What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ -Bubba Ho-Tep -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Scream Factory is about to release Don Coscarelli's now two decade-old Bubba Ho-Tep on 4k UHD. The film is an unusual melange of fantasy, horror, comedy with a possibly fact-based background.

Shot on 35/4 and brought to disc via a new scan of the OCN, it's a good-looking and sounding disc. Not certain if grain structure is original, but it's fine in this situation, as one of the characters is 4,000 years old.

The concept of the film probably comes down to personal beliefs. Did JFK survive, and was he whisked off to a safe location, and then dyed black to further hide him from LBJ?

Did Elvis want to get away from the "colonel" enough to exchange places with one of his best impersonators?

And did they both end up in the same retirement facility - Shady Lane in Texas, where they became fast friends?

I'm a believer.

And for those in doubt, Mr. Coscarelli's film will explain it all.

Production notes mention that the film is based upon a Bram Stoker Award-winning short story by Joe R. Lansdale, but I have my doubts as to whether this is fact, and not fiction-based.

I'd not seen B H-T is years, but found it a pleasure spending some time with Scream Factory's 4k. I especially enjoyed discovering a new talent, one Bruce Campbell, who makes a mighty fine Elvis.

As far as extras, fans will once again find themselves in Criterion territory, as Scream Factory gives us hours of audio commentaries, featurettes and extras. A veritable treasure trove.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Bruce Campbell also appeared on the small(er) screen :cool:!

Here is his cv on IMdb (K-E-Y ... M-O-U-S-E)

1675141083227.png

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Wonderful film. Saw it as an unofficial double feature at an arthouse theater upon release after Lost in Translation and they worked surprisingly well together, given their meditations on aging and being in a strange, nee liminal environment.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Scream Factory is about to release Don Coscarelli's now two decade-old Bubba Ho-Tep on 4k UHD. The film is an unusual melange of fantasy, horror, comedy with a possibly fact-based background.

Shot on 35/4 and brought to disc via a new scan of the OCN, it's a good-looking and sounding disc. Not certain if grain structure is original, but it's fine in this situation, as one of the characters is 4,000 years old.

The concept of the film probably comes down to personal beliefs. Did JFK survive, and was he whisked off to a safe location, and then dyed black to further hide him from LBJ?

Did Elvis want to get away from the "colonel" enough to exchange places with one of his best impersonators?

And did they both end up in the same retirement facility - Shady Lane in Texas, where they became fast friends?

I'm a believer.

And for those in doubt, Mr. Coscarelli's film will explain it all.

Production notes mention that the film is based upon a Bram Stoker Award-winning short story by Joe R. Lansdale, but I have my doubts as to whether this is fact, and not fiction-based.

I'd not seen B H-T is years, but found it a pleasure spending some time with Scream Factory's 4k. I especially enjoyed discovering a new talent, one Bruce Campbell, who makes a mighty fine Elvis.

As far as extras, fans will once again find themselves in Criterion territory, as Scream Factory gives us hours of audio commentaries, featurettes and extras. A veritable treasure trove.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks