops which would make sense. I saw it regularly on Jason Bourne UHD and Suicide Squad 1080p blu. That is exactly what it looks like to me, a slight stutter/dropped frame every so often. Only workaround for now would be potentially outputting 60hz, which is ridiculous.

That being said, the microstutter is not bad by any any means, but it is easy for me to notice.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yep, I've noticed it too. On my setup it happens very infrequently, but it DOES happen. I agree that it's amazing this issue made it through testing. Knowing Oppo though, I'm sure that a fix will be forthcoming soon. Until then I'm going to try the 60Hz fix and see if that mitigates the problem for now.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Yep, I've noticed it too. On my setup it happens very infrequently, but it DOES happen. I agree that it's amazing this issue made it through testing. Knowing Oppo though, I'm sure that a fix will be forthcoming soon. Until then I'm going to try the 60Hz fix and see if that mitigates the problem for now.

Good deal, more info out there the better. I dont mind helping fix an issue with a company like Oppo, because you can email support and they listen. Plus the lurking beta testers will test too if you can present the issue.

I am going to watch Pete's Dragon tonight which is 1080p blu, with EVERYTHING set to auto and see if that changes anything vs the colorspace and bit that I had forced, before trying 60hz. Will be the last movie until next weekend, so maybe we can get a FW update before Christmas.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I emailed Oppo support as well. BTW, my setup is:

LG OLED65E6P
Denon AVR-X4200W

My UDP-203 Video Output settings are default. Everything is switched through the Denon with all video processing disabled. HDMI cable run from the Oppo to the receiver is 3ft, and 6ft from the Denon HDMI out to the LG.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I emailed Oppo support as well. BTW, my setup is:

LG OLED65E6P
Denon AVR-X4200W

My UDP-203 Video Output settings are default. Everything is switched through the Denon with all video processing disabled. HDMI cable run from the Oppo to the receiver is 3ft, and 6ft from the Denon HDMI out to the LG.

Pretty much same as mine. I have the 9500 and marantz 7702II.

demonfoo

Auditioning
Real Name
Derrik Pates
Here you go Robert:

http://www.jvbdigital.nl/jvb.asp?le...e&searchtype=quicksearch&searchstring=udp-203

The internal kit is $99 + shipping and the external plug-and-play USB/RS-232 port version is $129 (ouch) + shipping.

I'm tempted to get one. I know the site says "!!! NO SOLDERING NECESSARY !!! Just open your player and plug it in." But do you know what's involved? I'm not afraid of opening a piece of electronics (well, especially one with no amplifier in it, so no big transformers/capacitors), but I'm just curious what I'd be in for. Is it plugging a couple of headers into the main board?

bronty

Grip
Real Name
neil
I am considering purchasing the new oppo 203 to add to my system but i am not sure i will get the benefits of this UHD player
My system is Marantz NR1606 slimline
Philips 55put6400
kef 305 5.1(adding dolby atoms speaker later this year)
DM8000(dream box)
I would like to use the 203 as my main audio in put for CDs so would connect it to the NR1606 slimline via a 2.0a hdmi cable to the audio input.I would connect the TV direct to the oppo 203 and my dm8000 to the HDMI input on the 203,to allow it to upscale to 4k.( i will get all the correct cables).
But my tv(Philips 55put6400) is not HDR just 4k would the oppo be overkill for this tv.I would like to upgrade the tv in the future to a OLED lg, but the wife would divorce me if i spent £650 on player then £1800 on a new tv.
My other dilemma is i use the tv for amazon prime 4k content, how would i get the sound to my av from my tv? i now use a optical cable but this would not allow certain audio signals such as dolby atmos.
first posted in beginners thread sorry

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I am considering purchasing the new oppo 203 to add to my system but i am not sure i will get the benefits of this UHD player
My system is Marantz NR1606 slimline
Philips 55put6400
kef 305 5.1(adding dolby atoms speaker later this year)
DM8000(dream box)
I would like to use the 203 as my main audio in put for CDs so would connect it to the NR1606 slimline via a 2.0a hdmi cable to the audio input.I would connect the TV direct to the oppo 203 and my dm8000 to the HDMI input on the 203,to allow it to upscale to 4k.( i will get all the correct cables).
But my tv(Philips 55put6400) is not HDR just 4k would the oppo be overkill for this tv.I would like to upgrade the tv in the future to a OLED lg, but the wife would divorce me if i spent £650 on player then £1800 on a new tv.
My other dilemma is i use the tv for amazon prime 4k content, how would i get the sound to my av from my tv? i now use a optical cable but this would not allow certain audio signals such as dolby atmos.
first posted in beginners thread sorry
Does your tv and receiver support audio return channel? Although not sure all the audio encodings will be sent through that either? Does prime even send atmos or any enhanced audio other than Dolby?

I've read that most tvs will send 5.1 over the optical out if it comes from the tv itself like antenna signal or built in app, i.e. not from an input to the tv like a DVD player.

Since the 203 does not support any apps, you may have to get a Roku or something else that can connect to your receiver.

I didn't think Amazon prime had any 4K programming, does it?

bronty

Grip
Real Name
neil
Thank you Phil you have solved my problem i will use the arc cable from my tv to my amp that will allow me to use DTS audio on amazon prime.
I have gone for the plunge picking a 203 up tomorrow from Manchester when i get the wife xmas present.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks, I found the link after my previous post. I might spring for the external plug and play as I had difficulty opening up previous Oppo players to install the internal kit.
For now, I decided to not buy this region free mod. kit. I'll just keep my 103 on Region B and use the 203 for Region A in my main HT setup.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Thank you Phil you have solved my problem i will use the arc cable from my tv to my amp that will allow me to use DTS audio on amazon prime.
I have gone for the plunge picking a 203 up tomorrow from Manchester when i get the wife xmas present.
just read this and some other articles I googled:
https://www.lifewire.com/audio-return-channel-1846845
You may still not get atmos or any HD audio formats. One article said the most you can get is 6.1 due to max 7 channels.

It also may be up to what the tv will support.

bronty

Grip
Real Name
neil
I went to Manchester today (nightmare traffic)to pick up my oppo 203.Only got back home a couple hours ago so i have not much time to tamper with the settings.When i first switched on i could not get a picture.Turned out i had put the hdmi(the one supplied) lead the wrong way round.I have my tv connected direct and the audio to my NR1606.I have my dream box(linux satellite decoder and IPTV player) to hdmi in.I am waiting for a new hdmi lead from tv to the Nr1606 to arrive.
I have no UHD disks, as there is no film i want to watch that i have not seen out yet.
I poped in and old BR disk of Knights templar left the setting as auto and i was impressed by the picture and sound.
I played Neil Young After the gold rush and Harvest,bob marley exodus and pink floyd Animals.I liked the warm it gave on the sound quality set in multi channel stereo.I did prefer it playing in pure direct with my Marantz processing the sound.
Unfortunately the wife is watching Poirot as you can see so i am banned form more tinkering.
IMG_0664.jpg

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I just hooked my 203 up. Have not fully set it up but audio (2-channel music) sounds (to me) a tad smoother and more refined on the couple of things I played vs. the 103D.

The rear panels also look a bit different (the 203 has vents)

bronty

Grip
Real Name
neil
Just a quick one i tried to put a old HD DVD of Led Zeppelin the song remains the same and it would not recognise the disk but that was expected.
I did not receive a firmware up date disk as i have read some users received .I just updated via the wireless network.
It won’t recognise Ts files on usb

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just a quick one i tried to put a old HD DVD of Led Zeppelin the song remains the same and it would not recognise the disk but that was expected.
I did not receive a firmware up date disk as i have read some users received .I just updated via the wireless network.
It won’t recognise Ts files on usb
Yeah, I received the update disc with my player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks