What's new

OLIVE FILMS PRESENTS - Olive Signature (1 Viewer)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
If reviews say OK, then I'll buy yet another version of 'High Noon' ... the pics with the announcement did make it look as if the grey-scale has been satisfactorily dealt with.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Slightly off topic but... Olive is having a BOGO sale at Deep Discount right now. Puts most titles around $10...

Deep Discount is up to its customer unfriendly practices again. I placed an order for eight Olive titles which were listed as backordered. Okay, at $10 apiece figure I can wait. Yesterday Deep Discount e-mailed me that the backordered portion of my order was cancelled because the titles were "unavailable." So I check at Deep Discount this evening, and five of the eight titles are listed as in stock, a day after they supposedly were unavailable! So I ordered them again, and added another title that I had my eye on.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Deep Discount is up to its customer unfriendly practices again. I placed an order for eight Olive titles which were listed as backordered. Okay, at $10 apiece figure I can wait. Yesterday Deep Discount e-mailed me that the backordered portion of my order was cancelled because the titles were "unavailable." So I check at Deep Discount this evening, and five of the eight titles are listed as in stock, a day after they supposedly were unavailable! So I ordered them again, and added another title that I had my eye on.

Yes, they have been terrible as always. I had 3 of my titles cancelled due to them being OOS, only for them to come back in stock later that day. I reordered, even though I shouldn't have bothered...

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I had the opposite problem with Deep Discount. They listed the item as being in stock and I placed an order. When they sent me an e-mail that my "items" had shipped, the title was missing. I called and they said it was on backorder. I told them to cancel the item because I would never had ordered it if I knew they didn't have it in stock. I got a refund.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
You know, I may very well double dip these both someday, but I REALLY hope they have some "unreleased in blu-ray" titles up their sleeve. There is such an embarrassing lack of new classic releases out there. How about a BD of DeMille's The Buccaneer, since they only put it out in DVD? Just something new, for Christ's sake.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Strange. I've never had a problem with Deep Discount.

I did order two titles in this current sale. Both titles were listed as "back order" but they're on their way to me.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
You know, I may very well double dip these both someday, but I REALLY hope they have some "unreleased in blu-ray" titles up their sleeve. There is such an embarrassing lack of new classic releases out there. How about a BD of DeMille's The Buccaneer, since they only put it out in DVD? Just something new, for Christ's sake.

They've been releasing new-to-blu catalog titles every month for five years, which by my record encompasses 364 pre-90s titles. They've also released a fair amount of 1990s-2010s titles. They release a mere 2 remasters (of films that only got 4k restorations after their initial releases) and everyone cries bloody murder.

Last edited:

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
With this new Olive Signature series derived from 4K restorations of films that they previously released on Blu-ray

(and, yes, I am re-buying "High Noon" even though I thought their previous Blu-ray looked pretty darn good),

I would love for them to find the original materials for the 1956 "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" --

That old slapped on so-called "SuperScope" 2.00-to-1 aspect ratio is such bull,
and
if Olive could pull off getting an upgrade of that film from more original materials
and
giving it to us in the aspect ratio for which it was originally photographed (1.85 and not 2.00 as it was released),
then
I will re-buy that film again as well.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
A FEW "SIGNATURE" suggestions:

RIO GRANDE
INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)
INDISCREET
THE BULLFIGHTER & THE LADY
THE WILD ANGELS
THE RUNNING MAN (1987)

and BTW, how about:
THE RUNNING MAN (1963) L. Harvey, L. Remick, C. Reed

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
BTW, as I understand it, the pre-code Czec classic ECSTASY (1933, Hedy Lamarr) is with Paramount. Would be awesome if Olive released this (the uncut version, ofcourse) as I can't see Paramnt itself doing so, and I believe the old Image DVD is long OOP.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
With this new Olive Signature series derived from 4K restorations of films that they previously released on Blu-ray

(and, yes, I am re-buying "High Noon" even though I thought their previous Blu-ray looked pretty darn good),

I would love for them to find the original materials for the 1956 "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" --

That old slapped on so-called "SuperScope" 2.00-to-1 aspect ratio is such bull,
and
if Olive could pull off getting an upgrade of that film from more original materials
and
giving it to us in the aspect ratio for which it was originally photographed (1.85 and not 2.00 as it was released),
then
I will re-buy that film again as well.

Agreed. I would love for Olive Signature to remaster those older Silver Screen Classics Republic DVDs:

Bells of St. Mary's
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Rio Grande
Sands of Iwo Jima

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Paramount is doing the restorations. Olive is simply licensing a new master. All the credit goes to Paramount's excellent preservation department.

Very true. But isn't some of the money for the restoration coming from Olive—which means ultimately from us?

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Personally, I hope that Olive is able to get some new masters for some of the Cary Grant titles they have released previously (particularly Operation Petticoat), either of the two Ginger Rogers films (Magnificent Doll and Forever Female), or since they might go well with the upcoming Marx Brothers set from Universal, Love Happy and Copacabana.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Perhaps I should be the jerk who starts a thread about why Subtitles Are Necessary
and
How To Do Subtitles.

Simple answer would be to do what Universal Pictures does:

Solid and pronounced and non-transparent White Subtitles
that are Perfect for Black & White and Color movies.

Olive Films Signature Collection "High Noon" Subtitles
and also
on their recent & visually excellent Blu-ray of "The Monster of Piedras Blancas" w/ Subtitles
unfortunately
harkens back to the horrid and ugly and aesthetically awful YELLOW (yep yelling here)
of those old (and unwatchable) Columbia DVD subs.

Please! Olive, we are 10 years into Blu-ray.

No, they are not as awful as the old Columbia standard def DVDs,
but
they are still awful.

A "Signature Collection" or any modern release with any color subtitles -- Wrong!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
A "Signature Collection" or any modern release with any color subtitles -- Wrong!

You are, of course, speaking for yourself. Some of us PREFER the yellow subtitles which are much easier to read especially when placed on a white background! So Olive .... bring on the yellow! People have been whining about the lack of subtitles on some blu rays for years. Now we get them but now they whine about the color! I'm so happy to have them, they can be red for all I care! Ya can't win! What next? Complaints about the type of font used?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks