What's new

Press Release Shout! Studios Press Release: JFK (1991) Collector's Edition (4k UHD Combo) (2 Viewers)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I've decided to pre-order this 4K/UHD release because I like this movie enough that I'm looking forward to a 4K upgrade.
Without knowing IF the theatrical cut will be included in 4k? (Or maybe you prefer the director's cut?)
You're brave!

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
"JFK" is packed with lies.

There's nothing there "treated with intelligence".

Stone latched onto many disproved notions and treated them like fact.

The movie's a work of fiction with little connection to reality.

And it besmirches the name of an innocent man due to Jim Garrison's scummy behavior.
That's your interpretation.

Fine.

I disagree completely.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm so happy that I haven't been in this thread since Monday. :laugh:
Yeah, this thread is becoming difficult to read right now. Several people have expressed their opinions about this film, but now it's starting to get monotonous with the same negative or positive opinions about this film from the same individuals. To those people, you've made your point(s)! Please, enough already because your POV has been clearly stated for all to read and understand your thoughts about this film. Let the rest of us participate in this thread without having to see your POV repeated again and again.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
With the understanding, acknowledgment and respect that we are not likely to agree on this point, the way I see the film isn’t that Stone brought the case against Shaw back to life, but that Stone made a biography of someone who had bonkers beliefs. To me it’s a movie about someone falling down a rabbit hole, not a movie about what really happened.

Boy, do I disagree that Stone makes Garrison look nuts.

The film treats him like a national hero, the one honest man willing to fight the system to reveal the truth.

I can think of literally nothing in that movie that implies Garrison is anything other than sane, logical and honorable.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
It's obvious to me that both sides of this argument are wrong and have been duped.

Aliens did it, guys. Duh. :P

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
It's obvious to me that both sides of this argument are wrong and have been duped.

Aliens did it, guys. Duh. :P
Bill Paxton Aliens GIF

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
It inspired the Keith Hernandez "spitting" episode of Seinfeld which is especially fun because Wayne Night, aka Newman!, was also in the precise-JFK scene being parodied.
I’ve seen that episode of Seinfeld more times than I can count and I knew it was a parody of a scene from JFK but I had never bothered to actually watch the movie.

After dinner tonight, I finally sat down and streamed the theatrical version (the only one available on AppleTV+). It was entertaining and I’m glad I saw it but I don’t think I’d ever sit through it again. Three hours is a commitment for a film and I usually don’t have that kind of time on my hands anymore.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Top post is updated with the official press release but as we are 5 pages in I'll include just the highlights here:

JFK (COLLECTOR’S EDITION) SPECIAL FEATURES:

DISC ONE (4K)
JFK
4K Ultra HD
Director’s Cut
Shout Select, Shout! Studios, Warner Bros., Ultra HD Blu-ray, 4K Ultra HD, Dolby Vision, DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, SDH, Rated R
2160p Ultra High-Definition Widescreen (2.39:1) / Approximate Feature Running Time: +/- 205 Minutes

NEW 2023 4K UHD Director-Approved Scan Of The Original Negative In Dolby Vision
Audio Commentary With Director, Producer & Co-Writer Oliver Stone

DISC TWO (Blu-Ray)
JFK
Blu-Ray
Director’s Cut
Shout Select, Shout Studios, Warner Bros., Blu-ray, DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Region A, SDH, Rated R
1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.39:1) / Approximate Feature Running Time: +/- 205 Minutes

NEW 4K Director-Approved Scan From The Original Negative

DISC THREE (Blu-Ray)
JFK
Blu-Ray
Theatrical Cut
Shout Select, Shout Studios, Warner Bros., Blu-ray, DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Region A, SDH, Rated R
1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.39:1) / Approximate Feature Running Time: +/- 188 Minutes

DISC FOUR (Blu-Ray)
JFK
Blu-Ray
Special Features
Shout Select, Shout Studios, Warner Bros., Blu-ray, DTS-HD Master Audio, Region A,
1080p High-Definition Widescreen (Various)

NEW "One Person Can Make A Difference" - Oliver Stone on JFK
NEW "Stone Bold" - Cinematographer Robert Richardson on JFK
NEW "Brave New Worlds" - Editor Hank Corwin on JFK
NEW "Supporting The Vision" - Co-Producer Clayton Townsend On JFK
NEW "Re-Creating The Unthinkable" - Special Makeup Effects Artist Gordon J. Smith On JFK
NEW "The Delicate Hands Of Time" - Dallas Location Manager Patty Doherty Hess on JFK
12 Deleted And Extended Scenes /Alternate Ending (With Optional Director Commentary) (55 Minutes)
"Assassination Updated" (30 minutes)
"Meet Mr. X: The Personality And Thoughts Of Fletcher Prouty" (11 Minutes)
Still Gallery
Theatrical Trailer

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Top post is updated with the official press release but as we are 5 pages in I'll include just the highlights here:

JFK (COLLECTOR’S EDITION) SPECIAL FEATURES:

DISC ONE (4K)
JFK
4K Ultra HD
Director’s Cut
Shout Select, Shout! Studios, Warner Bros., Ultra HD Blu-ray, 4K Ultra HD, Dolby Vision, DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, SDH, Rated R
2160p Ultra High-Definition Widescreen (2.39:1) / Approximate Feature Running Time: +/- 205 Minutes

NEW 2023 4K UHD Director-Approved Scan Of The Original Negative In Dolby Vision

DISC TWO (Blu-Ray)
JFK
Blu-Ray
Director’s Cut
1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.39:1) / Approximate Feature Running Time: +/- 205 Minutes

DISC THREE (Blu-Ray)
JFK
Blu-Ray
Theatrical Cut
1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.39:1) / Approximate Feature Running Time: +/- 188 Minutes

DISC FOUR (Blu-Ray)
JFK
Blu-Ray
Special Features
Shout Select, Shout Studios, Warner Bros., Blu-ray, DTS-HD Master Audio, Region A,
1080p High-Definition Widescreen (Various)

NEW "One Person Can Make A Difference" - Oliver Stone on JFK
NEW "Stone Bold" - Cinematographer Robert Richardson on JFK
NEW "Brave New Worlds" - Editor Hank Corwin on JFK
NEW "Supporting The Vision" - Co-Producer Clayton Townsend On JFK
NEW "Re-Creating The Unthinkable" - Special Makeup Effects Artist Gordon J. Smith On JFK
NEW "The Delicate Hands Of Time" - Dallas Location Manager Patty Doherty Hess on JFK
12 Deleted And Extended Scenes /Alternate Ending (With Optional Director Commentary) (55 Minutes)
"Assassination Updated" (30 minutes)
"Meet Mr. X: The Personality And Thoughts Of Fletcher Prouty" (11 Minutes)
Still Gallery
Theatrical Trailer

A missed opportunity not having the theatrical cut on a 4K/UHD disc especially at that price point.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
A missed opportunity not having the theatrical cut on a 4K/UHD disc especially at that price point.

I'll still buy it (as I did Natural Born Killers), but yeah, that's a disappointment. Especially since the theartrical cut of this movie was nominated for Best Picture - and won for Best Editing!

Typical Oliver Stone, though. The Academy hands his film an Oscar for Best Editing and the first thing he does is re-edit it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll still buy it (as I did Natural Born Killers), but yeah, that's a disappointment. Especially since the theartrical cut of this movie was nominated for Best Picture - and won for Best Editing!

Typical Oliver Stone, though. The Academy hands his film an Oscar for Best Editing and the first thing he does is re-edit it.
I’m thinking that whenever the digital is upgraded to 4K, it will be the theatrical cut. It’s just my hunch and it will be a few years due to Shout Factory’s exclusivity window.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just finished watching JFK for the very first time

I avoided this film like the plague, though the Digibook Blu-ray sat on the shelf for years unwrapped.

As I previously stated, I have little regard for Oliver Stone and his conspiracy theories. However, there has been enough attention and positive advice given in this thread that I figured I would give it a watch.

I am surprised. It's a superb film. I was astonished by the "whose who" of mostly deceased actors who appeared in this movie. I think the one thing that stood out most for me was some of the most incredible film editing I have seen.

I thought the Blu-ray presentation was terrific (particularly the 5.1 mix) so I'll probably not opt to watch this again anytime soon and probably pick up the 4k if it's eventually available on the cheap.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think you should have watched the theatrical cut first, but anyway...

Would it really have made a difference?

I don't think the theatrical cut was available on the Blu-ray so that would have been completely impossible to do.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Would it really have made a difference?

I don't think the theatrical cut was available on the Blu-ray so that would have been completely impossible to do.
Well, the director's cut is 17 minutes longer, so I think there might be pacing issues comparing to the theatrical one, for such a long movie.
Also, the theatrical is the one that won the best editing Oscar.
Yeah, I know it's not available on blu-ray but I think it's available on digital HD.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Odd about the theatrical version not being released in 4K...must be a conspiracy. :rolling-smiley:

I'll pick this up on a price drop.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, the director's cut is 17 minutes longer, so I think there might be pacing issues comparing to the theatrical one, for such a long movie.
Unless one is familiar with the theatrical cut, the additional scenes/scene extensions in the DC likely wouldn't feel out of place, as the editing rhythms and PQ of the additional footage is consistent with the original release.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The packaging for this release looks thicker than a standard 4-disc release: I was thinking it would include a book of some sort, but nothing like that is indicated in the specs. Perhaps the thicker packaging is to give room for a CIA bugging device of some sort... :biggrin:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
The packaging for this release looks thicker than a standard 4-disc release: I was thinking it would include a book of some sort, but nothing like that is indicated in the specs. Perhaps the thicker packaging is to give room for a CIA bugging device of some sort... :biggrin:

Included with each copy is one shell casing from the second gunman's rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks