What's new

OLIVE FILMS PRESENTS - Olive Signature (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
For what it's worth, Olive send me emails about their future releases. Most of their titles don't interest me but I was and am very pleased with Strategic Air Command.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm very sorry to our members for this. It just saddens me that a deal like this has been made, we have been completely shut out for weeks, and then are expected to promote their titles at a later date.

I understand your rationale, I would just say I hope you are not cutting off your nose to spite your face. By that I mean I use your links to Amazon to put in pre-orders on the discs I purchase, and I don't want HTF to lose out on revenue, no matter how small.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
And, folks, if they are not going to include us in their announcement plans, I would rather not promote them at all here.

On the same terms, I don't want to have HTF members not be informed.

I am not crazy about that listing above as its promoting their titles. Can we come to some sort of compromise on how we are going to move forward in promoting or not promoting this company?

The revenue intake due to us cutting off Olive Films is negligible. I appreciate the thought, though. I am more concerned about the company cutting us off from press releases and giving a 2+ week exclusive to another site.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The problem is, Olive withholds release information from us.

I suppose they have some special relationship with the other site. That's fine. We have an exclusive release window with Twilight Time.

This arrangement we do not mind.

However, our exclusive with Twilight Time is for about 6 hours.

Olive gives the other site release information about two weeks or more in advance and refuses to release it to us.

I just don't find that to be a fair arrangement, and as such, I don't see any reason why we should be promoting any of their titles on this forum.

I'm very sorry to our members for this. It just saddens me that a deal like this has been made, we have been completely shut out for weeks, and then are expected to promote their titles at a later date.

Am I all wrong about this, but isn't HTF the most active and well-attended such forum anywhere on the net? If so, isn't it monumentally stupid for Olive to be treating us that way, and losing a good chunk of their promotional potential?

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Am I all wrong about this, but isn't HTF the most active and well-attended such forum anywhere on the net? If so, isn't it monumentally counterproductive for Olive to be treating us that way?

Dick,

We are no longer the largest and most attended forum of its kind on the Internet.

However, our audience is certainly large enough that it shouldn't be ignored.

I have no explanation other than Olive making some sort of exclusive deal with another site.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I understand your rationale, I would just say I hope you are not cutting off your nose to spite your face. By that I mean I use your links to Amazon to put in pre-orders on the discs I purchase, and I don't want HTF to lose out on revenue, no matter how small.
If you use my Pre-Order Listing to place orders from Amazon, HTF will still get credit for such purchases. Right now, Amazon hasn't activated any links to those August 29th titles from Olive, but they're listed on my listing and will be linked once activated.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/amazon-pre-orders/

Last edited:

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
If Olive has something of interest and reviews are positive, I will buy it. For example, I am interested to see whether 'The Stranger' will improve on previous versions.

So I don't think it's a bad thing if people post their latest releases. I thought this forum was about the movies and their presentation on disc. If there are disagreements about promotional strategies, that shouldn't prevent folks from posting about new releases and talking about them.

Perhaps you could ask people not to post Amazon links to their discs...

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
If Olive has something of interest and reviews are positive, I will buy it. For example, I am interested to see whether 'The Stranger' will improve on previous versions.

So I don't think it's a bad thing if people post their latest releases. I thought this forum was about the movies and their presentation on disc. If there are disagreements about promotional strategies, that shouldn't prevent folks from posting about new releases and talking about them.

Perhaps you could ask people not to post Amazon links to their discs...
THIS!

I do not post Amazon links from any other site (other than some European releases since those come from Amazon UK, DE, etc). But for HTF to suggest that release info for any labels' titles shouldn't be publicized or posted on HTF seems contrary to what this forum is about....the dissemination and discussion of information. Disputes revolving around promotional strategies or exclusivity arrangement, etc should be, IMO, between the owners of HTF and the owners of the entities the dispute is with.

I visit HTF and other forums (mainly the Forum That Shall Not Be Named) daily, several times a day, mainly seeking release info. I gladly share any release info I find on that site or any other site with the members of HTF as, unfortunately, HTF is generally a little behind the curve on updated release info, particularly for some of the smaller labels.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
THIS!
I visit HTF and other forums (mainly the Forum That Shall Not Be Named) daily, several times a day, mainly seeking release info. I gladly share any release info I find on that site or any other site with the members of HTF as, unfortunately, HTF is generally a little behind the curve on updated release info, particularly for some of the smaller labels.
What can I say, I try my best to update the following:

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/amazon-pre-orders/

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
HTF does a very good job of staying on top of all major studio announcements.

Sometimes our members try to beat us to the punch and post their own announcements instead of giving us a little more time to do it ourselves. I only do an Amazon scan once per day.

However, to date, I haven't bitched or moaned about members posting some release news.

The smaller titles? We just can't do it. We are not set up to be automated like the other site is. All the release information has to be manually entered, and really, there just isn't enough interest in the smaller independent studios to spend the time posting major pre-order announcements.

As Crawdaddy has mentioned, he has done a great job keeping his list up-to-date which should greatly give some of you precisely the information you are looking for.

As far as what will happen with Olive Films....

If you guys want to advertise their upcoming releases I cannot stop you. I am not happy about supporting a company that goes out of its way to leave us in the dust with their press releases, but I really can't stop you guys from posting that information.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

If you are talking about the Welles' THE STRANGER, I bought the blu ray and it was pretty poor. In fact, it was worse looking and sounding than the MGM released DVD. I keep getting these licenses mixed up, but if Olive has a deal with MGM, I am sure the film will be transferred from the original elements (or fine grain, as MGM has chain of title and the library of elements.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks