What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Leave it to Shout Factory and their Select brand to create a gorgeous boxed set of Oliver Stone's 1991 JFK, and go the entire Criterion route with extras and discs, all encased in a high-end heavy paper case - more on that later.

There are four discs in the set, housed in three different cases.

Case 1 holds 4k and HD discs of the Director's Cut.

Case 2 holds a Blu-ray of the Theatrical Version.

Case 3 holds the extras, both new and old, and there enough to keep a fan
busy for an entire evening.

The scan is gorgeous, and the resultant image beautifully mimics a premier print. Grain seems proper, while detail holds up nicely in 4k, especially in long shots.

Color, densities, black levels et al give us an exceptionally clean and stable product.

The outer box is unlike most, as it's very sold - not your standard heavy paper affair and tightly holds the three plastic shells, which aren't going anywhere.

Everything on the reverse of the box, as well as the individual shells are perfectly legible, a problem I've encountered numerous times in the past few months, where one simply cannot read much of anything due to choice of colors. This is perfect.

As I'm a bit space deprived, I'll remove the Blu-ray from the DC case, replace it with the extras disc, and store (or gift) the others.

A wonderful package (think holiday gifts) of a terrific film. Need a review?

Go here: https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-jfk-1991

For those who may not know films of the early 1990s, it stars the guy from Yellowstone, along with a terrific supporting cast that you also not recognize inclusive of:

Sally Kirkland, Edward Asner, Jack Lemmon, Vincent D'Onofrio, Gary Oldman, Sissy Spacek, Laurie Metcalf, Joe Pesci, Walther Matthau, Tommy Lee Jones, John Candy, Kevin Bacon, Donald Sutherland, John Larroquette, and (in archival footage) Richard and Pat Nixon.

Hopefully, those who think that color films came around in the '80s will recognize a few of them.

Image – 10 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 10 (DTS-HS MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 8

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 8

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’m sorry but I think this thread should be used to discuss the technical aspects of this 4K release instead of that usual conspiracy stuff and comical responses. Therefore, I deleted a number of posts that already derailed this thread. Any further such posts will have a similar fate.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I’m sorry but I think this thread should be used to discuss the technical aspects of this 4K release instead of that usual conspiracy stuff and comical responses. Therefore, I deleted a number of posts that already derailed this thread. Any further such posts will have a similar fate.
Thank you!

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
This would have been a perfect candidate for Dolby Atmos
Natural Born Killers would have been a perfect candidate for Atmos. JFK is mostly dialogue, so while an Atmos mix would have been nice, I don't think the result would have been dramatically different than a 5.1 mix. Then again, if Kramer vs. Kramer* deserves an Atmos remix, everything does.

*Nothing against Kramer vs. Kramer: it's a great movie.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I only want a Stand-Alone of the 4K/UHD.

Shout! should go the optional route with JFK as was seen with the recent 4K/UHD release of Titanic.

Options. Gift-Sets or Stand-Alone, It’s as simple as that. No purchase, until then, or when the boxed item goes on sale.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thank you for your review. However, I’m still disappointed that the theatrical version is not in 4K considering the price point of this 4K/UHD release.
Understandable.
Any comment on the theatrical cut on Blu-ray?
I hear it's coming from the same restoration. Is it any good?
What restoration? Where?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Natural Born Killers would have been a perfect candidate for Atmos. JFK is mostly dialogue, so while an Atmos mix would have been nice, I don't think the result would have been dramatically different than a 5.1 mix. Then again, if Kramer vs. Kramer* deserves an Atmos remix, everything does.

*Nothing against Kramer vs. Kramer: it's a great movie.

Yeah, it's always kinda hilarious to see chatty character-based movies with fancy new Atmos remixes.

Like "Love Actually". What good does an Atmos remix do for a film like that???

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully this release will put away the notion going around in some circles that Oliver Stone loves DNR because of what happened to Platoon.

We've now seen three of his movies released with new scans that look "film-like": The Doors, Natural Born Killers, and JFK.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well, there's that part in an airport. :biggrin:

That justifies the Atmos remix right there! ;)

I'll try to stay off my soapbox, but I continually feel perplexed that so many here clamor for Atmos remixes - or any remixes, honestly.

When I review discs, I do review the "whiz-bangiest" tracks because that seems to be what people want to hear.

But as for me, I just want the same audio mix that accompanied the film when it ran theatrically.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Thank you for your review. However, I’m still disappointed that the theatrical version is not in 4K considering the price point of this 4K/UHD release.
Agreed. I don’t know why he created a Director’s Cut when the theatrical was also a director’s cut. I like it and the DC would work well with an intermission. But the theatrical is a tight 189 minutes.

Reactions: PMF

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Hopefully this release will put away the notion going around in some circles that Oliver Stone loves DNR because of what happened to Platoon.

We've now seen three of his movies released with new scans that look "film-like": The Doors, Natural Born Killers, and JFK.
I think there has to be an issue with the source. I know the 4K of Platoon is based on the 4K transfer Shout released in 2018 that Stone supervised. Blu Ray.com gave that one a good review. Back in the 90’s there was the Pioneer Collectors Edition set that was THX certified that had Robert Richardson go back and retime the whole film, adding more black and white, almost draining some of the color. That version was ignored on subsequent DVD and Blu Ray releases. So I can only assume that the neg of Platoon must have some issues. Maybe RAH knows. Anyway I can’t wait to receive this set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks