What's new

OLIVE FILMS PRESENTS - Olive Signature (1 Viewer)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
A drop shadow should always be applied to white subtitles to facilitate legibility, particularly in B&W films. It's a matter of taste. I can live with it, but I find yellow too glaring, too intrusive.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
You are, of course, speaking for yourself. Some of us PREFER the yellow subtitles which are much easier to read especially when placed on a white background! So Olive .... bring on the yellow! People have been whining about the lack of subtitles on some blu rays for years. Now we get them but now they whine about the color! I'm so happy to have them, they can be red for all I care! Ya can't win! What next? Complaints about the type of font used?

Please re-read my rant:
You will notice that I said "non-transparent White Subtitles".

Yes, I am 65 and old enough to remember not being able to read foreign language films with white subtitles.

I have also seen DVDs and Blu-rays with transparent white subtitles and they are a real pain.

But,

I invite all to look at Universal Pictures subtitles on the new Frankenstein Legacy Blu-ray set (Black & White movies)
and
the new Hammer Horror 8 Film Collection (6 of the 8 movies in color) --

All legible
All non-transparent.
All aesthetically pleasing.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
With this new Olive Signature series derived from 4K restorations of films that they previously released on Blu-ray

(and, yes, I am re-buying "High Noon" even though I thought their previous Blu-ray looked pretty darn good),

I would love for them to find the original materials for the 1956 "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" --

That old slapped on so-called "SuperScope" 2.00-to-1 aspect ratio is such bull,
and
if Olive could pull off getting an upgrade of that film from more original materials
and
giving it to us in the aspect ratio for which it was originally photographed (1.85 and not 2.00 as it was released),
then
I will re-buy that film again as well.
God, would I love to see the film sans the narration and bookends (if such materials even exist anymore), which Allied Artists apparently forced on Siegel. Plus the OAR, all scanned at 4K. That would be a dream release.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Body Snatchers could use a new transfer but I would never watch any cut but the one I've enjoyed for decades.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I just lament that we no longer see new releases from Olive in this board. Any way to fix that or is Olive not releasing anything lately? I rarely check in of those "other" websites.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Ron Epstein could explain the situation a lot better, but as I recall, there was a huge falling out that stemmed from Olive's 2-D release of a Martin and Lewis film originally shot in 3-D. I believe the end result was, by Olive's choice, formal reviews and announcements are no longer made on HTF.

CHEERS! :)

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Thanks for the update. I think I received that reply in another thread. I wish that wasn't the case as I typically enjoy most of Olive's releases. Father Goose, Operation Petticoat, Escape from Zahrain, and Strategic Air Command among others. Maybe all parties can make amends.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The problem is, Olive withholds release information from us.

I suppose they have some special relationship with the other site. That's fine. We have an exclusive release window with Twilight Time.

This arrangement we do not mind.

However, our exclusive with Twilight Time is for about 6 hours.

Olive gives the other site release information about two weeks or more in advance and refuses to release it to us.

I just don't find that to be a fair arrangement, and as such, I don't see any reason why we should be promoting any of their titles on this forum.

I'm very sorry to our members for this. It just saddens me that a deal like this has been made, we have been completely shut out for weeks, and then are expected to promote their titles at a later date.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Huh. Didn't know about any of this. This is the only site I go to. Well, 99.9% of the time anyway. Had no idea they were continuing to release more movies. Why alienate potential customers like that? Not very smart on their part.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The problem is, Olive withholds release information from us.

I suppose they have some special relationship with the other site. That's fine. We have an exclusive release window with Twilight Time.

This arrangement we do not mind.

However, our exclusive with Twilight Time is for about 6 hours.

Olive gives the other site release information about two weeks or more in advance and refuses to release it to us.

I just don't find that to be a fair arrangement, and as such, I don't see any reason why we should be promoting any of their titles on this forum.

I'm very sorry to our members for this. It just saddens me that a deal like this has been made, we have been completely shut out for weeks, and then are expected to promote their titles at a later date.
The Twiight window offers a better and superior view, anyway.
This is Olive's loss, Ronald, not ours; as HTF is the only film group to which I am a member.

Last edited:

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Future releases appear to be:

The Stranger (Orson Welles), Aug 29th
184417_medium.jpg

Hell Up in Harlem, Aug 29th
184422_medium.jpg

The Wedding Banquet, August 29th
184423_medium.jpg

Flipper Season 1 and 2, August 29th
184475_medium.jpg

184474_medium.jpg

Olive didn't release any blu-rays in July.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Huh. Didn't know about any of this. This is the only site I go to. Well, 99.9% of the time anyway. Had no idea they were continuing to release more movies. Why alienate potential customers like that? Not very smart on their part.

Totally agreed. I spend zero time at other HT forums. Therefore, I have zero idea of what Olive is up to.

Oh well. If that's the way they want it...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I bought a few Olive discs in this calendar year solely because I saw them being posted about on HTF - they looked interesting, people I respected had good comments about the films themselves, so I took chances on them. Without that discussion to alert me to their product, my purchases from them have dried up.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I bought a few Olive discs in this calendar year solely because I saw them being posted about on HTF - they looked interesting, people I respected had good comments about the films themselves, so I took chances on them. Without that discussion to alert me to their product, my purchases from them have dried up.
Same here.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah.. ultimately, there's a limited amount of money I have to spend each month or each year on discs, and there's always more than I want than available funds or space. There are plenty of titles that I am interested that I'm being made aware of easily through HTF posts. There really isn't much time or money leftover to go hunting on other sites for release listings. It's not like I have any shortage of potential movies to buy. Olive wants a piece of an ever-shrinking, ever-fragmenting market. It's on them to cultivate the customers they want.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Olive is an amateur organization with a lot of dough. They just shove out titles, one after another. I cannot believe anything they release is actually selling. And to choose that other site over this is not only dopey but counterproductive, as no one takes that other site seriously. Their behavior is childish and I'm sure costing them sales. Good business decision, Olive.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Olive is an amateur organization with a lot of dough. They just shove out titles, one after another. I cannot believe anything they release is actually selling.

"amateur" or not, their blu ray of Strategic Air Command is gorgeous and what a joy to finally get a decent looking Johnny Guitar in its correct aspect ratio. I agree their business decisions are ..... let's just say odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks