1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Oppo Releases UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave Upton, Dec 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Jason
    I guess demand was nuts considering how the order number count looked and the site crashing. I got my email about 20 mins after users at AVS reported getting them, and it took me another hour to actually order since their site was wonky, and my order number was 2896XX. Mine will be here today.

2. Number 6

Number 6 Stunt Coordinator

Steve Hahn
    They obviously were a bit unprepared for the large volume of orders. If I had to guess, their request to not publish or share the order link that was meant exclusively for people on the mailing/waiting list was ignored. So, consequently, they had far more orders than their list of folks on their mailing list would have prepared them for. (I think it's charming that they thought that people would actually have manners and follow their request for fair play.)

When I initially ordered, I had all sorts of anomalous errors errors on the website that prevented my order from being placed. I finally just called them and got it sorted. Looks like I was just in time. (They also asked for my information--I get the feeling that they were 'vetting' requests; cross-matching them with folks that were on the original waiting list. But I could be wrong.)

3. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Aside from some niche of folks on places like HTF and AVS (or similar sites) how many folks outside these small HT related worlds would even know, let alone buy an Oppo item? I can't imagine Oppo having a huge stockpile of these vs. say a mainstream Samsung or other name brand sold all over the place (B&M etc). Hence maybe that's why we saw the quick "sold out" messages.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    After some reflection, since I don't have a 4K display to watch now, I'm not going to sweat having my order cancelled by Oppo. I'll just spend the $566 including shipping costs on other Xmas items. I might buy it later or just give my business to some other vendor that doesn't cancel one's order without explanation.

5. gadgtfreek

Supporter

Jason
    I know one thing, I was on the presale for the 103 and 103D, and did not run into the issues this one had.

Someone at AVS hacked the link and shared with all, which was crappy for those who signed up and were waiting that may have missed it due to work, etc...

Luckily I was off yesterday, and just sat there trying to buy for an hour.

Number 6 likes this.
  6. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

The Panasonic UHD player is very impressive I ordered it at Value Electronics.

Steve Morgan likes this.
  7. Number 6

Steve Hahn
    Ah, of course. Nice going, AVS...

I wish I could say this surprises me.

8. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    I have the display, but was holding out for a player. Why would I want the Oppo versus the Panny, Samsung, or Xbox S? My set doesn't have Dolby Vision, I should have waited one year. LG EF9500.

I remember when the Samsung was released there seemed to be issues with calibration settings being all over the place depending on what movie was being watched due to HDR. I haven't kept up to date and don't know if these issues have been ironed out yet.

I like that they left off the apps, every TV seems to have them, there are Firesticks, Chromecasts, Rokus, we have enough devices with streaming apps already.

9. Number 6

Steve Hahn
    All I can say is based on my experience with their BDP-103D player. It is, hands down, the best picture quality I've seen in a bluray player--and it upscales 1080p to 4k impressively. To boot, it's built like a tank, plays SEVERAL audio formats (love that it doesn't leave SACD enthusiasts like me out in the cold) and every video format I can throw at it.

Based on this it was a no brainer to return to Oppo for my first Ultra HD player. And I'm even in Canada, where both the lousy exchange and the duty/shipping add a premium. It's still worth it, in the long run.

Everett S., George_W_K and SAhmed like this.
  10. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Not only that, but in my experience Oppo's customer service is second to none. If there's a problem, they take care of it.

SAhmed likes this.
  11. gadgtfreek

Supporter

Jason

I have the 9500 as well, cal'd by Chad B. I have found, due to what I feel are gamma issues in HDR mode, and a lack of cal control, I enjoyed the Panny and the Fury Intergral which allowed me to strip HDR and keep 4K and BT 2020 10 bit WCG intact. The display going into HDR mode is the issue for me, and you cant really cal them in that mode, unlike the 2016's, but they arent perfect either. When I found out the Oppo would allow for stripping of HDR on board, I sold the Panny and Fury and have been waiting. Its basically $699 + $250 vs $549. To me, the Oppo and a Roku Ultra (what I have) or Premier + is a great combo.

Everett S. and George_W_K like this.
  12. ArnoldLayne

ArnoldLayne Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Chris
    "The UDP-203 supports the HDR10 format, and it is also capable of providing an accurate conversion from HDR to SDR for older displays."

SAhmed likes this.
  13. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Will there be a Darbee version or is that not needed any more with the new video processor or is its function not compatible with UHD? Would I see a difference on regular HD bluray playback between this model and the 103 D (with or without a 4K tv)?

14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Good question, Phil.

I've got a similar question. I'd be curious to see what all the Oppo hoopla is about (my current player is a Pioneer Elite 62FD)...but I don't see me upgrading my display until it dies someday (Panasonic P55ST50 plasma). Wondering if there's an "upscaling effect." So my question is, would there be an improvement in video quality from getting a UHD player with a non-UHD display?

15. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    I also have the Panny ub900 and it is a good player, but it does not play sacd's so I will buy the OPPO when back in stock. I do know the the construction on the Opposite is the Best! The Panny is very light as opposed to the Oppo 95 I sold. I think the Panny does a good job with HDR. You think Oppo would have been better prepared due to all the forums chatter.

16. gadgtfreek

Supporter

Jason
    I think Darbee will need to come out with a UHD version first. May see a 203D if they do.

For 1080p, the recommendation would be a 103D or 103, but unless they have refurbs they are only now selling the 203.

The MediaTek chip is always improving and the one in the 203 is a joint effort custom chip for Oppo, so I have no doubt it is "reference" output. That being said, with a 1080p display, unless you want to use it as a scaler for 720p/1080i content from say your dvr, or playback a 2160p disc at 1080p to get advanced audio like Atmos, I don't think you gain anything.

There are plenty of folks with 4K players outputting 4K discs at 1080p so they can get advanced audio.

DavidJ likes this.
  17. cjplay

cjplay Auditioning

Chris
    HDR has a few flavors now, just to clarify on the OP's point. HDR10 with static 2086 metadata and the 2084 curve, Dolby Vision with dynamic metadata/12bit possible/PQ curve/2020 gamut, HLG with the 709-capable gamma curve for down-mapping, and one loosely called PQ10 which uses the 2084 PQ curve without any 2086 metadata. Panasonic has a standard as well, but I've not actually seen anyone using it yet. Technically I would call them all loosely compatible with the BD UHD Optional specs if Panasonic doesn't mess up the color flagging like they did with BD and the multiple gamut definition options getting disallowed. Anyway, looking forward to Oppo's continued dominance in the quality space for BD support!

18. Message #38 of 468 Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    Number 6

Steve Hahn
    My assumption is that they were prepared--for their pre-orders and wait-list customers.

They sent notifications which included an ordering link to folks on the list specifically requesting that the link not be shared as to ensure that only the folks that were on the list would have an opportunity to order a unit.

What actually happened--naturally, as is the nature of people--was that the request to not share the link was ignored, pouring in orders, leaving folks that were actually notified out in the cold order-wise.

Thankfully, I'm one of the folks that got his order successfully processed--but only after calling them directly; the website had several anomalous issues due to the high traffic that prevented ordering. Had I not had a convenient break in the early morning at work to call them, I am sure that I would be one of the unhappy folks that got pushed out, even though I was on the official notification list.

gadgtfreek likes this.
  19. demonfoo

demonfoo Auditioning

Derrik Pates
    It's not quite accurate to say it's launching with full Dolby Vision support - the SoC has the necessary logic to support it (which I assume Dolby has at least signed off on, otherwise I doubt they'd have mentioned it in the marketing materials), but it still needs firmware updates to implement the software side of the equation -and of course, UHD-BD discs with DV, which are still several months out.

dpippel likes this.
  20. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

If that is the case then it's all good. The Samsung player wasn't that good at converting HDR for my older set.