What's new

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I've had the 820 for a couple of months and it's worked fine - for the most part. The player randomly shuts off after I power it up for no obvious reason. It doesn't always happen upon bootup but it does happen. So far it's just an annoyance and I'm kinda concerned for how this glitch may impact the player in the future. Will it cause other issues? Returning it may not be an option for me for two reasons: 1) The first player was returned by the carrier because I wasn't available that day. Instead of attempting redelivery the next day the buffoons just sent it back and I'm currently fighting Best Buy to get that charge removed from my account. The second reason is I've disposed of all the packaging material like I always do when I get new gear.

So while I'm overall happy with the player, it hasn't exactly been a perfect first impression.

BTW, how can I get rid of the annoying feature that vocalizes every button I press? If the voice didn't sound like someone inhaled a tank of helium, it wouldn't be so bad.
Given this players overall pedigree, I doubt there's actually anything wrong with it. At the risk of being condescending [not my intent] have you made sure the power connection is secure at both ends, tried a different outlet, etc.? It might also be worthwhile to try a different power cord.

Finally, are you using any HDMI CEC-type configuration in your system? That can also cause weird anomalies such as this.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you’re like me and use a projector that can’t do Dolby Vision, you can save money with the entry model 420. I don’t know that there’s any real difference other than lacking DV for playing UHD discs.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
If you’re like me and use a projector that can’t do Dolby Vision, you can save money with the entry model 420. I don’t know that there’s any real difference other than lacking DV for playing UHD discs.
There are a few cosmetic differences and the 420 also lacks 7.1 analog outputs.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF you're an audiophile, I'd think you'd likely be choosing some other player than the 820 instead... whether the 9000 or some other brand... unless there's an audiophile-oriented modded version of the 820 (I'm not aware of) perhaps...

Still, at least some audiophiles do prefer digital connection anyway... but might possibly still not care for the 820 anyhow, especially since Pannys don't do SACD... IF they go w/ the 820, it might be used exclusively for video-oriented content, not "serious" music listening -- they may well have some other player for dedicated music listening instead.

_Man_

Last edited:

Green Mountaineer

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Question: Do you think a cleaning disc would have helped in my situation? Brush or air type?

I received the DP UB820 a week ago from Amazon. Love everything about it, except that half of my very limited UHD discs froze. I am very new to the UHD disc world. When I got past the frozen bit, the sound was off my more than a second and would go in and out every couple of seconds. The disc would never recover. After reading so many great reviews of this player, I was shocked. Amazon is replacing it for free (out for delivery to our home right now) and I am returning the "lemon" player to Amazon via UPS tomorrow. No cost to me since I acted within 30 days.

I tried cleaning the discs with micro-fiber cloths to no avail. I also tried camera lens alcohol wipes on the discs which also did not work. It points to the player being problematic. Can't wait to try the new player tonight.

Thanks for listening.

Green Mountaineer

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Question: Do you think a cleaning disc would have helped in my situation? Brush or air type?

I received the DP UB820 a week ago from Amazon. Love everything about it, except that half of my very limited UHD discs froze. I am very new to the UHD disc world. When I got past the frozen bit, the sound was off my more than a second and would go in and out every couple of seconds. The disc would never recover. After reading so many great reviews of this player, I was shocked. Amazon is replacing it for free (out for delivery to our home right now) and I am returning the "lemon" player to Amazon via UPS tomorrow. No cost to me since I acted within 30 days.

I tried cleaning the discs with micro-fiber cloths to no avail. I also tried camera lens alcohol wipes on the discs which also did not work. It points to the player being problematic. Can't wait to try the new player tonight.

Thanks for listening.

Green Mountaineer
For your financial safety I don't disagree with your decision and would probably have done the same thing. I've had similar problems with several UHD discs but hardly ever with standard Blu Rays. When lockups did occur, my cleaning disc didn't help but cleaning the actual media sometimes did. I'm starting to think it's more a problem with discs. Most of the ones I had problems with were purchased via eBay. No more.

Green Mountaineer

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
For your financial safety I don't disagree with your decision and would probably have done the same thing. I've had similar problems with several UHD discs but hardly ever with standard Blu Rays. When lockups did occur, my cleaning disc didn't help but cleaning the actual media sometimes did. I'm starting to think it's more a problem with discs. Most of the ones I had problems with were purchased via eBay. No more.
Thanks for weighing in. This time, it was the machine...so far. The replacement that I received yesterday is working perfectly. The first 4K disc that I put in, loaded 10 times faster than the last machine. That spoke volumes from the get-go. So, far I LOVE this Panny UB-820.

Green Mountaineer

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
I think if half of your discs failed to work on a brand new machine, returning/exchanging the machine was the right course of action. That’s too high a failure rate for a brand new, out of the box item.
Thanks. Me too! I felt the same way. So far, so good. The replacement model is working perfectly.

Green Mountaineer

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Yeah, I too have never had a lick of a problem with any Blu-Ray! Do you think that with all the extra 4K data on the same sized disk, errors might happen more frequently throughout the community of physical movie collectors?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Yeah, I too have never had a lick of a problem with any Blu-Ray! Do you think that with all the extra 4K data on the same sized disk, errors might happen more frequently throughout the community of physical movie collectors?
Simply put, "yes." 4K discs are dual [sometimes 3] - layer and have higher storage capacity [up to 100 GB] compared to standard Blu Rays which [while they can be 2-layer 50 GB] are usually single layer 25 GB. Both are read by the same 405nm blue laser. Even though they use a more efficient compression codec [H.265 vs H.264 or MPEG 2] UHD discs will require players to work harder to process all of the data. I "believe" all of these factors combine to make 4K disc playback more susceptible to surface imperfections.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks for weighing in. This time, it was the machine...so far. The replacement that I received yesterday is working perfectly. The first 4K disc that I put in, loaded 10 times faster than the last machine. That spoke volumes from the get-go. So, far I LOVE this Panny UB-820.
I'm just happy to hear things are better and you caught it in time!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think I’m in th market for this player.
I have an old Sony that is prone to freezing, locking up etc.
Now it doesn’t play some discs.

Didnt really want to spend $400+ on a player but I guess if I want a decent one and Dolby vision this is probably the one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks